Can't get Maptool to start

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
jfmays
Kobold

Can't get Maptool to start

Post by jfmays »

Unzipped all of the RPTools tools into subdirectories on two different windows 10 machines running Java 8. Same behavior on each. Dicetool runs fine. Maptool, I start the launcher, get the window that lets me use the maptool button to select the maptool executable I want, but the "Launch Maptool" button does nothing. I click it; nothing happens.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Can't get Maptool to start

Post by aliasmask »

I may be pointing to the wrong java file. You can avoid this if you download the dev version which includes it's own version of java for the program. You can find the link to it under the announcements. Otherwise, you have to browse to the current version of java on your system, not the shortcut link (.lnk) file. It'll be under program files\java\java_8xxxx\bin\javaw.exe the actual folder name depends on your version.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

What you describe is typical of having 64 bit Windows, but 32 bit Java (which is what you get if you go to java.com and click on the big red button), and setting the max memory over about 1200 MB (or less, depending on what else is running on your computer at the time).

If your max memory setting is higher than that, you can test it by putting in, say, 1024, and see if it launches. If so, uninstall Java, reboot, and go to https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and download the "Windows Offline (64-bit)" installer.

jfmays
Kobold

Post by jfmays »

I was already running the Windows 64 offline version of Java 8, and had kept the max memory at the default of 512MB. I tried browsing to the javaw.exe file indicated, but didn't find it in the bin directory.

I downloaded the dev version and it runs fine, so I guess my problem is solved. Thanks for the help. It would still be nice to know what was going on at some point.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If you go to the Advanced tab on the launcher, there's a checkbox for "Launch with console." That will launch the MapTool .jar with the black command prompt box, in which you can see any error messages (which are normally not visible because the command prompt box is usually kept invisible).

Return to “MapTool 1.4”