5e D&D Framework

Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

paulstrait
Dragon

5e D&D Framework

Post by paulstrait »

Here is "my" 5e framework, which is really a heavily modified version of Yoricks's cobbled together framework, with more things cobbled in and everything updated to reflect the official rules. A couple big things:

**I have included a spellcasting library that has every official 5e spell (and one or two spells I ported over from previous editions). It organizes the spells by level, and the macros can easily be dragged on to a token, which makes setting up tokens a breeze. The spell macros roll dice when necessary, calculate spell saving throws, attack rolls, damage, etc. It also allows you to cast spells in different spell slots, which are also tracked, or as rituals (and it knows which spells can be cast in this way). It also tracks concentration, so that you can always tell who is concentrating and on what, and you know if you are trying to double concentrate. Incidentally, if you are concentrating, and you take damage, you will automaticaly make a Constitution check against the appropriate DC to see if you lose concentration -- if you do, it will end the spell (and associated concentration).

**There are about 100 monster tokens. It is very easy to make more, because I've also collected traits/special powers, etc. on the spellcasting library token, to easily drag on new monsters. There is also a template for monster tokens and another template for PC tokens (and all of my players' PCs as examples). Though the tokens all use a common set of macros for basic functions, they have been modified as appropriate; for example, if the change HP macro is used on a zombie to reduce it to less than 1 hp, it will automatically make a Constitution saving throw to see if it stays alive due to its undead fortitude trait. All the monsters have the default hp, but they all also have a 'roll hp' macro so that you could place a bunch down and then with a single button push have them all roll for their hit points, if you wanted to. Monster tokens that use abilities to change their AC (e.g., mage armor) will in fact change their AC when using these powers (in these cases, the AC reverts to normal when you reset the token by taking a rest, or, for concentration based powers, when you end concentration). By default, monster tokens get knocked unconscious when reduced to less than 1 hp. They all also have a 'dead' macro on them, which kills the token and removes it from the token layer (it also brings them back to life and back to the token layer if you push it again).

**I borrowed the basic initiative macros from Rumble's 'slim' 4e framework. Besides tracking and advancing initiative, it highlights the current token, and tracks whether you have used your Reaction (and when your turn comes up, that resets). There are also macros that track rechargeable powers and special limited use macros (which change color when they are exhausted, conveniently), and a macro that sweeps the dead from initiative.

**Also includes Wolph42's Bag of Tricks, Aliasmask's attack macro, Sereptus's invisibility macro (and Sereptus also helped code one of the more complicated spell macros, magic missile, which was an invaluable model), lmarkus001's global handout library, and is based on Yorick and Protesilaus' basic framework, with things like criticals and expertise fixed.

To use, it is mostly self-explanatory. Make sure you use the Selection window so that you can access token macros, and the Campaign window is also very important, particularly for the DM, as it contains a bunch of basic system macros, macros to toggle all the different conditions and states, exhaustion levels, etc. It may also be useful to have the Impersonate window up, at least when you are working on token creation, so that you can move macros from the spellcasting library macro to other tokens. You can use it like a traditional library, but in all my examples I've been dragging the macros over, partially so that they can be personalized. For spellcasters, you will want to modify the long rest macro to recharge spell slots as appropriate (the caster tokens provide examples, this is very straightforward, though in the future there will be a macro-modifying macro that does this).

I will post updates here. Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions or suggestions. You should be able to save quite a bit of prep time using this framework. There are many features I plan on adding, so if you find the framework helpful and would like me to prioritize adding a certain feature or option, please do not hesitate to ask. I think the next step is to create/enhance ease-of-use macros that will eliminate or at least minimize the need to edit token properties manually.

EDIT (10/14/14): Changed link to bit.ly as per Wolph42's suggestion.

EDIT (3/15/15): Major update, see the link below for the new file. Lots of new features, and I may be leaving some out, but here are the big ones:

*death saves are now tracked, and the system will take into account damage (and critical hits) while dying, as well as rolling a 1 or a 20.

*The spellbook now contans all the new Elemental Evil spells (for a grand total of 408 spells, with all of their dice/modifier/save/concentration aspects fully automated).

*Various different player options in the PC tokens.

*A new intiative system that takes into account whether someone has advantage on initiative.

*New condition macros that indicate the effects of the condition when it is applied.

