Lock the background images in place??

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
brian_klass
Kobold

Lock the background images in place??

Post by brian_klass »

Please tell me there is a way to lock the background images so they don't move around. Usually once a session I move the background map, which by proxy, messes up my vision blocking. Or even just while setting up the maps I will place a door, it jumps to the background map, I try to move what I think I've clicked on, and it screws up everything I've done. Playing a virtual tabletop style.

Thanks in advance,
Brian Klass

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Lock the background images in place??

Post by wolph42 »

It does not happen often that I say this, but: no not possible... at least AFAIK!.

it would be if onTokenMove would work for background as well, but it does not, so no.
and yes I agree that it is annoying.

However, as usually when I say 'no' things start to pop-up in mind on how you *could* make it possible. Two option pop-up in mind:
1. simply create two macros (on the campaign panel): 'lock' and 'put it back'. In lock you store the current coords of the image (including width and height) ON the token itself and 'put it back' you simply read them out and apply them.
2. bit more fancy: use onMouseOver event for the 'put it back' though...im not sure OMO works for tokens on the BG. Anyway this can work really smooth, but could potentially be really annoying, so option 1 is probly best.

edit: stuff you need:
Wiki: getTokenX()
Wiki: getTokenY()
Wiki: getTokenHeight()
Wiki: getTokenWidth()

Wiki: moveToken()
Wiki: setTokenHeight()
Wiki: setTokenWidth()

brian_klass
Kobold

Post by brian_klass »

I have through my own devices (basically right after I posted this) discovered if I select map on the new map window and make my background image/map as the map image it can't be moved. This information would have saved me at least an hours worth of extra rework.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

brian_klass wrote:Usually once a session I move the background map, which by proxy, messes up my vision blocking.
I'm sitting here wondering why this happens to you when it *never* happens to me and then I realized that I almost never use the background layer for my background map.

If you import your background map when using Map>New Map and then select the Map button and import the map image that way the background image is not accessible from the Background Layer. So it's basically "locked".
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool 1.4”