Bizzare connection bug | Windows 10 64-bit | v1.4.1.8

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
plof27
Kobold

Bizzare connection bug | Windows 10 64-bit | v1.4.1.8

Post by plof27 »

So, whenever I try to use maptool, everything runs fine for a while. But after a seemingly random amount of time (usually between 10 and 60 minutes), I am disconnected from the server with the message "Server has disconnected." Any attempts to reconnect fail on timeout. Attempts to connect to other servers fail on timeout. Restarting the computer allows connection again, but the issue still persists. Log files are attached.
Attachments
GenericUpdater-2017-10-29-16-30-02-743-pid0.log
This one has a stack trace at the end
(6.8 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Wrapper-2017-10-29-17-26-52-767.log
(6.56 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
MapTool-MapTool-2017-10-29-17-26-55-610-pid0.log
(4.84 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
GenericUpdater-2017-10-29-17-26-52-976-pid0.log
(18.39 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Bizzare connection bug | Windows 10 64-bit | v1.4.1.8

Post by aliasmask »

I would note the time of disconnect and your ip address. It could be on the hour by the hour. I used to have a router that would disconnect me from WOW like that. There was actually a setting on the router that only had the lease time set to 1 hour, and then my connection would reset. I'm guessing you're behind a school's firewall, so it could be them and not you. There are programs that allow you to connect to other over port 80 (I forget the name of the one used most common), but it can be a pain because everyone would have to run it and configure it. You could try using port 80 for MT and see if that helps.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Agreed. I don’t think this is a MapTool issue, but something in the network stack, such as DHCP lease times, or Windows network driver issues, and so on.

Since rebooting solves the problem, I don’t think it’s an application issue.

I will warn you: this will be difficult to nail down; networking problems always are. You can try Google’ing for your device driver name and “random disconnect” and see what you get. You can try the same search with your router model instead of device driver name. If those don’t turn anything up, you can try posting your specifics here and see if anyone with similar equipment has had this issue and how they solved it.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

plof27 wrote:So, whenever I try to use maptool, everything runs fine for a while. But after a seemingly random amount of time (usually between 10 and 60 minutes), I am disconnected from the server with the message "Server has disconnected." Any attempts to reconnect fail on timeout. Attempts to connect to other servers fail on timeout. Restarting the computer allows connection again, but the issue still persists. Log files are attached.
What Network Adapter are you using?

What are your receive and transmit buffers set to?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool 1.4”