For those who have problems using win 8/9/10.

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Daveslasher
Kobold

For those who have problems using win 8/9/10.

Post by Daveslasher »

Hello all, before anything i apollogize for any misspeling here since english isnt my first language and that my keyboard may be a bit messed up. So i dont know if this type of solution was sugested before or not, but most of those solutions i have seen when i had this problem were about downgradig java to 1.6 or to change the name of the file to the name of a previous maptool version and stuff like it doesnt work on win 8, 9 or 10 and either with lastest java updates. And it just messed up things more and more. Well, before starting, im gona specify some things before:

1. Im using windows 10 (Laptop)
2. 2GB of ram, Radeon Graphics, HD 7340
3. Lastest java version. (No downgrades at all)

So lets say that you downloaded the lastest version of the list in the site (not the beta testing versions). And now you have a rar file and you just extract it in a new forlder or in a folder with the same name as the rar file. Either way, inside it you surelly will find the files of maptool and most probably. 2 of them are rar files, but in fact, they are not supposed to be rar files, but jar files instead. So, be sure that you DIDN'T extract any of those 2 files. Again, they are not actually rar files, so how are we going to solve this issue?. Easy!, just chance the extension of both of those 2 files, by the way, those 2 are probably like this: "launcher-1.4.0.5" and "maptool-1.4.0.5", maybe there isn't a ".rar" extension in their names but it doesnt matter, we just chance the name adding (or erasing in case there is a .rar extension in the name and then adding) a ".jar" extension and hit enter, by now that should solve the problem but maybe for some of you the files still looks as rar files due to their icons, they are now changed to jar but probably the icons didnt change automatically so in order to correct that we just right-clic on them and clic on properties and where it does say something like "Open with", we clic on change and select the "Java (TM) Platform SE b", and accept. Now finally those 2 files were corrected and you just need to open the "maptool-1.4.0.5.jar" file. In case that it doesnt work try this:

Open the launcher file (the other file that we also had changed into jar). It may appear a new error window but dont worry, just hit enter and a the launcher window will appear, so all you need to do is just clic on "maptool-1.4.0.5", it will open another window asking you to search the other jar file that we had previously changed wich will be of course "maptool-1.4.0.5.jar", then we hit enter and then we will clic on the "msg.info.launchMapTool". And all done!, now you can use the program withouth worries at all and start playing with some friends :mrgreen:

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: For those who have problems using win 8/9/10.

Post by Full Bleed »

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

I can appreciate that you're trying to be helpful, but you are providing some misleading information.
Daveslasher wrote:So lets say that you downloaded the lastest version of the list in the site (not the beta testing versions). And now you have a rar file and you just extract it in a new forlder or in a folder with the same name as the rar file. Either way, inside it you surelly will find the files of maptool and most probably. 2 of them are rar files, but in fact, they are not supposed to be rar files, but jar files instead.
This is not true.

Both of those files ("launcher-x-x-x-x" and "maptool-x.x.x.x") are JAR files when extracted. Your problem is:

1) You have your file extensions turned off. This is default in windows. You can turn them on by doing this: http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/06/win ... ws-10.html
2) You accidentally associated JAR files on your computer with whatever extractor you are using.

Because you could not see the extension and because your JAR files were associated with your extraction tool, the files "looked" like RAR files on your computer. But they *never* were.

When you turn on the ability to see extensions you will see that you have renamed your files to "launcher-x-x-x-x.jar.jar" and "maptool-x.x.x.x.jar.jar". You should change them back to their proper names.

A JAR file is a type of archive, so most extraction programs *can* extract them. But this should not be done if it is properly associated with JAVA and not an extraction program.

Again, they are not actually rar files, so how are we going to solve this issue?. Easy!, just chance the extension of both of those 2 files, by the way, those 2 are probably like this: "launcher-1.4.0.5" and "maptool-1.4.0.5", maybe there isn't a ".rar" extension in their names but it doesnt matter, we just chance the name adding (or erasing in case there is a .rar extension in the name and then adding) a ".jar" extension and hit enter
Don't do this. You're just adding an extra extension to a file that already has the proper extension (as noted above).
by now that should solve the problem but maybe for some of you the files still looks as rar files due to their icons, they are now changed to jar but probably the icons didnt change automatically so in order to correct that we just right-clic on them and clic on properties and where it does say something like "Open with", we clic on change and select the "Java (TM) Platform SE b", and accept.
You could do this to associate the original files with Java to begin with. Or you could reinstall Java and it will take back the association that your extraction program took.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Daveslasher
Kobold

Re: For those who have problems using win 8/9/10.

Post by Daveslasher »

Thanks for the info. Ill go check on my winrar to correct that, maybe it may be the cause of some other troubles and i just needed to do that. :mrgreen:

Return to “MapTool 1.4”