FoW - For PC's only?

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

FoW - For PC's only?

Post by JamzTheMan »

OK, so going over some of the FoW code and confused on some of the menu options, etc.

Is FoW suppose to be for PC's only? The rightClickMenu options seem to be not clear or it's a bug (I lean towards the later). Here we have 2 PC tokens and a NPC token. RIght-Clicking on the NPC token shows:

Expose -> Visible Area
Expose -> Only Currently Visible

Now, if you choose the first, it exposes the FoW for what that current token sees, BUT it adds said exposed area to what the PC tokens can view?

Choosing the "Only Currently Visible" resets ALL FoW for ALL tokens and exposes only what PC tokens can see. (So same as the macro Wiki: exposePCOnlyArea(). One would think it would reset the FoW for the currently selected token(s) only (PC or NPC). By virtue of selecting a menu choice on a token, I expect to interact with that tokens FoW?

Now, this is for 1.3b89 - 1.4.0.0. I submitted a patch for 1.4.0.0 but can see it may not be comprehensive enough.

*Taken with server on and Individual views selected.
NPC Menu
fow_menu.JPG
fow_menu.JPG (125.04 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Expose -> Visible Area
fow_npc_add.JPG
fow_npc_add.JPG (103.22 KiB) Viewed 772 times
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: FoW - For PC's only?

Post by aliasmask »

Right, FOW is only for PCs and non-gms. Any player controlled tokens should be set to PC even if they are an NPC like an animal companion or just an NPC tagging along with group. The same can be said for vision in general.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

So, as a GM, you see no need to know/track what a NPC can/has seen? I find that hard to believe for all games/systems/gm's?

And if that is the case, then at the least, should the menus ne renamed 'Reveal area to PC's' and 'Reset FOW to current Pc views' or something more descriptive to what the menu choices do?

I still plan to break it up so NPC vision and FoW work for my nerps version, it makes GM'ing easier for me at least knowing what each NPC can see. But wanted to know if that truly has always been the case as it doesn't seem to quite match what I see in the code, based on intentions based on method names. wasnt sure if it just broke a long time back.
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can turn on an NPC's vision and it will show the vision lines (if I recall) but just doesn't reveal FOW supposedly because NPCs are controlled by the GM and they see everything. I think clarifying the reveal terminology would be helpful and adding more functionality is never a bad thing.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”