[1.4.1.7] Macro Hot Key Issues

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Xaelvaen
Dragon

[1.4.1.7] Macro Hot Key Issues

Post by Xaelvaen »

I did a search of the forums to see if this was brought up before, but my search-foo is often lacking - thus, sorry if I missed the topic already being discussed.
  1. When logged in as a GM, then an undocked, floating campaign macro menu will allow hot keys to be used for macros.
  2. When logged in as a player, an undocked, floating campaign macro menu does -not- allow hot keys to be used for macros.
  3. When docked, the campaign macro menu hot keys don't function at all when the menu is 'tabbed' (where it's hidden and you can't see it til you click on the tab).
I was curious if there was a fix for this, or a different fork or updated version that fixed these hot key issues - I always leave my campaign menu undocked and floating (cause I only use about 6 campaign macros, so it saves real-estate to not be docked). I use hotkeys for macros rather exclusively - just my preference, the biggest reason I don't use roll20, in fact, is the hotkeys of maptools. So while it isn't a -huge- issue, just trying to find a fix.

Thanks in advance =)
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: [1.4.1.7] Macro Hot Key Issues

Post by aliasmask »

You can try and pin the frames. It autohides until you mouse over and should allow for hot keys to work. Hidden tabbed frames are not accessible. Not sure if #2 is desired behavior, but I'm guessing it is not.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

My #3 is referring to auto-hide / pinning. Basically, if the macros are not visible, the hotkeys don't work, on either GM or player, and on player, if the campaign window is floating, they don't work either.
EDIT Realized I may not use the best phrasing or words to describe what I mean, so I'll try to clarify. When you click to pin, and it does the auto-hide, while hidden in this way, the hot keys aren't working. However, they do work when I click on the tab to 'show' the macros. It's only when they aren't visible to the site of the user.

However, I've found an interesting fact:

If I manually click on a macro for a given token, then until I choose a different token, the hotkeys work. As soon as I choose a different token though, they don't work until I manually click a macro. This was tested with a floating menu on a 'player' client.

I've tried it on simple macros such as [h: broadcast("Testing the Hotkey")] just to make sure it wasn't the macro coding itself somehow interfering.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I just test the hot key thing with campaign window pinned and hidden and it works for me. I also started a server and undocked as a player it works as well. What doesn't work is if you go to full screen mode because all frames are hidden. If that's not your issue then maybe reinstall MT?

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

I didn't install it at all - I just used the 1.4.1.7 launcher. Should I be using a different version with an install or something?

EDIT I just did an install of 1.4.1.8, using the jwrapper installer. I'm still getting the exact same issue; hot keys don't work when I can't physically see the macros.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Windows 10 (factory). My other PC runs Windows 10 (upgraded from 7) with the same results.

EDIT

I've narrowed down a bunch of issues. After installing 1.4.1.8, when running it from my start menu, the floating (undocked) campaign menu won't run macros by hot key at all, even from a GM client. (as listed above, it did run from floating on GM, just not on player).

It still will not run while hidden.

However, the new information is really weird. If I have -any- frame highlighted as active, the hot keys work. Chat Bar, the Campaign Menu - literally any frame that is default to maptools. My custom frames do -not- trigger this behavior. So basically, if the bar at the top of the frame is blue (active), the hot keys work, no matter which bar is active, as long as one of them is. It's just when I have only recently clicked on a token, so no frame is active, that the hot keys don't work now.

I'm guessing it is a Windows 10 issue? At least the floating frame hot keys worked for a GM client for me previously, before the full install version. Now that I have to open it from my start menu, it's behaving 'worse' somehow.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm not sure what the issue is, but it seems specific to your system. I can have them active, inactive, floating or pinned and have them work. I'm using version 1.4.1.7 and Windows 10.

Are you using a regular hot key like F5 or do you use a meta + functionkey hotkey?

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

I took a few of the 'standard' steps to try and fix it. I uninstalled 1.4.1.8 and Java 8, then restarted my PC. I reinstalled 1.4.1.8 (since it has it's own built-in Java) then restarted. I tried again, with the same results as above.

Just F2 - F9.

EDIT

Uninstalled 1.4.1.8 again. Removed the .mapptools folder and all my config files. Restarted the PC. Reinstalled 1.4.1.8, with the same results. If it's specifically my system, I wouldn't even know where to look after getting rid of all traces of java and maptools.

Update

So I tried to go back to what I had before; uninstalled everything, got Java 8, used the 1.4.1.7 launcher again. And now... even the old version won't run macros from a floating frame. So then I found the button under 'window' called 'reset' which of course brings all the starting frames back to the front.

As long as -any- of the original frames remained docked, my hotkeys worked, even when I couldn't -see- the campaign menu. Perhaps no one can recreate this issue, because I don't leave -any- of my frames dock on maptools. I use it with a projector, so I don't like any frames showing that aren't necessary. When I removed all the 'default' frames so that nothing shows on the maptools except the tactical map, the hot keys stop working again.

If you want to help me confirm this, someone else could make sure no default windows are docked or in use when trying to run a hot key macro without being able to see it.

[Recap] I don't have any of the 'starting' frames docked on my maptools. If I leave, let's say, the initiative window docked and -not- hidden (auto-hide), my hot keys work even when the campaign menu is hidden (auto-hide). However, if I put initiative window -and- campaign on auto-hide, and both are hidden, no hot keys work.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Confirmed. If I have no frames docked, then the hotkeys don't work even if just pinned.

For my in person games I run a dual monitor set up and 2 instances of MT. The projector or tv is purely for display and I lock in the view to the GM instance which can easily be toggled on and off. Of course, having a video card with 2 outputs is key but you can also do it with a desktop and laptop computer with the appropriate outputs.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Should I make a post in the [Bugs] section with this being confirmed?

And I've recently started doing that as well, with my older PC running the 'client' instance of the maptools. The only reason this even came to my attention is because I had a player try to help out a -really- big mass combat we were doing, by running some of the damage calculation macros for me. I gave him the hotkey to press, and nothing happened - went through all the settings to make sure players had the campaign macros and everything, and just left me entirely clueless why it was doing that - I'm just happy at least to know it wasn't some deep, internal system error on my end - thank you very much, Alias - as always, proving why MT is the -only- VTT I'll ever need.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Thank you both for the assistance - and I will do that when I've got free time later, Wolph.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

I honestly couldn't say. I was using b... something for well on two years or so, and only recently came back to maptools to see all the cool updates (like vbl generation on objects!). So I went from, I believe, b89, straight to 1.4.1.7. However, I'm pretty sure this bug has existed for a while, because I recall having to be able to 'see' campaign macros back then as well.

Update

Apparently, using b89 with Java 8 fixed any signs of that bug. I just loaded maptools without any configurations, and with no frames on the screen whatsoever (not even docked, just all closed), hot keys worked for campaign macros the entire time.

Similarly, I downloaded 1.4.0.5, using the launcher, the bug -does- exist.

Testing 1.4.0.5 without the launcher, and the bug still exists. (I had never tested the bug without using a launcher before b89, so thought I'd give it a try just in case).

Return to “MapTool 1.4”