[FREQ 1.4] Debug Functions and Better Debugging Info

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
aliasmask
RPTools Team

[FREQ 1.4] Debug Functions and Better Debugging Info

Post by aliasmask »

If I want to reliably see what went wrong I go to the log.txt file after enabling the Macro Handling in the advanced tab. I look for the 2nd to last DEBUG line (there's a lot of stuff after that) to find the exact line and error message. What a pain.

It would be nice to be able to turn the macro debugger on/off while in MapTool rather having to restart the program. I wouldn't want it on all the time because of the extra processing involved, but having a toggle to turn it on after getting an error and running the macro again to identify the error would be great. Info I would like to see is the line of code that had error, the message of error and the macro name and token where error occurred.

Perhaps toss in a couple of universal debugging functions like debug.watch(varNames) and debug.pause(varNames) so changes in variables can be seen during a run if these lines were added to the macro code. I have my own custom macros to do this, but I'm sure everyone else would like to have something like this as well.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”