FEATURE: Set View On Load Campaign

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
wolph42
Winter Wolph

FEATURE: Set View On Load Campaign

Post by wolph42 »

(This is a feature post, discussion about the functionality of this feature (and this featue alone) can be done here.)

Set View On Load Campaign: Set default load map and load map center

easiest would be a menu item or context menu item 'set this view as the on load campaign view' (or something). Of course you need to keep in check stuff like when the map in question is deleted

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: FEATURE: Set View On Load Campaign

Post by JamzTheMan »

So a button next to the World (map changer) button? "Set Default view on Load" (ok, shorter name needed).

Press the button and it remembers for that campaign, the Map, view, and zoom level?
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JamzTheMan wrote:So a button next to the World (map changer) button? "Set Default view on Load" (ok, shorter name needed).

Press the button and it remembers for that campaign, the Map, view, and zoom level?
yes for example. although this is a feature you don't constantly need so i would not use it to clutter the valuable screenspace but put it in the menu or context menu (right mouse click menu)
edit: apparently this is my way of saying: no not a good idea to do it that way.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

wolph42 wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote:So a button next to the World (map changer) button? "Set Default view on Load" (ok, shorter name needed).

yes for example. although this is a feature you don't constantly need so i would not use it to clutter the valuable screenspace but put it in the menu or context menu (right mouse click menu)
edit: apparently this is my way of saying: no not a good idea to do it that way.
Yep yep, although we have plenty of menu bar space to throw an icon next to the world map icon, but not sure if it will be intuitive? Although a screen popup message that tells you it's set would work.

I'm ok with a menu option as well. It can be checked to show it's set? Just need a menu name that is informative and tells the user just exactly what it does.

Would this be used more like a: "I want my campaign to start here all the time" or b: "Let me save where we left off so next time we play it jumps here" or c: "Who knows, probably both and b".
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

If you 'clear' it you start on last saved point (lsp) (like it does now onloadcampaign) if you set it it takes that point and map. If the map is removed it is also cleared.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I was wondering if this should actually be a properties of a Map rather than a Campaign, and then a Campaign would have the ability to open a specified map?

Incidentally, what rules does Maptool use when you open a map, or campaign? I notice that when you open a campaign it tends to return you to the view you had at the time of the last save, but when you start a server it all goes a bit random ;)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I guess it would be map specific. If you can have "Set as Load Map" and "Set as Current Map" then have the option in campaign "Load to Load Map" or "Load to Current Map". If current map isn't set then it will just be the last map visited. Load Map could be server related and current map could be client related. Load Map will override current map if set by server. Load Map will need to be visible to players.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

aliasmask wrote:I guess it would be map specific. If you can have "Set as Load Map" and "Set as Current Map" then have the option in campaign "Load to Load Map" or "Load to Current Map". If current map isn't set then it will just be the last map visited. Load Map could be server related and current map could be client related. Load Map will override current map if set by server. Load Map will need to be visible to players.
Shiney
aka +1
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “MapTool 1.4”