Figure token rending order

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Figure token rending order

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote:@Jagged, it sounds like we need the "footprint" to be isometric really.

Was that a can of worms? How many story points would you give it? :-)
I think the footprint is as far as we can go without actually programming in 3D information of all the objects.

The Z-Order of Figure tokens is based on where their diamond base "should" be, plus when you have multiple tokens at the same latitude, the largest is sent to the back.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Well, that was the problem in my original texture for the wall; if I used a Large token (for a higher wall image), then a medium token got clipped when standing in the same square as the wall (even though the wall "image" was at the back of the square).

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Looking at the image you posted of your wall token, I think the problem is that you had positioned your wall on the far left of the token, but the visibility is being calculated on the area I have coloured in purple.
Wall_Image.png
Wall_Image.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 376 times
The visibility code cannot deduce anything about the image of the token, and just treats it like one block, standing on the purple area.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Yep, I get that and I know that doors line up "down the middle" so that they can be seen from either side. But that's not what I was trying to achieve here.

By putting it on the outside edge, you know have a wall that is only visible from the "inside" of the room or building. Here's a better screenshot to illustrate what it achieves.

From the inside of the tavern, the player token only sees the walls to the North East and North West, which is what you'd want in an isometric game.

When the token steps outside, now he can only see the walls on the south side of the building.

Its working like I want, I just wish I could use a bigger token than "Medium" for the effect. One, I have to use a lot of them for these walls and Two, the wall doesn't extend up quite as high as I'd like, for the visual effect. But if I try changing them to Large tokens, then you get the clipping that I showed earlier in this post.

Its still usable though. I was just making sure I wasn't doing something fundamentally wrong with isometrics. And yes, I know they're still in an early stage in Maptool, but they intrigue me...:)

Return to “MapTool 1.4”