2 Bugs already mentioned but different

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Clyde
Cave Troll

2 Bugs already mentioned but different

Post by Clyde »

Well, I cannot decide whether exactly this has been reported yet,... therefore:

Bug How To:
When you log in as GM,
switch the Viewdistance to "Day",
and then switch to "Player View",
you don't see any tokens (and the likes) any more, just like you where a player without any token on the map (although you had a token marked before you switched to player view, and although you are owner of one of the tokens).

Bug(?) How To2:
Your players reveal fog,
you try to cover it again,
but it does only work if you switch into a specific daytime (probably the one in which the fog was uncovered).

Is this supposed to be like that? This seems quite unhandy, especially when you quickly want to cover an area, and have to go through different daytimes since the Lighting conditions have changed during play several times.

With best regards,
Clyde.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: 2 Bugs already mentioned but different

Post by Full Bleed »

Clyde wrote: Bug How To:
When you log in as GM,
switch the Viewdistance to "Day",
and then switch to "Player View",
you don't see any tokens (and the likes) any more, just like you where a player without any token on the map (although you had a token marked before you switched to player view, and although you are owner of one of the tokens).
By selecting "Day" under Vision the token has to have some vision type. And you need to make sure you have check-boxed the "Visible to Players" check-box in the token's config (since you're looking at the map as a player).

Bug(?) How To2:
Your players reveal fog,
you try to cover it again,
but it does only work if you switch into a specific daytime (probably the one in which the fog was uncovered).
You're going to have to be more specific with what you're trying to do here.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Actually, to re-cover the FOW you have to select all the PC tokens first and then use the tool.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Think it depends on server settings? (ugg another test case)

But with Individual Views/Fow off, I was using the FoW tool ok without selecting tokens. I believe it's because of global FoW at that time...

The other case may be, if Vision is off, it doesn't cover FoW? (another test case). I know there are lots of "no vision then skip" in the FoW code because why to work when you don't have to, but that's usually for exposing FoW.

The more I look at FoW, the more I'm convinced it's broken in lots of places but people have their "work arounds" and just turn on option a or b to get the job done...
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote: The more I look at FoW, the more I'm convinced it's broken in lots of places but people have their "work arounds" and just turn on option a or b to get the job done...
Agreed. I've been playing with different view options in my weekly game and it doesn't seem to behave any differently. And as far as I can tell the FOW tool will not hide personally exposed areas :(

Clyde
Cave Troll

Post by Clyde »

@all:
yea, exactly.

P.s.: Oh !!, when you are looking into this,... in the past, when you had uncovered a more complex map by having players move tokens,... your game became quite slow because of all the calculations which fog is uncovered. If someone looks into that, maybe you can check if that can be improved, maybe by deviding the fog into sections and storing the sections that have been touched as bmp or jpg layers or something, instead of a vector graphic, which has to be calculated again each time a change is done.

@Full Bleed:
Full Bleed wrote:By selecting "Day" under Vision the token has to have some vision type. And you need to make sure you have check-boxed the "Visible to Players" check-box in the token's config (since you're looking at the map as a player).
Well, yes the token is visible to players, it has sight and light,... and still my screen as GM stays blank...

Usually I would expect to be able to select tokens that lie in the dark, like it was with the 91b Fog.
Well, ofc one would not know that players cannot see those tokens, for which i assume this behaviour was changed so that the GM knows that the players really cannot see them (although it would be better to have them grayed out or something, so that the GM knows that only he/she can see them)

Anyhow, i am not using individual view, so by definition, when i have more than one playertoken with sight and light and on the map, they should see each others... and therefore i sould be able to see them, when switching on player view.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

regarding the FoW performance...

I'll take a peek while in the code but no promises. If it's something relatively easy, I'll try but if it's too involved I'll shelve it for now in favor of pursuing other technologies which are on the roadmap that may help.

To that end, if you have a map/campaign that already has a lot of FoW exposed in such a way that is very laggy for you, please share it so I can test with it.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Clyde wrote: @Full Bleed:
Full Bleed wrote:By selecting "Day" under Vision the token has to have some vision type. And you need to make sure you have check-boxed the "Visible to Players" check-box in the token's config (since you're looking at the map as a player).
Well, yes the token is visible to players, it has sight and light,... and still my screen as GM stays blank...
Then I can't reproduce your problem.

Please share the campaign file.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool 1.4”