Maptools Crashing Windows 10

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
TacoPanda43
Kobold

Maptools Crashing Windows 10

Post by TacoPanda43 »

Attempting to run the latest Maptools on Windows 10. I have the latest Java, but whenever I go to launch the program crashes. I was wondering if someone could give a step by step. I'm not the best with software. :(

TacoPanda43
Kobold

Re: Maptools Crashing Windows 10

Post by TacoPanda43 »

I extracted the files from the zip. That's it. Then I grabbed the latest version of Java.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

do you know which windows version you have 32 or 64? and then which java you installed (again 32 or 64, if you did default then its 32). If you know that you can try a dev version: http://maptool.craigs-stuff.net/test-builds/ if you want to play it safe, download the 32 bit version and try that one.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

TacoPanda43 wrote:but whenever I go to launch the program crashes. I was wondering if someone could give a step by step. I'm not the best with software. :(
How are you launching it?

When you say it "crashes", what to you mean?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

TacoPanda43
Kobold

Post by TacoPanda43 »

I just uninstalled java completely and deleted maptools hoping for a fix.

I have Windows 10 64 bit.

When I double click on maptools launcher I would get the screen that allows you to set min and max memory, but when I clicked okay it would give me an error and failure to connect to java.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

TacoPanda43 wrote:When I double click on maptools launcher I would get the screen that allows you to set min and max memory, but when I clicked okay it would give me an error and failure to connect to java.
First, make sure when you install Java you use the Windows offline 64bit install found here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

So, you're getting a "java.ConnectException"?

Are you using any additional firewall or anti-virus programs?

Something is blocking the launcher's access to Java. When you first ran the launcher did you accept the java security exception it asked for?

You can try the developer version that Wolph is suggesting, it has it's own java install... but it has not been heavily tested (i.e. it's a developer version).

You can also try this (note: this assumes you are using version maptool version 1.4.0.5):

1) Open Notepad (Click the windows Start button and just start typing "Notepad").
2) Paste the following text into it (not the word "Code:", just what's in the box below that):

Code: Select all

set STACK=4M
set MAXMEM=1024M
set JAVA=javaw
set VERS=1.4.0.5

start "MapTool" %JAVA% -Xmx%MAXMEM% -Xss%STACK% -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
3) File>Save As
4) Navigate to your Maptool Folder (left panel). Then set the File name as: runmaptool.bat
5) Save. Close Notepad
6) Open your Maptool folder and look for the "runmaptool" file you just created. Double click on it.
7) Accept any security exception it asks for.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

TacoPanda43
Kobold

Post by TacoPanda43 »

Alright I made sure to download java in the link. I went back and extracted the maptools file. Allowed it to run in java then allowed the firewall to access it. Seems to be working now. Thanks for your help. I'll pass this thread to my friend who is also having some issues. :D

TacoPanda43
Kobold

Post by TacoPanda43 »

Question this may sound stupid. Do I need to do anything with MapTools if I'm keeping Java Updated?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

TacoPanda43 wrote:Question this may sound stupid. Do I need to do anything with MapTools if I'm keeping Java Updated?
As long as you're using b91 or later, you should be fine. If you have trouble, remove all versions of java, restart computer, install latest version of java (usually manually with 64bit version).

Return to “MapTool 1.4”