FEATURE: Dice Box

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
wolph42
Winter Wolph

FEATURE: Dice Box

Post by wolph42 »

(This is a feature post, discussion about the functionality of this feature (and this featue alone) can be done here.)

A Dice Box.
Preferably similar to the BoT version, which is a upgraded version of Rumbles dicebox:
UI Dice Box
Schermafdruk 2015-03-19 10.03.46.png
Schermafdruk 2015-03-19 10.03.46.png (35.1 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
Schermafdruk 2015-03-19 10.03.51.png
Schermafdruk 2015-03-19 10.03.51.png (37.52 KiB) Viewed 1542 times

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: FEATURE: Dice Box

Post by JamzTheMan »

Do we make it more system friendly? Star wars has symbols vs number, fate has +/-, Earthdawn groups dice into "Steps". At the least, allow grouping or presets? Probably should look at a few android/iphone dice apps for ideas.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JamzTheMan wrote:Do we make it more system friendly? Star wars has symbols vs number, fate has +/-, Earthdawn groups dice into "Steps". At the least, allow grouping or presets? Probably should look at a few android/iphone dice apps for ideas.
im not sure thats feasible. i would opt for 'the basics' as with my improved version of rumbles dicebox. It already has quite some customization. What is important is that it should be optional (like all the mt panels). If you try to make this agnostic i think you widen the project too much and end up with nothing.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

My thought was something like, a panel that start off blank, there is an "add die" button, you get to tell it number of sides, set a image for it, done.

You would then add another die, and so on. Possibly allow a die to be added to an existing die (nest them), so it may be a d20 plus a special 6 sided die. Or allow 40 sets to be added, to support something like Earthdawn.

More bonus, allow user to specify asset/image for each die side (ala support Star Wars). Maybe you set the die up like a Table or use a table? All this saved with the campaign.

Default panel could be d4-d20. Just thoughts. Could start with simple, but a proper data structure up front will allow for better utility/customization going forward.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

ok that sounds pretty cool. Its also not that im against it, its more that i know that widening and deepening a project == killing a project. But as you describe it it does not really sound like extra work, just different work.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

wolph42 wrote:ok that sounds pretty cool. Its also not that im against it, its more that i know that widening and deepening a project == killing a project. But as you describe it it does not really sound like extra work, just different work.
Yeah, there's that.

DiceTool has some cool functions + the ability to write javascript additions. I think something like that would be the eventual end point.

I agree with Wolphie. Start simple, get something out. Build complexity as needed.

I like Jamz concept about adding rolls/die. Possibly make these loadable or downloadable for different game systems. d20 has the broadest use but I play a lot of Savage Worlds with exploding die rolls. There's a large Fate contingent as well. So savable configs would be a great value add.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

So we kinda sorta have to main things then? (I'm just clarifying for my own sake, I honestly never use Dice Rolls in MT as we place face to face, but I still like as a whole)

1. Quick dice buttons, click a button or two to roll some dice without needing to type /roll 1d20+1d4+12
1a. Dice roll types? (checkboxes/dropdown or such to select how to roll the dice? ie Hero systems, Shadowrun, DnD, World of Darkness, count successes vs add he total mainly)

2. Dice macros, build more complex rolls (javascript you say?) Build and save sets of dice etc? Not sure how people use these

Oh, forgot:

3. 3D dice that roll across the screen with dice sounds and physics! (could be done with box2d)

<ducks as everyone throws their largest dice at my head> Ya ya, Keep It Simple Stupid. #3 is a joke BUT who knows, I may wonder over there for a POC later this year...as it sounds fun to research.

But I assume we really are looking for #1, with #1a later if time permits with finally #2 (and 3!). And I would definitely want it export/importable. Preferably as human readable XML or JSON format, as it could be a lot faster to build via notepad.
-Jamz

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

For 2 stick with mtScipt unless you just gott.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

1a. Dice roll types? (checkboxes/dropdown or such to select how to roll the dice? ie Hero systems, Shadowrun, DnD, World of Darkness, count successes vs add he total mainly)
don't forget warhammer. although the interest has declined a bit last year (probly cause I don't do any updates any more) it was still downloaded over 1200 times this year.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote: 3. 3D dice that roll across the screen with dice sounds and physics! (could be done with box2d)

<ducks as everyone throws their largest dice at my head> Ya ya, Keep It Simple Stupid. #3 is a joke BUT who knows, I may wonder over there for a POC later this year...as it sounds fun to research.
If you do that, make the dice bounce off the tokens on the map or respect the VBL.

Oh, and make sure you can turn it off, sounds like a feature I'd use once and never again ;)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

No no no, bounce off VBL but move tokens. It has to be realistic and dice ALWAYS knock over and move mini's. I think the physic's engine can take into account Mass. We can based it on the token "size" or if you put a "weight" property on the token we can use that.

Obviously they should bump off large tokens like dragons or tanks but PC's should get pushed into other NPC tokens constantly. Not sure if that provokes OOA though?

May need a onTokenDiceMove() event so it's different than the onTokenMove() event.
-Jamz

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Don't forget to have the ability for players to roll outside of game play until they 'get the bad rolls out'. That is critical.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Hmm, that does remind me of a feature I need to add for my brother.

In Shadowrun, he would like to roll his dice pool into/near his other dice then cherry pick out the dice he wanted. So we need player to be able to put their dice bag full of dice on the map. Then not count the results after they are rolled but after the player repicks which dice they want to count. If the GM doesn't notice, it counts.

Maybe we can "monetize" this, you get 1 "set" of dice from MT free, but open a store that sells more dice with different colors. With this feature people may need to buy lots and lots of dice! And we know all gamers LOVE to buy dice!
-Jamz

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You would have the Savages rejoicing.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”