Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)

Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

ziltmilt
Dragon

Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)

Post by ziltmilt »

Thanks for the heads up on the vision setting. I forgot that you can set vision distance at the map level. It's pretty odd to do that; was this done because of the elevation changes in this map that would block line of sight? not sure why you'd want to do that.

Also, I found it odd that all the light sources were defined as squares. Maybe it's just me, but I changed them all to the definitions from the PF framework.

Which cave map are you talking about? The 'Wave Echo Cave' has a 10' scale, but the grid looks perfectly overlaid to me. The Cragmaw Hideout map has a 5' scale.

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

BruntFCA wrote:You may want to use a better map for the caves. I found the miss-aligned grid on the 10 foot map unusable. Here's a link to 5 foot maps.

http://imgur.com/a/oHWUd
I don't understand -- how is the map misaligned? You have to turn the grid on. I scaled the map so that the original map image has exactly 120x120 pixels in each of the 10 foot squares. Then, in maptool, the grid is set to 60 pixels, so each 5 foot square is accurate, and there are four of them within the grid squares on the map itself. You just have to go to hit Ctrl-G to show the grid.

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

ziltmilt wrote:I found something weird with the Phandelver campaign file. Actually .. a couple of things

- the light sources and sight settings are all defined as square instead of circular, which I find odd
Yeah, we played a lot of 4e and as stupid as the square lighting is, it sort of took with our group. I think I imported a lot of the light settings from the 4e game and just tweaked the distances.
ziltmilt wrote:- after changing the shapes to circles, I gave one PC token a torch light source. I'm using this definition for the torch:

Torch - 20: circle 22.5 42.5#442200

it works fine on maps except for the 'Cragmaw Hideout' map, where the player only sees illumination out to a 10' radius. On other maps, it's 20', plus another 20' in a different shade. Any idea why it's doing this?
Hmm, I have no idea why I set the map vision settings to 12 on that map. Usually I do something like that temporarily to restrict vision if there is fog or something, but I don't remember exactly why this was set like that. The light in a different shade is to distinguish between bright light and low light.

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

BTW, thanks for the awesome cmpgn file. I ran a session last week and it was great. Using Maptool for this really facilitates play, even for our players who were brand new to the software.

fredjsquirrel
Kobold

Post by fredjsquirrel »

paulstrait wrote:
BruntFCA wrote:You may want to use a better map for the caves. I found the miss-aligned grid on the 10 foot map unusable. Here's a link to 5 foot maps.

I don't understand -- how is the map misaligned? You have to turn the grid on. I scaled the map so that the original map image has exactly 120x120 pixels in each of the 10 foot squares. Then, in maptool, the grid is set to 60 pixels, so each 5 foot square is accurate, and there are four of them within the grid squares on the map itself. You just have to go to hit Ctrl-G to show the grid.
Ok this is probably a silly question but how did you scale the maps so that they had the required 120x120 pixels?

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

fredjsquirrel wrote:
paulstrait wrote:

Ok this is probably a silly question but how did you scale the maps so that they had the required 120x120 pixels?
Not a silly question at all, it's really important when dealing with premade maps. I use an open-source program called GIMP (similar to photoshop) which allows you to place a grid over an image and then scale the image so that the grid lines up. It's a little tricky because every time you scale the map a little bit so that the grid lines up on one side, the grid moves a bit (since the image is gaining or losing pixels everywhere evenly), but usually a map can be scaled this way in five or so minutes of playing with it.

fredjsquirrel
Kobold

Post by fredjsquirrel »

Thanks. I hadn't thought of doing that. I'll look into it.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

The latest version of MT has an auto-resize feature: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=25839. I even did a video of how to use it (link in thread).

SodaBob
Kobold

Post by SodaBob »

Does anyone have the LostMineofPhandelver5.cmpgn file? The dropbox link in the original post for this topic gives a 404. I would love to save time setting up all the maps with vision blocking! Thanks in advance for any help.

NoValidTitle
Kobold

Post by NoValidTitle »

I'm also looking for a mirror of this, please let me know!

Hazeyindahead
Kobold

Post by Hazeyindahead »

I have the version of the framework Paul posted prior to this release on a mirror:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66uo5xdzm8uaz ... cmpgn?dl=0

Its "most" of what this is supposed to be without the module attached, I hope this helps until he comes by and wows us.

SmokelessJoe
Kobold

Post by SmokelessJoe »

I'm new to MapTool so maybe I'm missing something, but the previous link to Kfw-edit Jan 7.cmpgn doesn't seem to contain anything.

Does anyone know where to find the full LostMineofPhandelver5.cmpgn file?

Thanks!

foxw
Kobold

Post by foxw »

none of the links work anymore.

Please update.

EpicSir
Kobold

Post by EpicSir »

ziltmilt wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:29 pm
BTW, thanks for the awesome cmpgn file. I ran a session last week and it was great. Using Maptool for this really facilitates play, even for our players who were brand new to the software.
Hi, would you happen to have the original file? All the links on this forum don't work anymore...

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Here is a link, I'll keep it up for a while.Cheers!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmIIl2hpdblLg-Jx3JFR5ShjVqfdog
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”