MapTool file size issues

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
mjmeans
Kobold

MapTool file size issues

Post by mjmeans »

I am concerned about the maptool file size not shrinking when resources are no longer in use. I removed several maps and removed several folders from the resource library window and resaved. The file shrunk a tiny amount. So I extracted the zipped files from the *.cmpgn file and I found that there still exists in the campaign file several images that are not on any map or in any resource library folder.

How do I figure out why these images are still included in the campaign file?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: MapTool file size issues

Post by Full Bleed »

mjmeans wrote:I am concerned about the maptool file size not shrinking when resources are no longer in use. I removed several maps
This should reduce the files size. How are you "removing" the maps?
and removed several folders from the resource library window
This will do nothing. This doesn't increase the file size. Those resources are not saved in the campaign file. They are just being made "visible" in the Maptool Resource Library.
The file shrunk a tiny amount. So I extracted the zipped files from the *.cmpgn file and I found that there still exists in the campaign file several images that are not on any map or in any resource library folder.

How do I figure out why these images are still included in the campaign file?
Not sure about this. I've not experienced this happening. How are you testing this?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

mjmeans
Kobold

Post by mjmeans »

The map was deleted maps using map menu > delete map. One of the resource libraries I had loaded had about a dozen rather large images in them for sailing ships. I don't remember ever adding any of those ship images to any map before. Oh.... I did originally start with the D&D 3.5 Pathfinder tools campaign file. I also deleted all the D&D 3.5 tables.

I've looked through map explorer for every token and I don't see any of the ship images used anywhere.

I've looked in campaign properties and there was a Token Type called "ship". I deleted the contents of that Token Type, but I don't see any way to delete the entry in the list on the left. (a different issue).

I've looked through every table in Tables and no entry has any ship picture.

The xml file is over 100 mb. Is there some kind of database explorer that can tell me how each image is linked?

One of the ship images is named: 8d2d50c4cac46a1b3d78a0b37084f91f.png. It still exists in the *.cmpgn file.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Did you check every token's handout as well? States? There isn't an explorer but you can do a text search in the xml but not sure it's going to help you much.

Is there a specific reason why you are concerned with the campaign size? My campaign file is usually around 200-300mb for Pathfinder.

FYI, duing game, MT is only going to transfer assets to player clients as needed. And they are cached on the players side.
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

If you are worried about campaign size I can only imagine you are concerned about download times for your players.

If you are it might be worth trying to extract the images from your campaign into a repository and hosting it on the web somewhere.

See this thread for instructions.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Also note, for any tokens which are on the board, if you use individual vision and FOW, you might want to clear out(right click->Vision->clear Exposed Area or something like that) prior to deleting the token. I don't remember for sure, but I think that tokens retain their exposed FOW area because we would have no idea if you would go back to an old map(which may or may not exist now) or not, so we can't just clear it for you(at least that's my memory when I wrote the individual token vision stuff years ago).

However, and Jamz said, why are you worrying about a fairly smallish file size difference?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Elyre_Elan
Kobold

Post by Elyre_Elan »

jfrazierjr wrote:Also note, for any tokens which are on the board, if you use individual vision and FOW, you might want to clear out(right click->Vision->clear Exposed Area or something like that) prior to deleting the token. I don't remember for sure, but I think that tokens retain their exposed FOW area because we would have no idea if you would go back to an old map(which may or may not exist now) or not, so we can't just clear it for you(at least that's my memory when I wrote the individual token vision stuff years ago).
Hmmm- I've just been playing around with FoW and VBL for a combat experiment with my players. Typically I try to keep my maps to a minimum and delete those that I don't believe I will need again. Right now I move player tokens to new maps by "cutting and pasting". If I understand your post, I should first clear out the FoW settings on the tokens prior to doing so? Also, do I need to do that prior to deleting the NPCs/Monsters/etc.? I apologize if I am asking dumb questions, but I do try to keep my fledgling campaign framework clean. :)

Return to “MapTool 1.4”