*The optional system shock rules from the DMG are now an option.

*Tables and macros for the optional DMG madness rules.

*Some tables and things from the DMG encoded into tables and campaign macros.

*A systematic way of handling rechargable magic items (one example of this is on the Human Warlock token, in the 'staff of swarming insects' macro group at the bottom of the selection window).

Probably other stuff I'm forgetting now. I also separated all the monster and NPC tokens and put them into a separate file. I've made many more since the last update (total = 165), though there is a lot more work to be done here. New monster/NPC features are also on the spellbook token.

EDIT:6/20/2017 - changes too numerous to recount at the moment. Entirely new system for PCs. Druids can acquire wildshapes by seeing beasts and acquire their macros and token appearance. Automated leveling. Various optional rules modules also built in to be enabled. Requires 1.4.3.19 or later (maptool.nerps.net), though I can probably export it to an older version if there is debate for that.

Here is my most recent collection of tokens: https://goo.gl/nyrFRK
Here is the most recent .cmpgn file of the framework: https://goo.gl/9gH7Sv
Last edited by paulstrait on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Vhex
Giant

Re: 5e D&D Framework

Post by Vhex »

Thank you for sharing!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

thanks for sharing:

tip: use bit.ly to conver the dropbox link. This way you have statistics on how many times the file is downloaded.

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

Good idea, thanks!

Iglooglue
Kobold

Post by Iglooglue »

Can you please explain how to open this file? Thanks, this will help me so much!

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

It should just be a matter of opening maptool, clicking file, then open campaign, and then selecting the file. As far as what settings you need for maptool, I'm not sure what kind of max memory is the minimum; I usually set the max memory at 2048, but I know for a fact that it will run on less. The stack size can stay at 2.

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

First off, thank you for creating this framework!

I have a question/request for you. On the "Ability Check" Macro would it be possible to
add a tab that says "Stat Check" and move the existing "Roll Ability" to that tab then make the "Roll Ability" tab a drop down selection with all the actual possible Ability checks i.e. Animal Handling etc? I know the current one works fine but we are still unsure of what stat goes for what check in 5e and have to stop to look them up and this feature would really help!

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

Now that Dm's can award Inspiration for good roleplaying. Is there a way to add another form for the PC's background selections and display them on the character sheet to make it easier on DM's to see the PC's info?

Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

Post by Jan van Leyden »

Noob Alert!!!

Umh, it's the very first time I'm trying to use a framework, so please pardon my dumb questions...

Well, how exactly do I create a PC? I can copy the template and edit its properties, but it still remains a rather empty template. How do I get the stuff for, say, a dwarven cleric to this tolen?

Confused. :oops:

---Jan van Leyden

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

Jan van Leyden wrote:Noob Alert!!!

Umh, it's the very first time I'm trying to use a framework, so please pardon my dumb questions...

Well, how exactly do I create a PC? I can copy the template and edit its properties, but it still remains a rather empty template. How do I get the stuff for, say, a dwarven cleric to this tolen?

Confused. :oops:

---Jan van Leyden
Actually they made it really easy with this framework. I'll try to help.
1. On the file menu Click "Window" then make sure you have "Selected" and "Impersonate" checked.
2. Drag the PC's token onto the "Library" Map.
3. Right click on the token and select "edit"
4. In the "Name:" box enter the PC's Name then select "Pc" from the drop down selection box then press the "ok" button.
5. Now you should have a button in the "Impersonated" window that shows the token and says "Impersonate Selected". Click the button and it should change to the token name and a box that says "No Macros"

When they created this framework they already added many Monster & PC tokens with lots of premade macros so basically all you do is drag a macro button from a premade token to your token. In this case we are going to copy the "Maintenance" Macro's. (of course if you wanted you could edit all the token properties but that's a pain! :wink: Using the macro's is much faster and easier).

6. Find the PC Token named "Golrek" and left click on it. You now should have a window for "Selection" with Golreck and his macro's and a window with your target token in the Impersonate window.
7. On Golreck's macros scroll down until you see the macro's in the "Maintenance" section starting with the "Character Sheet" and "Edit Stats" macros.
8. Now you just left click and hold the "Character Sheet" macro and drag it to your target (impersonated) token. On the macro you just dragged you may want to right click it and "Edit" the "Group:" and name it "Maintenance" but this is just for convenience.
9. Follow step 8 for the rest of the macro's in the Maintenance section.
10. Use the "Edit Stats" Macro on your new PC impersonated token to enter what you need along with the other macros.
11. Finally, use any of the other macros from the other tokens or libraries you want to add to the PC's token or make your own.

