Odd server situation

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
xavram
Dragon

Odd server situation

Post by xavram »

So I have a windows desktop and a mac laptop. the mac laptop is running a VM for Windows and I want to run Maptool (1.4.1.7) as the server from there.

Normally, I open the port for the local IP that I see in Maptool in Connection Information.

If I try to run the server from the desktop machine, I see this as 192.168.0.10. So, go into networking settings, open port 51234 for that IP and then start the server. No problems, laptop can connect to the desktop server just fine.

However, when I try to run the server on the laptop (which is what I want), I see a slightly odd Local Address on the windows VM, 192.168.2.135. When I open port 51234 for that IP, the desktop machine cannot connect to it (Connection refused or connection timed out). When I go to the Mac itself, its IP (according to IP config) is 192.168.0.8...but trying the same thing there yields the same result.

Any suggestions? I really need the windows VM on the mac laptop to be the server, its a way more robust machine.

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Odd server situation

Post by taustinoc »

The basic problem is that the VM has an IP address that is in a different subnet than the Mac or the desktop (192.168.2.something vs 192.168.0.something, and they can't see each other.

This is apparently pretty normal as a default setting for VMs. (My XP VM did the same thing on my Win7 machine.)

Somewhere in the configuration settings for the VM will be network settings. (I have no clue where to look for those settings on a Mac VM.) It is probably (from what I can tell) set to something like "shared network." Make a careful note of what it is currently set to (so you can set it back if you mess something up), and look for something like "bridged" or for the name of your network interface (like Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller or ASUS USB-AC51 USB Wireless Adapater, on mine). I changed mine to use the wireless network interface and I could ping it from the Win 7 desktop. (Note: I had to specifically shut down the VM - just closing the VM windows put it into hibernate mode, and the new settings didn't show up until I actually shut it down.)

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Taustinoc, thanks for the tip, I will see if I can find that!

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Thanks taustinoc, i found the "bridging" option and once it was set, was able to connect to my mac's VM! Sweet!

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

xavram wrote:Thanks taustinoc, i found the "bridging" option and once it was set, was able to connect to my mac's VM! Sweet!
Good to know I'm not just shooting in the dark.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”