[BUG] Fog of War Issues

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: [BUG] Fog of War Issues

Post by JamzTheMan »

OK, updated results with next two test cases. So I ran through all the iterations (I think) for MapTool 1.3b89q (which should very close to the same results as 1.3b91 outside the non-snap-to-grid movements).

So far, I really only saw a difference when turning on Individual FoW. Just turning on Individual Views seemed to do nothing except filter the Map Explorer...

Also, I'm seeing, what seems to be a bug, with Wiki: exposePCOnlyArea() as it is not functioning the same as Meta-Shift-O...

Lastly, I see some disconnect when a PC token is owned by the GM vs owned by another Player.

Same link:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?page=vi ... Ryav4XdMtM
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote: So far, I really only saw a difference when turning on Individual FoW. Just turning on Individual Views seemed to do nothing except filter the Map Explorer...
This matches my testing.

If you have individual views the Expose tool lets you select individual tokens, suggesting that you can expose/hide fog for just them, but it doesn't work.

The Fog tool only seems to work on areas that have yet to be seem by players i.e. only global fog.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Jagged wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote: If you have individual views the Expose tool lets you select individual tokens, suggesting that you can expose/hide fog for just them, but it doesn't work.
Can you clarify? As you can select tokens before using the tool regardless of server options, although you do get a Pop-up warning you to turn on a server with Individual Views first, which, like you said, suggests they should have their own FoW...

It sounded like you could select tokens with the Expose Tool itself. I had to go, wait, did I miss something? :)
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote:It sounded like you could select tokens with the Expose Tool itself. I had to go, wait, did I miss something? :)
I was just referring to how, if you run with individual views and individual fog, the fog tool highlights the tokens you have selected when you activate the tool. Suggesting that it only modifies those tokens. Which doesn't seem to work ;)
FogTool.jpg
FogTool.jpg (59.02 KiB) Viewed 898 times

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ahhh. You know, I never noticed the gray halo...I'm usually zoomed out to far to see it... I'll pay more attention now.

FYI: I only see the gray halo when I have Individual FoW server option checked, in my 1.3b89q version. Which suggests maybe it broke in 1.91 or later? (it shouldn't show the grey halo if you just have Individual Views checked AFAIK)
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote: FYI: I only see the gray halo when I have Individual FoW server option checked, in my 1.3b89q version. Which suggests maybe it broke in 1.91 or later? (it shouldn't show the grey halo if you just have Individual Views checked AFAIK)
Yes, you only get the grey halo with Individual FoW checked. But that picture is taken from 1.3b91.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Let me ask this to everyone...

With Server started and Individual View/FoW options checked, and using the manual FoW Tool with no tokens selected...

When you Expose/Restore FoW, it applies to the "global" layer of FoW. Do you feel this is Working as designed or do your feel selecting NO token equals selecting ALL tokens?

In other words, should the default behavior apply the changes to all the individual tokens (so you don't have to select all tokens) or keep it as is and you have to select any and all tokens you want to manually expose/restore FoW for?
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Default should be all tokens. If the default is none, then what's the point.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:Let me ask this to everyone...

With Server started and Individual View/FoW options checked, and using the manual FoW Tool with no tokens selected...

When you Expose/Restore FoW, it applies to the "global" layer of FoW. Do you feel this is Working as designed or do your feel selecting NO token equals selecting ALL tokens?

In other words, should the default behavior apply the changes to all the individual tokens (so you don't have to select all tokens) or keep it as is and you have to select any and all tokens you want to manually expose/restore FoW for?
I feel a disconnect here. The notion of "Global FoW" when you use individual FoW does not make a lot of sense to me. What uses global FoW when Individual FoW is selected?

As for whether or not no selections should equal all, yes, I think it should.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

At least for me the semantics don't come accross: what is 'global FoW' and what happens when you clear it when you
1. select all tokens?
2. select no tokens?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

For me, global FOW is exposing areas the tokens can't see. Let's say you're on a city map and you're heading to a building across town. The GM can expose the building giving the general direction of it but it's up to the players to walk the path to get to it.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

ok clear. and the other two questions?

although from the above I now gather that currently if you use the GFoW without any tokens selected then nothing happens. If that's the case then I too am of the opinion that 'none selected' should act as if 'all selected'.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

My Opinion:

If you are a Referee going to the FOW Tool to expose part of the map, even if you have individual FOW selected, you probably want the "expose" to work for all the players.

There is no point exposing FOW that no one can see. Therefore, selecting no tokens, should work on everyone.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:For me, global FOW is exposing areas the tokens can't see. Let's say you're on a city map and you're heading to a building across town. The GM can expose the building giving the general direction of it but it's up to the players to walk the path to get to it.
It still does not make sense.

With Individual FoW either you're exposing it for a particular token (or tokens) or you are exposing it for what? Nothing?

You seem to be using "Global" in your building example to mean "exposing for all". Does MT really have two kinds of Fog when using individual FoW? A global, universally exposed FoW and separate Individual fogs? If so, why?

It seems to me that the moment you go with Individual FoW, each token should just have it's own fog. Having a Global Fog like you have without individual FoW just adds an unnecessary layer of complexity.

And if we're changing it so that no selection means exposure for all it further trivializes the notion of a "global/shared" FoW along side Individual Fog.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Full Bleed wrote: And if we're changing it so that no selection means exposure for all it further trivializes the notion of a "global/shared" FoW along side Individual Fog.
Not really, its all a question about how the user interface works. Do you really want to have to select all the tokens when you expose fog when using individual FOW?

I am not sure why Maptool keeps track of global fog and individual fog, when you are running with individual fog, but it does. Possibly its done for efficiency, not sure who wrote the code.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”