When I place token on map, I get a popup asking for value.

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Dracwrym
Cave Troll

When I place token on map, I get a popup asking for value.

Post by Dracwrym »

Hi,

This is only happening to one particular folder of tokens, not all of them. When I place the token, I get a popup asking for "Value For Token.Lable". Even if I enter a value, the next time I click on it, the popup appears again.

How can I fix this?

Cheers
Attachments
Screenshot_20170704_123827.png
Screenshot_20170704_123827.png (210.21 KiB) Viewed 832 times

paulstrait
Dragon

Re: When I place token on map, I get a popup asking for valu

Post by paulstrait »

Are you using some property that asks for that field? Have you tried setting a label for the token and then resaving it? If all else fails, you could open the .rptok file with an unzipping program and pull out the png image file, and just use that, if this isn't standard behavior that happens whenever any image is put on the map.

Dracwrym
Cave Troll

Post by Dracwrym »

paulstrait wrote:Are you using some property that asks for that field? Have you tried setting a label for the token and then resaving it? If all else fails, you could open the .rptok file with an unzipping program and pull out the png image file, and just use that, if this isn't standard behavior that happens whenever any image is put on the map.
It's straight PNG files, not rptok. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. The odd thing is that I use a lot of PNG tokens in other folders. It's only the PNGs in the Labels directory that are doing this popup message. If I place one, then click on it again to select it, I get the popup again box again. It does it each time the token is selected and no matter what layer I put it on. I have restarted MapTools as well. This happens all all PNGs in the Labels folder, not just 0.

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

So if the same png files are in a different folder, there isn't a problem when they are brought into maptool? Also, does it make a difference which layer it goes on?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

That's an odd one. Try renaming the folder to something other than labels. Also, which version of MT are you using? Could be a reserved word problem. If renaming the folder works then this is definitely a bug that needs to be addressed. I may test as well to see if I get the same error from a label(s) folder.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I couldn't duplicate error with version 1.4.1.7.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:I couldn't duplicate error with version 1.4.1.7.
Can't do it with 1.4.0.2 either.

Should share the campaign file.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

For a test, create a new campaign with nothing in it and drop the token and see if you get the error.

Dracwrym
Cave Troll

Post by Dracwrym »

After more investigating, I found that if one of the tokens is already on the map, I can add another with no issues. Neither of them will display that popup anymore.

A new campaign worked fine, but the one I was adding too had Bag of Tricks installed and this is where it wasn't working.

Also, I think the issue was that the token names began with a number. 000.png, 001.png, so on. I renamed all of them to have an N out in front and that seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Pretty sure that's going to be a "Campaign" issue and not "MapTool" issue. There is probably a macro firing onMove or onMouseOver or something?

Furthermore, it's probably taking the variable name, converting it to a "number" (so 001 becomes 1) and now can't find it. You've discovered the workaround/fix but just offering background info.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

tokens with numeric names are a great bug pit for all kind of macros, especially if these numbers start with leading zero's: eg. 0001. You can indeed omit these issues by changing them into a non numeric name as you did like n0001.
Note that the BoT has a 'diagnose' macro that checks your entire campaign for this (and much more).

Return to “MapTool 1.4”