5e D&D Framework

Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

paulstrait
Dragon

Re: 5e D&D Framework

Post by paulstrait »

It's a rewrite but it is an improvement in every way. The only code is still used for most monsters. I don't think anyone would prefer the old version to the new.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Could we get a Beta tester anyway? :mrgreen:
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

gregdwilson
Kobold

Post by gregdwilson »

When is an estimated time of release? I have been waiting to start a campaign until the latest release. I have extensive programming experience, is there a way that I could be of assistance?

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

is the 5e framework from the OP the definitive framework to use with this game? And, is the latest version of this framework available at the same link as in the original post?

Ryzzen
Kobold

Post by Ryzzen »

Hello. I just made an account to say that I thoroughly enjoyed using this framework for the last campaign that I ran. I am looking to start up a new one, and the updated features described a few posts/months ago sound fantastic. Is there an ETA for this new version's release or perhaps a test version?

IssLance
Kobold

Post by IssLance »

Damien Granz wrote: The second is, is there a library that hosts features and feats for say, fighters and what not? Some of the pre-made characters have some examples, but they're not all encompassing. Am I missing something?
Double the question! Any library with prewritten macros?

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

We still aren't quite at the point of a release -- we took a bit of a hiatus from gaming -- but here's the version we are currently using. It has libraries for each class, and also a macro for creating tokens. PC tokens from the other framework are not compatible, but NPC tokens are.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/214 ... %207.cmpgn

It handles multiclassing really well, and all the feats, and it has most low level spells programmed. Also a totally revitalized wildshaping system. We'll post full instructions when it is in a more finished state, but let me know if you can't figure out how to make something work.

Aurien Eleneill
Kobold

Post by Aurien Eleneill »

TYVM for the download, I just started playing around with the previous version a few days ago, and the functionality it adds to maptools is fantastic. I can't wait to try out the added content, if I run into any bugs I'll be sure to keep you updated :wink: . Made this account just to say thank you :D

IssLance
Kobold

Post by IssLance »

paulstrait wrote:We still aren't quite at the point of a release -- we took a bit of a hiatus from gaming -- but here's the version we are currently using. It has libraries for each class, and also a macro for creating tokens. PC tokens from the other framework are not compatible, but NPC tokens are.

It handles multiclassing really well, and all the feats, and it has most low level spells programmed. Also a totally revitalized wildshaping system. We'll post full instructions when it is in a more finished state, but let me know if you can't figure out how to make something work.
That's awesome! I have one question though. I can't get my head around how the ammo system works. I gave one of the tokens a longbow and when I run the attack macro, it rolls but ammo sits at '0' all the time. I tried to change the number to 20 too but nothing was being subtracted.

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

IssLance wrote:
paulstrait wrote:We still aren't quite at the point of a release -- we took a bit of a hiatus from gaming -- but here's the version we are currently using. It has libraries for each class, and also a macro for creating tokens. PC tokens from the other framework are not compatible, but NPC tokens are.

That's awesome! I have one question though. I can't get my head around how the ammo system works. I gave one of the tokens a longbow and when I run the attack macro, it rolls but ammo sits at '0' all the time. I tried to change the number to 20 too but nothing was being subtracted.
Yes, the variable isn't currently called by anything. In the future we hope to enable it.

Yozshand
Kobold

Post by Yozshand »

Hi there! I must say that I'm impressed by the amount of work that you've put into this framework so far. For that I have to give you some serious props. I was hoping that you would be able to help me out with a few issues that I'm having using your framework.

I'm using the most recent version of Map Tool that's stable (3.b91), and the most recent Java Update (8.71 or something) 64 bit. The following are my issues:

Utilizing your framework, when I try to initialize pads (for BoT stuff) I get a bunch of prompts for variables that have no clear purpose. whether I enter variables or not, cancel them or not, or simply close them, I get numerous errors in the initialize readout and nothing else works. I've tried animating doors, shadow pads, jump pads, etc, and none of it initializes due to the errors. Any tips on how to fix this problem? I've even tried it on a dry startup and it doesn't work.

Second: Whenever I try to run any of your spell macros I get a serious wave of variables being called with blank responses. I'm not sure where to fix this, or even how, as I'm not particularly skilled at macros yet. I'm also curious how I'm supposed to target creatures other than my current selection (the creature with the macro) with spells. This is probably just something that I haven't figured out yet, so if it's clear and I'm just dumb, let me know.

Third: Relatively minor, but I'm not able to drag and drop macros from any of the libraries presented onto other tokens. This is particularly pertinent for the spell library, since that one will likely be used the most. I've been exporting those macros as a workaround, but importing the macros one at a time can be tiresome.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions, and thanks again for putting in so much hard work on this framework.

