me and my group have tried playing with the MapTool two times now instead of doing tabletop d&d.
For our last session I did a quick-and-dirty android tool for moving tokens so that every player can move its token using his android mobile phone.
I don't know whether such a tool already exists (or why not) but if someone is interested in it - here it is:https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzjefg138evquqm/MapToolPlus.zip?dl=0
There is a short readme in the zip file. At least for us it has worked quite well
After one session we are quite happy with it but there are some things to be done.
Maybe it will be continued or put on github. Depends on our and your needs
It is not super intuitive, so here is a short user manual:
1. Use maptool-22.214.171.124_modded for the server
2. Install MapToolInput on an android device (E.g. copy via usb to the android mobile device and follow http://www.wikihow.tech/Install-APK-Files-on-Android
to install it)
3. Start server
4. insert IP on in MapToolInput, press CONNCET, enter your username(remeber it)
--> On the server: You should see a message that this username has connected
5. On the server: Strg+E for enforce the current map to the client(s)
--> On the MapToolInput: MapLoaded should be checked now
6. On the server:
a) Create a token with the exact name as the connected user.
b) Create a token with the name "ALL". Every client can move this one if he does not have a token with his exact username.
[Maybe 7. On the MapToolInput: update the GridSize field and press updateGrid according to your maps gridSize]
Controll your token via MapToolInput:
Move: Up, Down, Left, Right
Execute the move
You can change the map by opening it on the server and repeating all steps from 5.
For advanced users:
The android client:
1. has to connect
2. has to receive a enforceZone message
3. has to receive a putToken message with token's name equal his username or 'ALL' (Without ')