FEATURE: Isometric Map - BETA

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: FEATURE: Isometric Map - BETA

Post by Jagged »

Correct.

If you have the images you were planning on using, please post or link to them here, and I will use them for testing. Cheers!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

May be difficult since the typical way would be to have a 3d model and program to get all the views. I'll use a game character creator and see what I can do with photoshop.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can use this. The gif is more pixelated than the original images.
Spoiler
tera animated 2.gif
tera animated 2.gif (303.79 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Attachments
tera iso facing.zip
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 38 times

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Again, nice work and jealous. Wish I had more free time lately... :cry:

So, in theory, your table "could" use 360 images for complete/smooth rotation? Not that anyone would, but it looks to support it (or even 12, 16, 25, etc) sets of degrees?

I'd also still like an option to use a "Pog" on a regular grid instead and Iso on isometric grid. Given I only have limited number of Isometric graphics, my plan would to us primarily Pogs as I do today, but may have that one Iso map for a set encounter?

So a little control on a token by token basis on what it's shape and images are based on Grid type may be nice?

I know, nit pick nit pick, and trying not to, I'd still use it as it stands now! Brilliant work!
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

aliasmask wrote:You can use this.
Thanks, that works great!
tera.jpg
tera.jpg (67.18 KiB) Viewed 715 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Real iso images would be hard to come by, but making a figure token is easy. All you need is a full length character image and put them on an iso base. Scaling would be easy if you don't want to eyeball it. For my template, 400px is 5ft. I think the real challenge for iso maps is drawing the vbl. The MOTE team doesn't use iso (i think) but they can have objects with custom vbl. That would be great for making walls disappear. I forget, does the latest build of 1.4 implement that too or is that just a custom build for now?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote:So, in theory, your table "could" use 360 images for complete/smooth rotation? Not that anyone would, but it looks to support it (or even 12, 16, 25, etc) sets of degrees?
Absolutely :)
JamzTheMan wrote: I'd also still like an option to use a "Pog" on a regular grid instead and Iso on isometric grid. Given I only have limited number of Isometric graphics, my plan would to us primarily Pogs as I do today, but may have that one Iso map for a set encounter?

So a little control on a token by token basis on what it's shape and images are based on Grid type may be nice?
Unfortunately I have taken the design decision that a Figure token should work consistently on all grid types. You can sort of do it though, if you give the token a traditional circular pog, then when you clear the facing, you get the circle token. So close, but not quite what you are after.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

aliasmask wrote: I notice, at least in the config panel it stays with in the bounds of the square rather than being tall.
I have updated the config panel so it displays the isometric grid correctly
editToken.jpg
editToken.jpg (90.71 KiB) Viewed 713 times

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Quick question: Should a token that displays different images depending upon facing, also display facing arrows?

I am inclined to think, "No." What do people think?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:Quick question: Should a token that displays different images depending upon facing, also display facing arrows?

I am inclined to think, "No." What do people think?
Yes, I would conformity with the rest of mt, so always show the arrow.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

wolph42 wrote: Yes, I would conformity with the rest of mt, so always show the arrow.
After playing with it for a bit, I am inclined to think you are right. You are going to need the accuracy of the arrow. Although you could argue that Tokens with Image Tables are behaving like "Top Down" tokens and so shouldn't have an arrow.

I thought I might see what it looks like if I make the arrow transparent, when its pointing backwards.
arrows.jpg
arrows.jpg (130.25 KiB) Viewed 710 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Like the top down, I wouldn't show arrows if they are using the table for facing or at the very least make it optional.

I like the transparent look for the "up" direction, but I would keep the arrow in the bounds of the iso square. Perhaps a slight transparency for all the directions would look nice.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Re: When in doubt, make it an option. :-) What's one more checkbox? I would think, even if you have a table of images, say 4 or 8 normally, what if you are spun in-between, like, 93 degrees? It wouldn't register anything right? Where a top down would still slightly rotate...

And also, it is starting to look like TokenTool needs some new option, because not everyone is a Gimp/PhotoShop master...

So what's the trick? Supply some Isometric bases, then center the image automatically? Do you need to adjust where the "figure" stands on the base? I wouldn't think you would do any cropping or anything right? You pretty much have to start with a good transparent figure and then it's basically "sizing" it, or should that be automated to?

I suppose you could also feed it a set of images so it could save a "MT Table" for you?

What should the IsoTokenTool do and/or not do?
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Yes, option for the arrow is probly best and indeed, try to keep it within the bounding boxes, with multiple tokens this could get messy.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”