FEATURE: VBL Stamps

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
wolph42
Winter Wolph

FEATURE: VBL Stamps

Post by wolph42 »

(This is a feature post, discussion about the functionality of this feature (and this featue alone) can be done here.)

VBL on stamps and tokens that is saved as part of the rptok file. rotates and scales with the token.

this is more tricky. Jamz and I created a working model which is used both in the BoT and the Dungeon Builder II. The tricky part is to decide 'which part of the VBL is the stamp'. Some examples
a. ALL vbl on the token area is the stamp.
b. A special function that applies VBL to a token is the stamp (e.g. cross, square, etc. in several sizes including larger than the token area).
c. A special drawing mode/toggle turns on 'All VBL you are currently drawing will be part of the VBL stamp of the selected/designated token'
then question arise like:
- how does the VBL stamp interact with existing VBL (i.e. moving a vbl stamp on existing vbl and then moving it out again)
- how do you apply/remove/change/manage/copy/paste the stamp
- how do you store it (on token or in a database)

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: FEATURE: VBL Stamps

Post by RPTroll »

Putting a VBL Editor as part of the edit token dialog would solve how to keep it with the token. Rendering it is another matter. Functionally you may need to have two VBLs. One for drawn another for stamps. You might want to limit stamp VBL to background so token and object movement doesn't trigger anything bad.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

RPTroll wrote:Putting a VBL Editor as part of the edit token dialog would solve how to keep it with the token.
How would you envision that? Assume a house with internal walls, would you see the small image field in the token editor and then have some vbl draw tools available?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Yes, something like that. An editing window inside the edit asset dialog that has the VBL tools available to it if it's a background object. You should be able to resize the window to get as much editing space as you need as well as zoom in and zoom out. In theory, you could load up a png map that you've plopped down, right click edit, modify VBL then save the rptok file with the VBL for use on other campaign files or copiable from map to map in MapTool.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

+1 with a technical note.

Today, with BoT/Macro usage of draw/eraseVBL macro's, we are editing the VBL layer itself. This has the problem of possibly leaving wierd vbl jaggies as a stamp with, say, an X vbl walks through existing VBL.

I would change this (and may be easier anyway) so when the getVBLArea (inner java call) returns the Area of VBL, it does a pass on all tokens in the area and adds the VBL to it (except when called from getVBL() macro!).

And do the get/draw/eraseVBL macro's need tokenID(s) as parameters now do you can interact with them or the VBL layer via macro? (shouldn't be hard).

And I agree, a dialog would be required (I'm thinking expand on/reuse/change the preview window on the Config token next to Portrait where you can resize/move token offset as it may be useful/required to adjust VBL along with resizing the token so combine the UI?
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

re getVBL() macro (and the others). I just know as soon as we store VBL on a Token, your next request would be "Can I get/change that VBL via a macro?". Just beating you to the punch. :) So those VBL macros could be changed to allow yet another parameter of TokenID so it returns VBL just on the token vs the VBL Area.

Regarding the UI. When you edit a token, there is a preview windows in the lower left (next to Portrait and Handout views). You can adjust the token size and position relative to the grid. I propose we modify that UI aspect (probably just move that window to another tab and give it the full tab) so you can adjust the size/re-position and edit the VBL all in one window.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JamzTheMan wrote:re getVBL() macro (and the others). I just know as soon as we store VBL on a Token, your next request would be "Can I get/change that VBL via a macro?". Just beating you to the punch. :) So those VBL macros could be changed to allow yet another parameter of TokenID so it returns VBL just on the token vs the VBL Area.

Regarding the UI. When you edit a token, there is a preview windows in the lower left (next to Portrait and Handout views). You can adjust the token size and position relative to the grid. I propose we modify that UI aspect (probably just move that window to another tab and give it the full tab) so you can adjust the size/re-position and edit the VBL all in one window.
ah right. now its clear and indeed: 2x yes.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

JamzTheMan wrote:Regarding the UI. When you edit a token, there is a preview windows in the lower left (next to Portrait and Handout views). You can adjust the token size and position relative to the grid. I propose we modify that UI aspect (probably just move that window to another tab and give it the full tab) so you can adjust the size/re-position and edit the VBL all in one window.
Yes. That's what I was thinking.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”