Stack overflow error on 1.4.0.5 ??

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Ditto
Giant

Stack overflow error on 1.4.0.5 ??

Post by Ditto »

Hi guys, hoping I can get some ideas ... I recall reading that the new 1.4 would eliminate the annoying stack overflow errors ... and for the most part it seems to ..

I currently have 1.3 b89 installed and working and our group is currently "converting" over to 1.4.0.5 now .. and most of us are fine.

We had 1 player hit the stack overflow .. however, she reinstalled latest Java (1.8 ish ) and it worked fine.

The last player, however, is having the issue ... same stack overflow error (while running a macro)

He's tried to reinstall latest Java 1.8 ... but no such luck, still erroring out.

I'm still troubleshooting with him, so don't have all the info ... but I'm just hoping to get ideas to check next time I'm on with him.

I'm still waiting to hear back if he installed 32 bit java or 64 bit ... I "assume" he's on a 64 bit machine .. (Windows 7 last I checked).
but I'll confirm that next time I'm on.

We've tried changing the java memory settings:
2048 Mb Max.
Nothing in Min
32 Mb stack size.

Those settings work fine for me ... and he has a LOT more memory than I do. (like I have 4 Gb, he has something stupid like 32 Gb ... seriously .. O.o )

I'll try to link him to this thread so he can help post info direct if needed ...

would appreciate any ideas ?
Thanks!
Attachments
Stats.txt
Attached file is the Macro being run throwing the error.
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Stack overflow error on 1.4.0.5 ??

Post by aliasmask »

Typical setting are
2048 max mem
64 min (default)
4 stack

32 seems a bit excessive.

Ditto
Giant

Post by Ditto »

aliasmask wrote:Typical setting are
2048 max mem
64 min (default)
4 stack

32 seems a bit excessive.
that was our settings from previous build ... worked fine ... so I kept it in the new one .. still works fine.

we tried with and without the 32 with our problem PC ... no change .. stack overflow still being thrown.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Ditto wrote:
aliasmask wrote:32 seems a bit excessive.
that was our settings from previous build ... worked fine ... so I kept it in the new one .. still works fine.
That's crazy excessive. It's not all that unusual to start seeing issues when people get over 10. 32 is a time bomb.
we tried with and without the 32 with our problem PC ... no change .. stack overflow still being thrown.
We'll need to see the "problem pc's" Help/Gather Debug information.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Ditto
Giant

Post by Ditto »

Full Bleed wrote:
Ditto wrote:
aliasmask wrote:32 seems a bit excessive.
That's crazy excessive. It's not all that unusual to start seeing issues when people get over 10. 32 is a time bomb.
again ... I think it's a red herring, really .. as we defaulted to NOT those settings when we first tried him ... so defaults, all around ...
stack overflow ... so then changed to mine settings (which work fine for the rest of us) .. and still same error.

So default Stack size .. of .. whatever it is .. (I guess 2 or 4?) throws the error still.
We'll need to see the "problem pc's" Help/Gather Debug information.
I'll get on that ... need to reach out to the other guy :)

Thanks!

(personally - I think it's something wrong with his Java .. or MT not using/seeing the right java ... but I have no idea - which is why I'm here :) )

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

Ditto wrote: Thanks!

(personally - I think it's something wrong with his Java .. or MT not using/seeing the right java ... but I have no idea - which is why I'm here :) )
Have him open a command line and type

Code: Select all

java -version
, so he can verify that it is using 64 bit java. Sometimes if you have 32-bit java also installed it designates itself as the default. If that's the case, the easiest solution is probably to have him uninstall all but the one version of java that he wants.

Ditto
Giant

Post by Ditto »

paulstrait wrote:
Ditto wrote: Thanks!

Have him open a command line and type

Code: Select all

java -version
, so he can verify that it is using 64 bit java. Sometimes if you have 32-bit java also installed it designates itself as the default. If that's the case, the easiest solution is probably to have him uninstall all but the one version of java that he wants.
Thanks . yeah .. that's already on the "to do list" ;)

once I get all that info .. I'll add it here.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Ditto wrote:(personally - I think it's something wrong with his Java .. or MT not using/seeing the right java ... but I have no idea - which is why I'm here :) )
There may be... but it may be more significant than that... or a combination of things... for example, he might not be operating with the right memory settings at all. Perople accidentally run MT with "default" memory settings all the time.

The reason I focused on the stack and not the Java install is because *if* you're using a 2048 MAX and he's installed 32 Bit Java... MT won't even run. Nevermind the stack overflow error... you won't get to that.

But if he's running default memory settings (due to how he might be loading MT) *and* 32 bit Java... a taxing macro could throw that error (because it's a 2 stack, when it probably needs at least 4).

The upside is that this is, typically, a simple fix once we have all the right info... which we should have soon enough. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Full Bleed wrote:But if he's running default memory settings (due to how he might be loading MT) *and* 32 bit Java...
This is worth confirming. If, for instance, he's running 32 bit Java, and he tried the launcher with 2048 max memory, nothing would happen when he tells it to run MT. So, thinking he's set the memory setting, he double clicks on the MT .jar directly, and it launches - but with the default memory settings. (This is what I did, and it was very frustrating to figure it out.)

So confirm that he's starting up MT with the launcher, not directly.

Ditto
Giant

Post by Ditto »

Roger roger ... was going to confirm the 32 bit vs 64 bit java .. but definitely yes, will confirm that.

Thanks!

In the meantime .. any ideas/suggestions on the code? Anything happen to leap out at anyone as "Oh, this might not be helping!" :)

Ditto
Giant

Post by Ditto »

Ok ... update time:

Friend got in touch with me (finally) :)
and confirmed Java 32 bit was installed. He uninstalled, and reinstalled 64 bit .. and viola .. all working now ..

Just for future posterity ... "current" java version is 1.8 - ish ..

So I think he's flipped mem settings back to default (if not, I'll suggest he do so) .. since so far, I don't think I've really noticed any effect with those settings with 1.4 once you have Java setup properly :)

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for all the effort put into MT ... really liking the 1.4 version so far .. and less Java issues :)
(and easier to resolve once you encounter them ... )
I like how 99% of the time it's not MT issue now, it's just purely java issue :)

Return to “MapTool 1.4”