Help

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
CixrTyx
Cave Troll

Help

Post by CixrTyx »

Hey guys,
You probably get asked this a thousand times a day but I couldn't seem to find what I'm looking for within the search forums. I'm wondering how much RAM is maptool using? I've opened the launcher and adjusted it to 4096 and 2048 (max and min) but then the launcher doesn't load anything. I've even gone into the mt.cfg and changed the settings there to the same thing. I'm confused because at the bottom of the screen I'm looking at how much memory is being used and it always says something like (changing number) / 247MB total. Does that mean I'm only using 247MB of memory allocated?

I have a couple of things I would like help on first can somebody help me get my launcher working? I've set all my settings on the first tab up properly I've set my RAM settings (I have 32GB of RAM so I thought 4GB/2GB was more then enough to run the program and not hurt windows). I've also setup where maptool.jar is from the button just above Launch MapTool, but when I go to launch it from the launcher it doesn't do anything.

Second I'm using it directly from the maptool.jar file and it loads up and works just fine, I'm just not sure on the memory allocation, I feel like 250MB of memory is WAY too low. I have 10MB maps that are 4Kx5K in dimension and they are not showing up on the map because I think it has something to do with the amount of memory. Any help would be great, I hope I don't get deleted as I know this question gets ask all the time around here, but none of the answers seem to be answering the questions I'm seeking.

Lastly, if I could get tips on how to make angled rooms? For example I have a map that I'm drawing by hand that is a copy of another map and the rooms are on a diagonal and it's driving me nuts that I can only draw boxes (I'm pretty decent at using the tool I can draw very nice detailed maps) I just can't seem to draw an angle, is there something I'm missing? Should I just draw a square then VBL it into an angle? That seems pretty lame but if it's the only way that's fine.

Thanks for all the help and support.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Help

Post by aliasmask »

In order to have a max over 1500 you need to have installed the java 64bit version. This can only be downloaded manually and not using the big red button on their site. I recommend these settings:

max mem: 2048
min mem: 64 (default)
stack: 4

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

As Alias mentioned, you need the Java 64 bit installation.

Uninstall your current java install.
Reboot.
Get and install the Java 64 Offline version: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Run MT with the launcher file using the settings Alias suggested.

You'll be good to go.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

CixrTyx
Cave Troll

Post by CixrTyx »

Awesome the launcher is working! Thanks a ton! Though I still have a question it shows at the bottom of the screen that it is only using 1963MB? Why is it using the minimum setting? Also could I get help on my other questions?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

If your image is not showing up still after the new memory settings you may want to delete the image and drop it in again. If that doesn't work, you may need to clear the assetcache in the .maptool folder.

As for drawing, there are multiple tools. One draws a box and the others draw lines and circles. I find hold the ctrl key to snap to a grid point helps in making nice looking drawings, but you can free hand it as well.

video tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCllsSL ... wbfIG41ILA

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

CixrTyx wrote:Awesome the launcher is working! Thanks a ton! Though I still have a question it shows at the bottom of the screen that it is only using 1963MB? Why is it using the minimum setting?
Not sure what you're asking here. The minimum setting should be set at 64 if you're using the launcher. MT uses as much memory as it needs up to the Max you set (a little less actually).

For example, using the setting that Alias suggested above (2048 Max/64 Min) and then checking my Gather Debug Information setting I'm seeing the following on a blank campaign file:
Max mem avail..: 1,820M
Max mem used...: 194M
In the bottom right-hand corner I'm seeing 60M/194M. When I start needing/using more memory Java will assign more.

Also could I get help on my other questions?
I don't use MT's drawing tools very much. But if you're asking about how to draw angles I'm not sure why you can't accomplish it with the freehand or diamond tools. Show the grid and hold down the CTRL key while drawing freehand to snap-to-grid and you can make 45 degree angles. Looks like the diamond tool (more for iso maps) is making around 30 degree angles.

I created the following angled shapes (using a lava texture) using that method.
Attachments
angle test.jpg
angle test.jpg (75.84 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

CixrTyx
Cave Troll

Post by CixrTyx »

Alrighty, thanks everybody. I'll freehand the angles I guess. I've got my images showing up it was the memory problems. Everything seems to be in order, I need more practice at making angles in maptool. I might just be stuborn and only ever us straight squares and angles, just make sure the dimensions are right is all. Thanks for all the help everybody.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

CixrTyx wrote:I need more practice at making angles in maptool.
To create a right triangle (45 degree angle) the trick is to use the freehand tool, hold the CTRL key, drag from corner to right angle to adjacent corner and let go. Don't drag through the angle itself. That will fill the right triangle and give you the 45 degree side you want.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”