Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)

Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

paulstrait
Dragon

Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)

Post by paulstrait »

The whole section is coded pretty inefficiently as a result of the way it was created, which was for an early D&D Next playtest, and subsequently modified piece by piece as the rules changed into their current form. But it does work reasonably well. Our group has now gone through four sessions that have been a lot of fun. There are definitely lots of things on our to-do list to improve the code and add features, but it is certainly sturdy enough to handle basic gameplay without having to write macros on the fly or roll unmodified dice and do math in your head. It took a while to program the spells (and we've only touched the surface, though I think now I've got 120 spells programmed) -- but it is a breeze now to program spellcasting monsters, which was the only thing that couldn't be set up in 2 minutes or less on the fly.

koleblack
Kobold

Post by koleblack »

I am pretty new (in fact I downloaded the maptool yesterday) and I am already loving it.
I downloaded your campaign from this thread and it is great except for some of the maps are just black with tokens on them. Some of the maps are working fine.
The maps that are just black with tokens are:
Both cragmaw maps
Neverwinter region
Redbrand Hideout
thundertee
wave echo caves
wyvern tor

I increased my memory to 1500mb and it didn't change anything.
I feel like I am missing something obvious...

Any suggestions?

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

That's odd. Sometimes the maps are black when they first load but then zooming in fixes it. If that doesn't work, try deleting all the monsters on the library map -- that sped things up massively for my players (especially as the group of monsters continued to get bigger and bigger as we moved on past the phandelver stuff). If that doesn't work, try exporting one of the all black maps and then opening it independently. And if that doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to help you troubleshoot it.

Dervish
Giant

Post by Dervish »

If i can make a suggestion I would save off your monsters into a seperate token folder as a seperate downloadthat allows the individual gm can add/remove monsters as needed also you can do the same thing with maps save them as individual rpmaps Note i am not saying this to Paul but the individual users who use the framework

koleblack
Kobold

Post by koleblack »

Thanks for the help! I ended up exporting all of the maps and loaded them a few at a time as I needed them.
Not sure why this is an issue, but I have 16g memory and a fast system.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Actually, 167MB is pretty big for a campaign file. Usually by the end of a chapter in an adventure path my campaign is around 90MB and I make my own custom maps which are usually pretty big. If you have a better computer system, I recommend going to 2048 for max mem, 3 stack but make sure you have the 64bit java version installed.

Ste van B
Kobold

Post by Ste van B »

Can't seem to open the link ... Any ideas?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

The dropbox link in OP works for me. Which link are you speaking of?

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

I'm going to post a major update to the framework soon, with all the monsters in a separate zipped file so that they don't make the framework so big. Lots of little improvements here and there that my players and I have cobbled together in the last couple of months, and a bunch of new monsters.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

I'm going to post a major update to the framework soon, with all the monsters in a separate zipped file so that they don't make the framework so big. Lots of little improvements here and there that my players and I have cobbled together in the last couple of months, and a bunch of new monsters.
My players and I are looking forward to what ya got!! I streamlined some stuff in the last few months and would be very curious to see what you've come up with as well.

Thanks for all the hard work! Especially the spells!! Must have taken quite a long time! :shock:
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

Sereptus wrote:
My players and I are looking forward to what ya got!! I streamlined some stuff in the last few months and would be very curious to see what you've come up with as well.

Thanks for all the hard work! Especially the spells!! Must have taken quite a long time! :shock:
It took a good 2-3 weekends, and was almost certainly a contributing factor to my PHB falling apart (though the binding was poor and I believe it was inevitable -- thankfully, the book was replaced for free). Apparently I missed a spell, Wind Wall I think, that one of my player's noticed when he leveled up and wanted it. I have since rectified that and hopefully there aren't any more. It was a bit of work but it really pays off now when setting up NPCs. I'm trying to make a collection of monster special abilities as well though I'm just making them as needed rather than getting them all at once.

I've been programming a lot of monsters, though also making up / converting new ones. I just redid the initiative macro so that a) it can be executed from the campaign macros and so I can just highlight everyone at once and add them, and b) it can take into account if you have some ability that gives you advantage on initiative. I also added in system shock rolls from the DMG -- if some creature takes more than half of its max HP from a single source, it rolls a constitution save and, if it fails, tells you the system shock result. It doesn't actually apply the effect and it can be easily turned off, but we've had fun with the rule. It tends to streamlne combat a little bit and rewards hitting something extra hard. I also added tables and macros for the insanity tables from the DMG, just in case... My players have created a bunch of macro-creation macros for all their new powers as they've leveled up. We have a session this evening, so I'll see if everything is working and if anything needs to be fixed, and then I'll upload the updated framework and a zip of all the monster tokens in a day or two.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

paulstrait wrote:I'm going to post a major update to the framework soon, with all the monsters in a separate zipped file so that they don't make the framework so big. Lots of little improvements here and there that my players and I have cobbled together in the last couple of months, and a bunch of new monsters.
Any updates to this I may have missed?
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

Sorry for the delay, things have been hectic in real life. I've made a significant update to the basic framework. Lots of new features, and I may be leaving some out, but here are the big ones:

*death saves are now tracked, and the system will take into account damage (and critical hits) while dying.

*The spellbook now contans all the new Elemental Evil spells.

*Various different player options in the PC tokens.

*A new intiative system that takes into account whether someone has advantage on initiative.

*New condition macros that indicate the effects of the condition.

*The optional system shock rules from the DMG are now an option.

*Tables and macros for the optional DMG madness rules.

Probably other stuff I'm forgetting now. I also separated all the monster and NPC tokens and put them into a separate file. I've made many more since the last update.

The cmpgn file: http://bit.ly/1NWSkaP
Monster & NPC tokens: http://bit.ly/1NWTe73

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

I found something weird with the Phandelver campaign file. Actually .. a couple of things

- the light sources and sight settings are all defined as square instead of circular, which I find odd

- after changing the shapes to circles, I gave one PC token a torch light source. I'm using this definition for the torch:

Torch - 20: circle 22.5 42.5#442200

it works fine on maps except for the 'Cragmaw Hideout' map, where the player only sees illumination out to a 10' radius. On other maps, it's 20', plus another 20' in a different shade. Any idea why it's doing this?

BruntFCA
Kobold

Post by BruntFCA »

I think I've got the solution since I ran into this too. Go to Map menu and edit, and change the vision distance. For some reason the vision distance is set to as low as 15 feet. This distance *overrides* everything; thus if you have a lantern with 30 foot range, you characters can still only see 15 feet.

Just set it to say 1000, fog of war and vision blocking lines within the map will prevent the tokens from seeing too far. I think vision at the map level is used as some sort of "Nuke" power for vision, it over-rules everything else.

You may want to use a better map for the caves. I found the miss-aligned grid on the 10 foot map unusable. Here's a link to 5 foot maps.

http://imgur.com/a/oHWUd

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”