DnD Next (5e) framework, thief edition

Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

yorick
Cave Troll

DnD Next (5e) framework, thief edition

Post by yorick »

This is a "cobbled together" framework for playing DnD Next (5e). The main things missing right now are a way to edit attacks, and a spell book. Minor things missing is any kind of resource tracking - hit die, &c.

I am sharing it because it's been useful to me in running 5e, and there's only one other 5e framework around right now, on which this is based.

This framework uses other people's code, with tweaks and changes by me.

The code this is all based on came from:

Protesilaus - This framework is based on his, the bulk of the code in here is his.
Aliasmask - attack macro, also used his code to create the ability check
Wolph42 - this contains his BoT, just because it's so useful
lmarkus001 - this contains his global handout library, again because I like it

The campaign file is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236 ... aign.cmpgn

Using the campaign is fairly simple. Heroes and Monsters use similar macros.

Don't use the sinqle quote "'" character in anything - monster and hero names, attack names, skills, etc. The framework does not check for it and will fail.

Set basic stats with "Edit Stats".

Set Proficiency / Expertise with "Add Proficiency / Expertise", and languages with "Add Language". Note you can add new things here.

Equipment can be added in the Character Sheet.

Attacks are added, executed and deleted through the "Attack" macro. Auto-hit and effects are supported. New attacks must not have any "*" characters in any fields.
The way 5e works right now, "crit die" will be your damage dice, minus any modifiers. So say your weapon or spell does 2d6 + 3, with the +3 coming from strength, then your crit die is 2d6. This is different from the play test and gives multiple-die attacks a monster crit. See also D&D basic rules at http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... basicrules

Skill checks are ability checks - use the "use proficiency" checkbox to indicate that you have proficiency and will add your proficiency bonus, which is set in "Edit Stats". Use "have expertise" if the character has expertise in something, implies proficiency and adds a flat +5 on top.

There is absolutely no automation in this framework. Figure out whether an attack hit, make ability checks as needed, then apply damage manually. All the framework will give you is attack roll, disadvantage and advantage roll, and what that damage is, together with some notes for the attack. Notes is where you'd stick effects on hit right now, such as "Make a DC11 CON check. Fail: 3d6 necrotic damage. Success: Half damage"

Most "clever" things are manual. You'll need to add modifiers for additional expertise die, for example. If you have a feat that lets you roll a die twice and keep the better result, just enter your die as say 2d6d1 instead of 1d6.

In playtesting, the things that were most confusing to players about this framework were:
- Attack creation. How that worked was not intuitive to people.
- The way that proficiency and expertise work, and how to create new things to be proficient in or have expertise in
- That putting a ' in any attack or proficiency is likely to break the framework. Really the framework's fault - it should sanitize user input and does not
Last edited by yorick on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

yorick
Cave Troll

Re: DnD Next (5e) framework, thief edition

Post by yorick »

Framework updated for 8/2/13 packet. Only minor changes. Skills are gone, have been replaced by "Lore and Expertise". Skill Die renamed to Expertise Die. This framework doesn't know how to handle the additional Expertise Die you can get through the "Stealthy" feat.

BoT updated, just because.

No other changes. All of the more ambitious stuff is still outstanding.

If you are looking to update your own campaign, you'd need to a) replace the Lib:CharacterSheet token and b) export the macro-set, delete all macro groups from your PC and NPC tokens, and replace them by importing the macro set. Pain in the donkey, I know.
If you also want to update BoT in your own campaign, replace Lib:OnTokenMove as well.

yorick
Cave Troll

Post by yorick »

Another small update, framework now understands the expanded crit range that comes with the Fighter Warrior path.

yorick
Cave Troll

Post by yorick »

Quick update. The framework has been updated for the current packet. Let me try and upload that this weekend.

Beyond that, the frameworks a bit of a mess. It needs some serious tlc, particularly around attacks and spells, and around the character sheet. Oh, and moving to encode() decode() before doing much more with it is probably also badly needed. I've had my players break it inadvertently by using single quotes or commas. That shouldn't break the framework.

If you (yes you) reading this feel motivated to help shape the framework, please get in touch. We'll set it up on github or something and collaborate. That could be anything from HTML for the character sheet to (re)coding macros to giving input on better ways to structure the layout.

yorick
Cave Troll

Post by yorick »

Updated with the last version we used, based on the 10/14/13 playtest packet. Have not checked this against the basic rules that Wizards just released.

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

Great! Thank you.
An epic roleplaying resource:

http://www.farlandworld.com

Twitter: @Farland_World

JayIbero
Cave Troll

Post by JayIbero »

Excited to see someone establishing a framework for 5E. Hope it can get as detailed and user friendly and Veggiesama for 4E.

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

The dropbox link is not working.

EDIT: works for me now.
Last edited by paulstrait on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

yorick
Cave Troll

Post by yorick »

Just tried the Dropbox link. "It works here". Anyone else having problems?

@JayIbero

Veggiesama is a work of art. I don't think I have the coding chops or the attention span to produce something that awesome.

That said, this framework will evolve some, because we use it in our campaigns. First order of business is to get it up on github, so there can be collaboration.

If you want to help, then design feedback is highly useful. I am pondering how to handle the two main mechanical things, attacks and skill checks / stat rolls / saving throws. There are a lot of options on how this could be presented.

JayIbero
Cave Troll

Post by JayIbero »

yorick wrote:Just tried the Dropbox link. "It works here". Anyone else having problems?

@JayIbero

Veggiesama is a work of art. I don't think I have the coding chops or the attention span to produce something that awesome.

That said, this framework will evolve some, because we use it in our campaigns. First order of business is to get it up on github, so there can be collaboration.

If you want to help, then design feedback is highly useful. I am pondering how to handle the two main mechanical things, attacks and skill checks / stat rolls / saving throws. There are a lot of options on how this could be presented.
I'm pretty good at USING frameworks, but designing them I'm clueless on. That said, depending on what you know how to do, I do certainly have some ideas as far as formatting and entry fields. For example, in Veggie it will automatically calculate your 1/2 level bonus and apply it where it belongs. For 5e, if you could somehow code an array containing proficiency bonus by level, and an field for players to enter their total character level, it could then use that value to determine the correct proficiency bonus for that level. Then for skills and saves, there could be check boxes for proficiency to toggle whether that is applied. Of course coming up with these ideas is much easier than implementing them...

[edit] As to your question on skill checks and saving throws, depending on how much you can borrow from veggie, you could set those up very similarly. Have a menu with boxes to check for proficiency, and entry fields for any other bonuses or penalties. Then when you actually run the skill/save macro, it would pop up another box to select the specific save or skill, as well as assigning temporary bonus/penalty and advantage/disadvantage. Attacks would require some more thought though.

JayIbero
Cave Troll

Post by JayIbero »

I've been trying my hand at some coding for 5e, and one thing you may wish to add is automatic proficiency bonus calculation.
"cieling(CharLevel/4+1)" will give you the correct proficiency bonus based on total character level, so you would just need to use a total character level variable. Then you can easily do mods for half and double proficiency from there.

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”