RPTools.net

Discussion and Support

Skip to content

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:19 am 






Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Author Message
 Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm
Posts: 326
 Post subject: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:10 am 
Hi all,

I've put together the adventure "Lost Mine of Phandelver" from the 5e D&D starter set. All the maps are here, with vision blocking put in, along with all the monsters, some PCs my players have made, and a basic 5e framework that is Yorick's version with a bunch of tweaks and improvements. There are template tokens to make your own PCs. I also created a couple maps for areas where no maps are included, though certainly not for every area mentioned. On the 'Library' map, every monster appears, including those that only show up on wandering monster tables or in encounters for which there is no map. On some of the maps, I put non-player-visible objects detailing the treasure to be found, but I didn't do this for the largest map. Make sure you take a look at the campaign macros -- they aren't essential but they will be very helpful.

Please let me know what you think.

MAJOR UPDATE (Sept 29, 2014): The updated file is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/214 ... ver5.cmpgn

The update includes several fixes (critical hits now score properly), many new and updated campaign macros and properties for governing some of the nuances of 5e, more than 40 monsters (including some new ones from the 5e Monster Manual), and around 100 spells from the players handbook updated on the spellbook token on the library page.

EDIT (Oct 15, 2014): An updated version of the built-in framework (without the starter set maps, but with a bunch of new features) is now available in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25450 or directly downloaded: bit.ly/1p8SRHZ

ps


Last edited by paulstrait on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Deity
 
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 am
Posts: 9427
Location: Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:13 pm 
Thank you for sharing!

_________________
GETTING STARTED WITH MAPTOOLS - TUTORIALS, DOCS, VIDEOS, TOOLS, ETC

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 am
Posts: 101
Location: Canada
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:47 pm 
Awesome job Paul! I'm going to start a D&D 5th game soon and this works quite well! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the hard work! :P

_________________
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 am
Posts: 101
Location: Canada
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:46 pm 
I noticed that your invisible Macro doesn't actually render the token invisible but just labels it invisible. I wrote some code for this that works where as the owner and the GM can still see the token but others cannot. Note that I use the state "TokenInvisible" from Wolph42's "state" pack, you can just replace that part of the code with the state "Invisible" in your own code. (I'm sure you would figure that out anyway) Here's the code . . .
Code:
[H: "<!-- get a list of selected tokens -->"]
[H: ids = getSelected()]

[H: "<!-- if we have more than one token selected, output error and exit -->"]
[h: doAbort = if(listCount(ids)==0,0,1)]
[h: abort(doAbort)]
[h: assert(listCount(ids) == 1,"<font color=red><b>" + getMacroName() + "</b> may only be run on one token at at time.</font>",0)]

[H: "<!-- at this point we should only have one token id in our list so grab the first and only token id -->"]
[h: token=listGet(ids, 0)]

[H: "<!-- getOwnerOnlyVisible state -->"]
[h: Vis=getOwnerOnlyVisible(token)]

[H: "<!-- if we are set to OwnerOnlyVisible then we need to toggle -->"]
[h: Vis=if(Vis==1, 0, 1)]

[H: "<!-- set the TokenInvisible state to correspond with our toggled OwnerOnlyVisible state -->"]
[h: setState("TokenInvisible", Vis,token)]

[H: "<!-- setOwnerOnlyVisible to our toggle OwnerOnlyVisible state -->"]
[h: setOwnerOnlyVisible(Vis,token)]

[H: "<!-- create Disappear/Appear message -->"]
[h: msg=if(Vis==1,"Disappears!!","Appears!!")]
[h: msg=getName(token) + " " + msg]

[H: "<!-- send Disappear/Appear message to everyone only if we are a player.  GM toggles should be silent. -->"]
[h, if(isGM()==0), Code: {
  [h: outputTo("all",msg)]
}]


Let me know if you have any problems implementing this. Thanks again for yours and Yoricks start on the framework for 5E! 8)

_________________
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Deity
 
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 am
Posts: 9427
Location: Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:52 am 
Quote:
I use the state "TokenInvisible" from Wolph42's "state" pack

I don't recall ever to have created a state pack...

_________________
GETTING STARTED WITH MAPTOOLS - TUTORIALS, DOCS, VIDEOS, TOOLS, ETC

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 am
Posts: 101
Location: Canada
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 am 
wolph42 wrote:
Quote:
I use the state "TokenInvisible" from Wolph42's "state" pack

I don't recall ever to have created a state pack...


Sorry bout that Wolph42. I gave you the credit for that "?state pack?" (is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?) where the "TokenInvisible" state is included in Imarkus D&D/Pathfinder framework. Still, I guess I should post this code to the user creation/macro section.

_________________
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!


Last edited by Sereptus on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm
Posts: 326
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:47 pm 
Sereptus wrote:
I noticed that your invisible Macro doesn't actually render the token invisible but just labels it invisible. I wrote some code for this that works where as the owner and the GM can still see the token but others cannot. Note that I use the state "TokenInvisible" from Wolph42's "state" pack, you can just replace that part of the code with the state "Invisible" in your own code. (I'm sure you would figure that out anyway) Here's the code . . .
Code:
[H: "<!-- get a list of selected tokens -->"]
[H: ids = getSelected()]

[H: "<!-- if we have more than one token selected, output error and exit -->"]
[h: doAbort = if(listCount(ids)==0,0,1)]
[h: abort(doAbort)]
[h: assert(listCount(ids) == 1,"<font color=red><b>" + getMacroName() + "</b> may only be run on one token at at time.</font>",0)]

[H: "<!-- at this point we should only have one token id in our list so grab the first and only token id -->"]
[h: token=listGet(ids, 0)]

[H: "<!-- getOwnerOnlyVisible state -->"]
[h: Vis=getOwnerOnlyVisible(token)]