Hope this was clear enough! If you get stuck just let me know and I'll try to help.

Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

Post by Jan van Leyden »

dantarith wrote:(Many helpful hints...)
That's exactly what I was looking for: an outline of the procedure. I'll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow. Good thing it's still some time before I do need it.

---Jan van Leyden

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

Since so many rolls in 5e include the "Proficiency Bonus" I edited the Basic ->Token Properties in my campaign properties. I also wanted it to show it on the Token Stats so I added this code
Spoiler
*ProfBonus:2
between "*Class:Hobo" and "*Level:1". I also modified the "Lib:CharacterSheet -> DrawCharacterSheet Macro to
Spoiler
[h:Token = getStrProp(macro.args, "ParentToken")]
[frame(getName(), "width=650; height=500"): {<html><head><title>[r,token(Token): getName()]</title></head>
<body style="font-size:12pt"><table width="100%"><tr><td colspan="2" valign="bottom" style="background-color:#3A1E1A;text-align:center;color:white;font-weight:bold;font-size:14pt">
[r,token(Token): getName()]
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table width="100%"><tr><td width="30%"><table valign="top" width="100%"><tr>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left"><b>AC</b></td>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left">[r,token(Token): AC]</td>
</tr><tr>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left"><b>HP</b></td>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left">[r,token(Token): HP]</td>
</tr><tr>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left"><b>Speed</b></td>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left">[r,token(Token): Speed]</td>
</tr><tr>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left"><b>Hit Dice</b></td>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left">[r,token(Token): HitDice]</td>
</tr><tr>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left"><b>Prof Bonus</b></td>
<td valign="top" style="text-align:left">[r,token(Token): ProfBonus]</td>
</tr><tr><td></td></tr></table></td></td><td><table width="100%"><tr><td valign="top" width="30%" class="stat" >
Strength
</td><td>
[r,token(Token): Strength] ([r,token(Token): FLOOR((Strength - 10)/ 2)])
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="30%" class="stat">
Dexterity
</td><td>
[r,token(Token): Dexterity] ([r,token(Token): FLOOR((Dexterity - 10)/ 2)])
Constitution
</td><td>
[r,token(Token): Constitution] ([r,token(Token): FLOOR((Constitution - 10)/ 2)])
Intelligence
</td><td>
[r,token(Token): Intelligence] ([r,token(Token): FLOOR((Intelligence - 10)/ 2)])
Wisdom
</td><td>
[r,token(Token): Wisdom] ([r,token(Token): FLOOR((Wisdom - 10)/ 2)])
Charisma
</td><td>
[r,token(Token): Charisma] ([r,token(Token): FLOOR((Charisma - 10)/ 2)])
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></tr>
[MACRO("_DrawLanguages@Lib:CharacterSheet") : "LanguageInfo=" + Languages]
[MACRO("_DrawInventory@Lib:CharacterSheet") : "EquipmentInfo=" + Inventory]
</table></body></html>
}]
I didn't know if you were planning on adding it the next version so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else wants to use it. Now you can modify any attack rolls etc to include it :)

Here is an example for others on how to use it in the exsisting Attack Macro when you add a new weapon that the char is Proficient with.
"Hit:" 1d20+St+ProfBonus or [t: d20+St+ProfBonus] to show just the value with a mouse over tooltip

Protesilaus
Kobold

Post by Protesilaus »

I am going to run a game this weekend and was searching for a framework and low and behold everything old is new again. I am happy my old Framework survived to become a full fledged 5e Framework now that the edition is actually released. I'll take a look at this and see how it works so I can run a game with it. Thanks for updating to the new edition after I dropped it when I stopped running 5e beta games.

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

The max weight calculation in "_DrawInventory@Lib:CharacterSheet" is incorrect according to PHB.
It should be:

Code: Select all

[r:Weight] / [r:Strength * 15] instead of [r:Weight] / [r:Strength * 10]
Or, am I missing some other modifier you are calculating?

***I really should use the preview option :lol:

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”