Strange Maptools Behavior (Described inside)

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Strange Maptools Behavior (Described inside)

Post by Full Bleed »

Xaelvaen wrote:So if there does become a fix at some point, a guideline of how I could mimic that fix would be greatly appreciated.
1) Go to you maptool folder and rename your "maptool-x.x.x.x.jar" file to "maptool-x.x.x.x.jar.orig"
2) Make a copy the file.
3) Rename the copied file to "maptool-x.x.x.x.zip"
4) Create a temporary directory and put your copy into it. Unzip the file. It will produce two subdirectories: META-INF and net
5) Drill down to net>rptools>maptool>client>image
6) Delete the "grayLabelbox.png" file.
7) Put the "grayLabelbox.png" file I posted above into the same directory.
8 ) Go back to the META-INF and net subfolder directory level. And create a zip file with those two directories in it.
9) Rename the new zip file to "maptool-x.x.x.x.jar" (using the correct version number for the x's) and put it back into your original maptool launch folder.
10) Load as normal.

If you have trouble following these directions you could just tell me what version of MT you're using and I could swap it in for you and post the jar.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Full Bleed wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote:I posted the code and I'm not seeing anything different other than the background image. Only difference is the order in which things are rendered and you have the tokens rendering over the map zone (between Init panel and tokens).
Must be something up with the png...

I made a similar image that fixes the problem. Maybe you can swap it into the next build. I didn't rename it so it would be an easy swap.
Wow, so it was just the image then eh? Thanks for testing that out. It must of just been something funky in how <insert what ever program was used to create it> saved it so many years ago.
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Also, FYI: I've updated my repo with the image so my future forks will include it.

I'll also work to get it into the next official dev build.
-Jamz

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

You guys are seriously brilliant - there's a reason I can't stand the 'fully built' VTT clients out there. I've tried them all, but my macros and campaign frameworks just make maptools too legendary by comparison. If not for the community, it'd be an empty shell. I'm guessing you don't get the thank yous nearly as often as you deserve, so thank you.

I'll give it a try on my own on my next night off, if I have trouble, I'll definitely let you know Full Bleed.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If Linux had a support community like MapTool, Microsoft would have been out of business long ago. :D

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:Also, FYI: I've updated my repo with the image so my future forks will include it.

Cool.

Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting.

Any chance we're going to get an official build pushed anytime soon? At the rate things are going Nerps might become the official build. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Full Bleed wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote:Also, FYI: I've updated my repo with the image so my future forks will include it.

Cool.

Any chance we're going to get an official build pushed anytime soon? At the rate things are going Nerps might become the official build. ;)
well...as usual it is soon(tm). Azh had created a new build, it however also requires an update of the mt website as the current versions '4' are put on craigs personal server (which was temporary).

edit: i just checked the mt site and noticed that the 4 versions are already there (funny that i never checked before). I've asked azh what this is about...

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Full Bleed wrote:

Cool.

No problem, thanks for testing that out! Proof that you don't have to be a "java coder" to be a contributor!

FYI: I've asked Azhrei to sneak that png into the next dev build (honestly, he IS actively working on it!)
-Jamz

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Followed your directions, Full Bleed, and it seems to be working. Haven't gotten a long session in to test it, but seems like it works. Updated the launcher to the new file (and kept the original just in case). Thank you again =)
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

After extensive testing, your fix was phenomenal - however, I've discovered several more examples. In some of my old campaign files, I used font formatting in button names. Well, the same dithering / artifacts happens with formatting the font on button names. In example, for the Character Sheet open macro button, I use Comic Sans MS in bold, and you can barely read it. I've since taken all the font formatting out of my buttons, but just thought any developers would be interested in this fact.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Strange indeed. Did you try and change the background color of those buttons at all? I suspect a color shift nudge just one way or the other in the RGB may fix it for you?
-Jamz

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Yeah - before deleting, I poked around with it by changing the background colors. Most of the vibrant ones (pink, orange, bright reds, etc) cause the dithering, and subtle backgrounds fixed it (like certain greys, though the standard 'light grey' still caused it). However, it does -not- occur with the default font - only when selecting different fonts.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Out of curiosity, have you played with your color/display settings? I assume Windows (but 7, 8, 10?) Do you have font scaling on? Clear font? odd color bit setting or refresh rate? Are you using the manifest files to change the scaling?

Obviously Windows is having issue dithering some fonts over certain colors...
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:Obviously Windows is having issue dithering some fonts over certain colors...
More likely a Java issue... or we'd probably have seen it in other apps.

Also, the font type didn't seem to matter in my testing.

I was leaning toward it having something to do with dithering over certain transparency levels...

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Yes, I guess I meant Windows + Java. And dithering over alpha transparencies could be part of it.
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool 1.4”