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

Yozshand wrote: Utilizing your framework,
Are you using the new version I just posted, or the version in the original post? I will assume the new version in my response below.
when I try to initialize pads (for BoT stuff) I get a bunch of prompts for variables that have no clear purpose. whether I enter variables or not, cancel them or not, or simply close them, I get numerous errors in the initialize readout and nothing else works. I've tried animating doors, shadow pads, jump pads, etc, and none of it initializes due to the errors. Any tips on how to fix this problem? I've even tried it on a dry startup and it doesn't work.
Hmm. You may want to post on the Bag of Tricks thread. Perhaps you need to run the setup macro first, so that all the variables have determined values.
Second: Whenever I try to run any of your spell macros I get a serious wave of variables being called with blank responses. I'm not sure where to fix this, or even how, as I'm not particularly skilled at macros yet. I'm also curious how I'm supposed to target creatures other than my current selection (the creature with the macro) with spells. This is probably just something that I haven't figured out yet, so if it's clear and I'm just dumb, let me know.
Which token are you trying to run the spell macros from? There is one library that has all the information in the macros -- those macros don't directly run, but instead are called by other macros. On each individual class library, there are spell macros that actually work. There is no 'targeting' feature -- you have to announce who you are targeting, and then run the macro to see if it works (just like attacking with a weapon).
Third: Relatively minor, but I'm not able to drag and drop macros from any of the libraries presented onto other tokens. This is particularly pertinent for the spell library, since that one will likely be used the most. I've been exporting those macros as a workaround, but importing the macros one at a time can be tiresome.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions, and thanks again for putting in so much hard work on this framework.
You need to use the 'selection' and the 'impersonate' window. Impersonate the relevant class library, and then select your token. Then drag the relevant macros from the impersonate window to the token's selection window.

Yozshand
Kobold

Post by Yozshand »

paulstrait wrote: Are you using the new version I just posted, or the version in the original post? I will assume the new version in my response below.
I hadn't noticed the new framework. I think I actually started using this only a few days before your newest was posted above. I've tried it out and a number of my issues have already been resolved, particularly the BoT initalize and (largely) the spell macros. There are still several lines of blue text in the spell macros that are there, but I see that they're still running properly, so that's really just an aesthetic thing that doesn't really matter.
Which token are you trying to run the spell macros from? There is one library that has all the information in the macros -- those macros don't directly run, but instead are called by other macros. On each individual class library, there are spell macros that actually work. There is no 'targeting' feature -- you have to announce who you are targeting, and then run the macro to see if it works (just like attacking with a weapon).
I've pretty much fixed the issue by updating to your newest framework - I think there were errors somewhere in the character sheets of the previous version since I was trying to cast the spells from the tokens that you had provided. It's moot now though.

You need to use the 'selection' and the 'impersonate' window. Impersonate the relevant class library, and then select your token. Then drag the relevant macros from the impersonate window to the token's selection window.
Ahh, I hadn't thought about impersonating the token to move them. Thanks for that!

Thanks for your prompt response, I greatly appreciate it!

edit: After exporting my maps from the old framework and importing them into the new one (as well as one map created in the BoT framework as a "did I screw up?" tester), I'm running into the same problem with BoT again. I'm going to post in the BoT thread to see if I can get some help with that. The rest of the framework is working very well though!

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

Yozshand wrote: I hadn't noticed the new framework. I think I actually started using this only a few days before your newest was posted above. I've tried it out and a number of my issues have already been resolved, particularly the BoT initalize and (largely) the spell macros. There are still several lines of blue text in the spell macros that are there, but I see that they're still running properly, so that's really just an aesthetic thing that doesn't really matter.

I've pretty much fixed the issue by updating to your newest framework - I think there were errors somewhere in the character sheets of the previous version since I was trying to cast the spells from the tokens that you had provided. It's moot now though.
I'm not sure about the blue text -- could you post a screen shot? The old spell casting system is still relevant in the new framework for monsters / NPCs. You need to manually set variables on those tokens to make it work properly, like spellattack, spellsave, and the spell slots (e.g., First, Second, etc.), and then set the stat sheet slot variable to {First} / {Second} / etc. so that you can see how many slots you have left in each thing. Then you need to program the long rest macro to reset those slots (although for most single use NPCs / monsters long resting isn't really that important). In the new framework, for PCs, it automatically detects what all the numbers should be based on what classes the PC has levels in.

Yozshand
Kobold

Post by Yozshand »

Thanks for the advice, that's good to know for creating my own NPCs and monsters.

This was the result of casting lightning bolt with the level 20 wizard token presented on the library map with no overcharge.

The blue text also makes it ungodly difficult to view the spell readouts with the chat on the side bar (my preferred view), but that's not really an issue.

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”