[H: "<!-- if we are set to OwnerOnlyVisible then we need to toggle -->"]
[h: Vis=if(Vis==1, 0, 1)]

[H: "<!-- set the TokenInvisible state to correspond with our toggled OwnerOnlyVisible state -->"]
[h: setState("TokenInvisible", Vis,token)]

[H: "<!-- setOwnerOnlyVisible to our toggle OwnerOnlyVisible state -->"]
[h: setOwnerOnlyVisible(Vis,token)]

[H: "<!-- create Disappear/Appear message -->"]
[h: msg=if(Vis==1,"Disappears!!","Appears!!")]
[h: msg=getName(token) + " " + msg]

[H: "<!-- send Disappear/Appear message to everyone only if we are a player.  GM toggles should be silent. -->"]
[h, if(isGM()==0), Code: {
  [h: outputTo("all",msg)]
}]


Let me know if you have any problems implementing this. Thanks again for yours and Yoricks start on the framework for 5E! 8)



Awesome! btw, I recently discovered a minor error with the vision-blocking in the Redbrand hideoutmap -- in the first room, it blocks the water when it shouldn't.

My players have written a ton of new macros for their tokens, especially relating to spellcasting. Every week they become more robust. Once they get to a more finished state I will upload them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm
Posts: 326
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:51 pm 
I've made some general improvements -- I fixed the vision-blocking issue, I added in treasure notes to the other maps, and I added some new properties. My players have also been writing lots of macros, including a new attack macro that has much more functionality. I added maps for the Old Owl Well and Wyvern Tor, and I've also started expanding a dungeon beneath the Old Owl Well, though it is very much in progress (and my players explored the first level, so all the creatures are currently dead). I fixed some of the monsters attack macros so that critical hits are rolled properly.

The campaign macro for imposing the Dead state also moves the token to the object layer now.

The new file is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/214 ... ver3.cmpgn


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Cave Troll
 
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:05 am
Posts: 99
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:29 pm 
Very cool. I see you lifted the ability check from the framework I cobbled together, and I know that's broken with regards to Expertise. It does "+5" and should do "times 2" in the final rules.

I am nowhere near where you are here with my own effort, so I'd rather help with this, if you don't mind. Let me know whether you want to stick heads together on the ability check / skills / proficiency handling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm
Posts: 326
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:03 pm 
yorick wrote:
Very cool. I see you lifted the ability check from the framework I cobbled together, and I know that's broken with regards to Expertise. It does "+5" and should do "times 2" in the final rules.

I am nowhere near where you are here with my own effort, so I'd rather help with this, if you don't mind. Let me know whether you want to stick heads together on the ability check / skills / proficiency handling.



Sure, let's work together. I think the expertise / proficiency thing is fixed. In the updated version (linked in the edited original post) there is some development, a lot of which has been driven by my players writing macros for their tokens. I think I will post another updated version in a week or so, perhaps with another set of maps and encounters, as my players have been sharing their macros with each other and creating some more sophisticated things. I've been making some custom monsters here and there but I expect with the MM out next week that I'll have a better idea of what is needed to facilitate programming and running monsters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm
Posts: 326
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:55 am 
I just posted a major update - see the original post, or download the file here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/214 ... ver5.cmpgn . The changes are too numerous to enumerate, but the biggest one is a standardized process for spells, and nearly 100 spells from the PHB have been added (and the process for adding new ones is straightforward -- these are just spells my players have used or monsters have known). The cantrip macros are pretty basic, but higher level spells have the full information. Moreover, there is a macro that allows you to choose the level spell slot you are using to cast them, and modifies the output accordingly. It also keeps track of who is concentrating on a spell, and what spell they are concentrating on, in case that gets forgotten. The initiative macros are a little more sophisticated as well. Critical hits calculate correctly now. Each of my players is doing their own thing to some extent, so their tokens present possible models for certain kinds of abilities.


Last edited by paulstrait on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Kobold
 
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 pm
Posts: 8
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:07 pm 
As one of the players in this campaign working on developing stuff, feel free to mercilessly critique our code. This is our first "serious" attempt to cobble something together for ourselves, though we have used a number of the more popular frameworks for earlier editions.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:52 pm
Posts: 121
Location: Grand forks ND
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:12 am 
From my perspective the framework is a little big. I would spin some of the maps off into individual files. most of the dungeon maps can be loaded before the game sessions I looked at your ability check macro and saw you had a check box for proficiency when making the roll but i see no call for the proficiency bonus am i missing it or has it not been implemented yet? any way thats all i got for now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm
Posts: 326
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:22 am 
Dervish wrote:
From my perspective the framework is a little big. I would spin some of the maps off into individual files. most of the dungeon maps can be loaded before the game sessions I looked at your ability check macro and saw you had a check box for proficiency when making the roll but i see no call for the proficiency bonus am i missing it or has it not been implemented yet? any way thats all i got for now


I'll post the framework separately, that's a good idea. As for the proficiency -- did you click it and it not work? When you click the proficiency checkbox, it should display in the chat area "Used Proficiency" and modify the resulting roll by the proficiency bonus (the SkillDie property). The relevant part of the _abilityCheck macro is this:

Quote:
[H, if(useDie == 1): skillroll = eval(SkillDie+"+0"); skillroll = 0]


and, later,

Quote:
[H, if(useDie == 1):
output = json.append(output,strformat('Used Proficiency'
))]


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:52 pm
Posts: 121
Location: Grand forks ND
 Post subject: Re: Lost Mine of Phandelver (5e, with built in framework)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:12 pm 
I was looking for an integer 2,3,4,5,6 so i completely overlooked that section


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 243 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:14 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Style based on Andreas08 by Andreas Viklund

Style by Elizabeth Shulman