Launcher doesn't launch and stackover flow

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Aetherblade
Kobold

Launcher doesn't launch and stackover flow

Post by Aetherblade »

Hey there!

Decided to start using maptools for a campaign I'm planning to run, but I don't get it functioning correctly on my own.

The launcher starts, so I can set the ram I want to use, but when I then try to start maptools, it just closes and nothing happens. I can use maptool-1.4.0.5.jar to start it directly without issue, I don't know it that matters in some way. But then when I get to work in it, with barely any macros or whatever, it keeps stack overflowing really fast.

My settings are 4096/512/4 on Java 64bit. At least, it should be x64, it's what I installed, but I don't know where I can confirm that.

Help would be much appreciated, especially since I need to get the rest of people convinced it's really nice to use. (I've used it in the past with no issues.)

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Launcher doesn't launch and stackover flow

Post by taustinoc »

If you went to http://www.java.com/ and clicked on the big red "Agree and Start Free Download" button, you got 32 bit Java. This would be consistent with what you describe, because 32 bit Java cannot, ever, under any circumstances, allocate more than about 1.6 GB of memory, and generally it's a bad idea to go over 1.2.

To make certain you have 64 bit Java, first, uninstall all versions of Java, and reboot. Then go to http://www.java.com, go to the download page, and find the link at the bottom that says "Not the right operating system? See all Java downloads." and choose "Windows Offline (64-bit)".

If I not mistaken, you can verify which version of Java you've got with Gather Debug Information under the Help menu. One of the top sections will be Java Information. If it doesn't say 64 bit in there somewhere, it isn't 64 bit.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Aetherblade wrote:Hey there!

Decided to start using maptools for a campaign I'm planning to run, but I don't get it functioning correctly on my own.

The launcher starts, so I can set the ram I want to use, but when I then try to start maptools, it just closes and nothing happens. I can use maptool-1.4.0.5.jar to start it directly without issue, I don't know it that matters in some way. But then when I get to work in it, with barely any macros or whatever, it keeps stack overflowing really fast.

My settings are 4096/512/4 on Java 64bit. At least, it should be x64, it's what I installed, but I don't know where I can confirm that.

Help would be much appreciated, especially since I need to get the rest of people convinced it's really nice to use. (I've used it in the past with no issues.)
Yeah, you're not using the 64bit Java. Uninstall your current Java installation (all of them if you have multiple installs) and go here (as mentioned above):

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Use the 64 Bit Offline installation.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

And note that there is a Gather Debug Info... option on the Help menu in MapTool that will report a bunch of statistics about MT and Java, including version numbers and memory configuration (to confirm that you're using the settings you think you're using).

Last time I used it in 1.4.1, I noticed it took a long time to load and display (maybe 5-6 seconds), and the window that finally opened didn't have a Close button (?!) -- I'll be looking into those issues.

Aetherblade
Kobold

Post by Aetherblade »

Full Bleed wrote:snip.
This is what I did though, but I guess I'll try that again. Guess I screwed something up. In the Gather Debug Info UI it says that it is in mixed mode?

Aetherblade
Kobold

Post by Aetherblade »

Okay, also using their deinstall tool did the trick. I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time, but all's good now. Thanks guys!

Return to “MapTool 1.4”