Another Isometric map question

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
xavram
Dragon

Another Isometric map question

Post by xavram »

So I was trying to use some pre-existing tilesets to do isometric maps.

Here's what it looked like with a standard "squares" map.

That's a single image for the main room, then two of the same images for each hallway going off it.

So now I do an Isometric map, same images. Flip them to isometric and...ugh, what happened?

Even though it Snapped to Grid (like the square one), you can see its not lined up at all correctly. Worse, one of hallways is totally screwed up, no matter how I rotate this.

Another thing. While the Square map lines up like one would except on the grid lines (all the walls are aligned with grid lines), this is NOT the case with the Isometric map. I've got walls inside of the grid lines, outside of them, a real hodgepodge.

So, my question is...is this just a pitfall of the isometric map types? That tilesets that work in a "2d" map simply won't work for them here? Do you have to create tilesets that are specifically for Isometric maps?

Thanks!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Another Isometric map question

Post by Jagged »

Unfortunately you cannot rotate a token or tile that has or is going to be been flipped isometric.

You have to rotate them outside Maptool.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Gotcha, okay that explains why the hallway on the bottom left is so messed up.

But what about the lining up with the grid lines/snapping of the hallway to the right? That was not rotated in any way from the original.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I would expect that to work, but you will need to reposition them since where the token sits is based upon its centre.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

I got it to line up, but had to take "Snap to Grid" off and manually position it.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

That will be due to the weird way the centering works. Which differs between tokens objects.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

xavram wrote:Gotcha, okay that explains why the hallway on the bottom left is so messed up.
I think I now know what is happening in this situation. I believe that the iso flip command does not cope with images that have been resized. Even if only a tiny bit, or put back as was. The resulting image is iso flipped but bound by the original image size.

Short answer: bug for me to fix :cry:

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Hey, better to find them all now, right? ;)

Return to “MapTool 1.4”