[1.4.1.7] Invalid Image, resetting fog of war

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Xaelvaen
Dragon

[1.4.1.7] Invalid Image, resetting fog of war

Post by Xaelvaen »

This post is two separate issues. (I can make two separate posts if necessary, just let me know).

1) Invalid Image Sometimes, my players will get an error message when I enforce them to a new map. It'll show the loading screen (78/81 in example), and then an error will pop up 3 times, saying it's an invalid image. The loading bar then hangs there and the map will not load. The images work fine on my GM server - they are always .png or .jpg, never using gifs or anything of the sort. I can also generate this behavior when I drop a new image onto a map they are connected to. They get the error, and they just see a question mark on their screen - the image never actually loads. Not sure at all what is causing this.

Both computers run Java 8 (64 bit), 1.4.1.7 Maptools. Both machines are windows 10 with 8+ gigs of RAM, and 2gig+ video cards (if that means anything at all). Each is set to 2048, 64, stack 4. My GM client never receives this message, it's only when sending it to the player client.

I have no clue what's causing this, and I'm sure it's something on my end, I just have no idea what it could be on my end, thus I'm asking the community to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

2) Fog of War not saving When my players have explored a massive dungeon and we're done for the session, I save my campaign, then have everyone disconnect and that's that. I don't work on my dungeon at any point in the interim, and certainly never 'reset fog of war' but, when I load the campaign up again, sure enough, all the fog of war is reset and only the rooms they're current in are 'exposed' with all their progress lost. I tried checking settings to see if there was some setting to make it do this, but I could find nothing.

So, how do I keep Fog of War from resetting? (Again, 1.4.1.7, two machines on Windows 10).
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: [1.4.1.7] Invalid Image, resetting fog of war

Post by aliasmask »

1) This happens. The image is not being cached on their machine for some reason. You can avoid this by creating an image repository for your campaign and uploading it to the web. You put the url under the repositories tab under campaign properties.

He can also go to his assetcache folder under .maptool and delete some files. It's likely the image had a partial download but didn't finish and needs to be cleared. There's usually a lot of files in there and windows has an issue with deleting a large number of files at once. For example my folder has 36k files dating back to 2012, the last time I cleaned up. I would just delete them in smaller groups. I would sort by date and delete the most recent first until the problem clears up. He'll have to restart MT.

2) I think this is only a problem with individual views. If that is turned off then all the shared FOW is saved in the campaign and reloads when starting. But I haven't done this for a long while so I may be wrong about it reloading.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

As far as repositories go, what is that, exactly? Do I just make a folder with all the images in it? Can I extract it from the campaign? I'm clueless (as with moth things 'Computer'), so I'll try to get on that when I figure out what it is hehe.

Before playing tonight, I'll delete the files in assetcache and just let it repopulate. I just use the second computer for the projection (player client), but I've been using it for a few years, so I'm guessing that's the problem. I'll give it a try.

I'll also try turning off IFoW.

Thanks as always, Alias =)
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

For #1 The last time it happened for me it was a bad asset like AM said. Try clearing the asset dir and reload the campaign. this will recreate all the assets. The same can be done on the client machines if you want.

The easy way to do this is double click on the asset cache status bar at the bottom of the ui, its the one that looks like a safe. You can hover over those as well to tell you what each means...

I will look into #2 and see if this is a new bug. IIRC, when you start a server every token gets a token ID. If you use Individual fog, it is tracked internally by this id. So yes, it would loose the saved fow. I need to see if this is intended behaviour or not...
-Jamz

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Cleared the asset cache and everything seemed to work like a boss. I did it manually cause those buttons at the bottom right caused all my images to turn to xs once when I was running MT, so I avoid those at all costs. I'm sure there's a 'smart' way to do it, but I just went to the folder to make sure I made no mistakes.

As far as the IFoW, I didn't get a chance to test the resetting vision blocker - my players finished the massive dungeon they were in last night with record-breaking puzzle solving - figures, right? I'll take your guys' word for it though - never really need IFoW since we use projector-top anyway, just a carryover setting from when I actually played online and never thought to turn it off.

Thanks as well for looking into it Jamz.

- Also, found the link to how to create a repository. It's a pretty old post from Trevor, but I'm assuming it's still relevant, so I'll give that a try, too.

jackolas
Cave Troll

Post by jackolas »

I'm very interested in point 2.

Atm with my group we have a problem with the iFOW resetting every game.
I remember in the past when we used version maptool-1.3.b89 that we did not have this problem.

Wonder if this is now intended or an error.

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

Is there any fix yet for the FoW reset? Should I try turning off individual FoW or Individual Views when starting a server?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

jackolas wrote:I'm very interested in point 2.

Atm with my group we have a problem with the iFOW resetting every game.
I remember in the past when we used version maptool-1.3.b89 that we did not have this problem.

Wonder if this is now intended or an error.
If that's the the case please test can give me the results. I'll eventually get to it but the more "testing" the community does the more time I have for "coding".

It especially helps if you find the exact version it stopped working. eg if it worked one way in b89, then differently in b90 then it greatly narrows down the code changes I need to look at.

Also, if you also use/test my fork and it's not working, you'll get more of my attention if you create an "issue" for me to track. https://github.com/JamzTheMan/maptool/issues
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool 1.4”