Auto-(re)connect to LAN server on launch

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
CraziFuzzy
Kobold

Auto-(re)connect to LAN server on launch

Post by CraziFuzzy »

I am very new to maptool. My GM uses it, and we have lately been running a client for our tabletop (tv laying flat) from a laptop. I have a Raspberry Pi that I've gotten maptool (1.4.0.5) to run on quite well, and want to use it for driving the display, but I'd like it to operate like an appliance. What I need, however, is a way for it to, when launched, connect to the given server with a specific player name, and go to full screen. The GM manages things via CTRL-E/F, so we don't need keyboard/mouse on the client except for the above listed actions.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Auto-(re)connect to LAN server on launch

Post by jfrazierjr »

CraziFuzzy wrote:I am very new to maptool. My GM uses it, and we have lately been running a client for our tabletop (tv laying flat) from a laptop. I have a Raspberry Pi that I've gotten maptool (1.4.0.5) to run on quite well, and want to use it for driving the display, but I'd like it to operate like an appliance. What I need, however, is a way for it to, when launched, connect to the given server with a specific player name, and go to full screen. The GM manages things via CTRL-E/F, so we don't need keyboard/mouse on the client except for the above listed actions.
First, I have no idea how RPi works. I started working on passing the arguments for server, port, username, etc as part of the start up as an option several years ago. I got it working at the most basic level, but I never got around to cleaning up the code and getting it submitted for check in. I then had to step away from gaming for 3-4 years, so i have no idea if anyone else picked up the task, but I rather doubt it. Basically, it's something that people who code AND need some such functionality tend to work on(that was my point at the time I was doing it). ie, code what you want to get working so to speak. now, it's possible Jamz or someone else has done such, but I would rather doubt it at this point.

Since I am sure not many people actually have RPi AND also code maptool code, perhaps you could provide some details. Can I assume that when you power the RPi device on, it can run some type of start up script? And that script would have as part(or all of it) to start Maptool? Does Maptool start up in that way NOW and then just sit at the empty map screen with it's default local server started?

The easy part is passing the variables. Reading those in from the command line that starts maptool via java's system properties is extremely easy. The hard(not really that hard, but more work), is plugging that into the "connect" rather than it's normal route of starting a local server. It just takes some work wiring up all the parts and as I mentioned, coders tend to do things that will help them, especially for open source projects like this one.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “MapTool 1.4”