How to select map for players on server?

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Ozaga
Kobold

How to select map for players on server?

Post by Ozaga »

New user here. When I host a server campaign as GM, I dont want my players to know what maps are coming up. So far, from what I can tell, the only way for the GM to change the map if by telling the player to hit Select Map and select the correct one.

I may be doing this wrong, as so far I only have hosted over LAN. Is there a way for the GM to select a map then have all players see that map without them going through the Select Map section?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: How to select map for players on server?

Post by aliasmask »

You can use a macro, but the easy way is to set the map player visibility. Turn if off when not in use and on when you want them to go there. You'll find the setting under the Map tab.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Theres a switch map function in the BoT, link in sig, you can use. Alternatively there are teleports as well in which your players can step and then they're automatically transported to that map. Handy for eg dungeons and stairs

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Ozaga wrote:I may be doing this wrong, as so far I only have hosted over LAN. Is there a way for the GM to select a map then have all players see that map without them going through the Select Map section?
Couple things you need to understand:

1) When you set a map to Player Visible (Map>Player Visible) the map will *then* show up in the manual Select Map list. So keep the map "hidden" if you don't want them to be able to go to it.

2) You can also train your players to not use the manual Select Map at all if you want. Even if you don't have a map set to be Player Visible, you can pull them to a "non visible" map by using Tool>Enforce Players to Current Map (or Ctrl-E).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Ozaga
Kobold

Post by Ozaga »

Thank you all very much :D I have used the ways you said and everything works perfectly now! So excited!

Return to “MapTool 1.4”