Is this possible? Long shot...

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
xavram
Dragon

Is this possible? Long shot...

Post by xavram »

So, take a look at the image. The tree and "deck" around it are a single image.

So the tree/deck is a Figure image, so if my token moves behind it, it disappears. That's all well and good.

But if the token is "on" the wooden deck part around the tree, I want the token to be "in front" of the image, like the are walking on the deck around the tree.

Wracking my brains on how to accomplish this...multiple images maybe? With the lower trunk and upper trunk being figure tokens but then the deck part being just a token in the background (so figure would be on top of it)? Or is there a better way to accomplish this that I'm just not thinking of?

Anyway...I have this vision of platoforms in the trees, with bridges connecting them and the players fighting through them...would be fun, be getting tripped up by technical issues here!

xavram
Dragon

Re: Is this possible? Long shot...

Post by xavram »

Ignore my ramblings, I think I figured it out. Two textures, with specific cut outs, seemed to do the trick...ah, the crazy stuff you can do in Maptool!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can also change the z-order of a token to be in front or behind. I do this in my campaign where I make larger tokens always be behind smaller ones and if a token stacks but only partially covers another token is goes from left to right, up to down order. Flying tokens appear on top as well. It would be nice to "offset" token images via a macro (not the token footprint, but the image on the footprint) but that can only be done manually in the token config.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

another solution is making use of the BoT. It has the functionality to denote tokens as a 'bridge type' or 'tunnel' type. Effectively it means that depending on HOW you walk over them they dissapear (if you walk under the bridge) or they remain (if you walk over the bridge).

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Heh, I really do need to download the Bag of Tricks...I have long resisted purely on the basis of "I want to figure out stuff on my own" but more and more, it sounds like there are graphical tricks that I just need to make use of.

However, I am kind of happy with how this came out...but you're right, if they walk "under" the bridge, the will appear to go "through" it...that's something the BoT will handle?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

what the bot does is let the entire bridge disappear when you walk 'under' it and leave it intact when you walk 'over' it. Vice versa for tunnels.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

How does the bot handle the isometric maps? or is that not relevant?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

it should not matter, but I've never worked with isometric. The part of the bot we're talking about conerns 'eventPads' and these are activated when a token moves onto it (that means over its 'bounderies', that is the outside square you see when you select it).

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

I watched your video tutorial on bridges, not entirely sure it would work for this scenario, given that the platforms are round and not square. Could change that, obviously, I need to fiddle with it some more.

Silly question though...if one player is one the bridge and another goes underneath it, what happens? Whoever is last determined how its displayed?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Erm... Then the gods come down and smite you!!

Thb: no clue, but you can download the bot campaign file and test it

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

xavram wrote:Ignore my ramblings, I think I figured it out. Two textures, with specific cut outs, seemed to do the trick...ah, the crazy stuff you can do in Maptool!
Amen brother!

Glad you sorted it out.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”