FEATURE: triggerables

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
RPTroll
TheBard

Re: FEATURE: triggerables

Post by RPTroll »

Can we extend that to include polygon vertices and other trigger properties or, in your opinion, is it better to create something wholly new that we have to adapt current asset functionality to?

While we're at it, does any portion of a cell count as a whole cell? I would say yes but would like to hear what others think. Also, how does this affect gridless?
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Yes, we can simply add a shape object to the token class to hold the polygon. Currently the get xy function returns only upper left xy or center iirc for unsnapped tokens. AM and Wolf know about that. Being a polygon asset, im not sure we want to even allow snap to grid? or at least not the same behaviour? Today you dont draw assets, so how do you handle it? Do you draw snapped to grid? freeform? count any cell that you draw over?

If dnd games, either a cell is something or it's not. So by cell calculations may be useful. Dunno, So many ways to do it but gotta watch out for scope creep.
-Jamz

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I agree on the scope creep. I'm just asking questions to see if there are some shortcuts using existing asset functionality. Wolph, I and others would like triggerable tokens/stamps so somehow getting the drawable there would seem to be a reduction in the coding required to the end point.

In the end, I'm in favor of the path that gets us there the quickest and can be maintained but this and the next generations of rptoolers. If a drawing is that with some asset functionality thrown in then I'm for it. Likewise if its easier to add drawing functionality to an token/stamp.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

getX/Y returns upper left. IRC always (so for all functions that do anything with token coords, like getDistance, getTokenXY, etc.)

stuff to keep in mind and to really think through are:
1 when is it triggered (both snap and unsnap, both token and drawable, both footprint and 'imageprint') thinking this thoroughly and logically through is a challenge.
2a how to handle a triggerable that exists out of multiple shapes
b dito tokens
c dito mix of tokens and shapes

Concerning 2: Initially i suggested linking them by their id/name. But in case of shapes only maybe differently? E.g. the onion layered square I mentioned earlier, one layer (so a square with a hole in the middle) is most easily build up from 4 rectangles, but they should act as one triggereable. They can be linked, but you can also create the 'trigger interface' such that anything-your-draw-at-this-moment-is-part-of-the-triggerable.

Concerning one. ill try to create a table.

edit: here's the matrix: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
edit and comment to your liking!!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

JamzTheMan wrote:Today you don't draw assets, so how do you handle it? Do you draw snapped to grid? freeform? count any cell that you draw over?
I was thinking that we draw a trigger then, when happy with the shape, turn it into an asset/token/stamp as part of the editing process where you assign a name and a macro/capability. It doesn't transform until you save. During edit, you can go back and redraw on the map, keeping all the other properties.

Down that thought path, you extend the current asset class, overloading what you need and adding the geometry capability. (this is all said in complete ignorance of how it actually happens). Again, if that takes burden away from the developer.
wolph42 wrote:edit: here's the matrix: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
edit and comment to your liking!!
I added date to the second sheet so we can list out pros and cons of the drawing trigger vs. turning it into a token/stamp/asset. I didn't finish before my work day started. Feel free to add your arguments for and against both methods. I've found that usually the answer pops out when this kind of thing is filled in.
JamzTheMan wrote:In dnd games, either a cell is something or it's not. So by cell calculations may be useful. Dunno, So many ways to do it but gotta watch out for scope creep.
I'm good with any cell coverage means the entire cell is covered. In fact, I'm not sure there is another option.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”