FEATURE: Draw Explorer - BETA

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: FEATURE: Draw Explorer - BETA

Post by lmarkus001 »

This is excellent! It would be great if I could highlight objects (in the explorer) and then use the arrow keys to move the object around on the map.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

lmarkus001 wrote:It would be great if I could highlight objects (in the explorer) and then use the arrow keys to move the object around on the map.
Agreed. I've been thinking about different ways to move elements, and that sounds like it could be a good option. Although if I do add that, it will be part of "stage two" ;)

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

So here is how its looking at the moment. The Draw Explorer displays the draw elements in a tree, with an area below where the selected elements are displayed. This allows you to see how certain elements might look like when grouped, before you group them.
drawpanel1.jpg
drawpanel1.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Plus if you have a larger construction, you can select individual elements from the map and see how they relate to each other.
drawpanel2.jpg
drawpanel2.jpg (52.5 KiB) Viewed 1488 times

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I am now working on the final feature before I submit this for merging. If the only elements selected are "cuts", then I want the shape of the cuts to be visible.

I have tried changing the pen to white (as per the various draw tools) but its hard to see against a grey background. So I have make the cuts red, which matches the CUT icons.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I've submitted my work so far for inclusion into the main build. I will almost certainly do a "stage two", but on the GIT principle of keeping branches as short as possible, I thought it better to make a pull request now.

Strangely enough, I am more excited about this than the isometric stuff. Probably because the isometric stuff will only get used once in a while, but I will use the "Draw Explorer" constantly :)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I LOVE the new functionality. This makes things so much easier when creating maps. Cudos! (Kudos?) Whatever. Well done.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Why thank you very much :D

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

So this feature is now live with Release 1.4.0.1

I used it last night, and it was nice for players to be able to easily delete their own blast templates ;)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Got a chance to play around with this for the first time and love the usability improvements. This will definitely make using the drawing tools more attractive.

Some improvements I'd like to see:
1) Header icons (like in the selection window) to be able to delete, move up/move down, and change layer of a selected drawable.
2) Drag-n-drop for layer order instead of just bring to front and back.

At any rate, a real nice addition to MT!
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Full Bleed wrote:Got a chance to play around with this for the first time and love the usability improvements. This will definitely make using the drawing tools more attractive.

Some improvements I'd like to see:
1) Header icons (like in the selection window) to be able to delete, move up/move down, and change layer of a selected drawable.
2) Drag-n-drop for layer order instead of just bring to front and back.

At any rate, a real nice addition to MT!
Agree with everything you say here, Full Bleed!

I just tested this out for the first time too, and my immediate instinct was to try to turn on/off layers by clicking on the 'picture' next to the layer, and also drag the layer to where I wanted it to be. My second attempts were to right click on the layers to see if I could do that stuff.

But this is a HUGE improvement, so I'll take it even if it stays as is! :)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Jagged wrote:So this feature is now live with Release 1.4.0.1

I used it last night, and it was nice for players to be able to easily delete their own blast templates ;)
Wow! I NEVER imagined this being used as a player! For some reason my DM side kicked in and I saw all the possibilities, but it never crossed my mind that players could use this for their spell templates too!

Did I say WOW? :)

Now I need to play with this more and see how it works!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I did think long and hard about whether or not players should have any access to the Draw Explorer.

But I think being able to see blast templates on the token layer (and that's all they can see) is an advantage overall.

This will be particularly useful if in the future they can move them too.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

It looks as though 'Bring to Front" doesn't refresh the map. If you wheel zoom the it adjusts. "Send to Back" seems to work fine.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

RPTroll wrote:It looks as though 'Bring to Front" doesn't refresh the map. If you wheel zoom the it adjusts. "Send to Back" seems to work fine.
Yeah ... he says reluctantly.

You know when you sometimes draw a new shape on the map and it shows the wrong shape, the shape of something you recently deleted? This is the same bug. The problem lies not with the Draw Explorer but with the zone rendering pipeline.

Which is a long way of saying this bug will be time consuming to solve and just repainting the zone won't fix :(

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Understood. It has an easy work around so not a big deal.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”