Blinded vision and movement

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
xavram
Dragon

Blinded vision and movement

Post by xavram »

I have a state, "Blinded" that when its set slaps a vision on the token so that they can just see their token (makes sense). However, we have found that when you're blind, you can't move, because you're always moving into a "blocked" area (by fog/vision), so Maptool won't let you move and the DM ends up having to move your token for you.

This is with a server running individual fog for tokens.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Blinded vision and movement

Post by aliasmask »

This is what we do. Blinded isn't something that happens alot, so it's not that big a deal. But if you want you could create a movement macro that moves the token instead. But, if you don't know where you're going you could move through a wall if the proper checks aren't made.

Another thought is to just have conic vision extend out about 8, long enough to see the center of next square and thin enough not reveal image. Although, you can still mouseover it.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I did have a fix for that sort of thing in my Fork but it introduced another bug so had to back it out. I'm trying to fix it for my next release...
-Jamz

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

K, I figured it wasn't something simple. No big deal, we have some workarounds.

Ha, AM, you must have a nice DM! We keep getting blinded in the current campaign, its maddening! And in Maptool (as opposed to a traditional table top game), losing your vision actually means a whole lot more!

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

FYI: My solution was/is to allow tokens with "no vision" to be selected and moved within the PC exposed FoW.

In otherwords, if you click a token with "no vision", instead of a black screen, you get the same screen you normally see if you had NO token clicked (which is basically the combined vision of all tokens you own). This would also let you move NPC tokens you own within your vision without exposing any FoW. This is useful for companions, captured foes, summoned creatures, spell effects like flaming sphere, etc.
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote:FYI: My solution was/is to allow tokens with "no vision" to be selected and moved within the PC exposed FoW.

In otherwords, if you click a token with "no vision", instead of a black screen, you get the same screen you normally see if you had NO token clicked (which is basically the combined vision of all tokens you own). This would also let you move NPC tokens you own within your vision without exposing any FoW. This is useful for companions, captured foes, summoned creatures, spell effects like flaming sphere, etc.
/thumbs up

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

So instead of setting the vision of the token to "Blind" (IE, a small vision circle, where you can only see your token), instead set the token to "Has Vision = false"? Am i reading taht right?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Correct. But it only works in versions 1.4.3.19+
-Jamz

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Ah, your special branch? K, good to know...thanks!

Return to “MapTool 1.4”