InitTool Wishlist

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

jmucchiello wrote:
dLANbandit wrote:Init tool, should send a message to the chat box that says X's turn, Y's on deck
Fixed.

Actually, players should also be allowed to fetch the whole list and GM controlled entries on the list should be "hide"-able or FOW-able.
I'll add this to the bug. Hopefully I be able to make some sort of IT plugin for MT, but it is still to early to tell when that might happen.

And welcome to the boards, jmucchiello!

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

Hi,

I'm new to using InitTool, so maybe there's a way to do this already, but I can't find it.

I currently am playing Mutants and Masterminds, and I'd like to be able to easily flag a character with one or more custom-defined "states". For example, a character might be Stunned, Dazed, Fatigued and Disabled all at the same time.

Now, in Init Tools, I thought there might be two ways to track that. My first thought was that I could use the Wait State feature, but it looks like you can only have one Wait State at a time. I really need the ability to mark someone Stunned, but then also mark them as Fatigued too, and have those tracked individually so that the Stun can be removed but the Fatigue remains. So Wait State doesn't seem to fit.

Alternatively, I could use spell timers for this. The problem with spell timers is that they are slow and cumbersome to use. When you set them up in the Game Settings, all it lets you do is specify fonts, icons and a name for the "type" of timer. When you actually go to use a timer, you always have to fill out a new form with additional details. You have to select which type it is, then type in the actual instance name for that timer, set the duration, select the owner (though I think it pre-populates this with the currently selected character), and select a target it applies to. I'd really prefer to just click a button or use a menu to apply a pre-configured timer to the currently selected character.

So I'd love to see this:

In the Game Settings config, when you define a new Timer Type, add a check box called something like "Quick Use". If that box is checked, then it lets you edit a new field where you can predefine a duration, measured in rounds.

Then in the main interface, you'd need a button or menu that drops down a list of any of these "Quick Timers", ie, a list of any timer types that have the Quick Use checkbox turned on.

When you select one of these Quick Timers, instead of poping up the current form where you fill out info, it just auto-generates the timer. The duration is the pre-defined duration from the Game Settings panel. The Name field is the "Timer Type" name with a number added to the end (timers already do this if you re-use the same name). The Owner is set to blank. The target is set to the currently selected character. The initiative is set to whatever the current initiative is (which is NOT necessarily the same as the selected character's initiative).

You'd also need to modify the current pop-up form so that the Type field doesn't show any Quick Use timer types.

Would anyone else like to see something like this added? And would it be a big change or a little change? It sounds to me like a little change, but I don't know how the timers are coded so that may be incorrect.

Either way, thanks for reading, and considering it! :)

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

One more really trivial idea:

If you have defined a group, and have multiples of one type, when it generates the numbers to append to the name, it skips the first NPC then starts numbering the rest starting with number 1.

For example, I have a group with an entry called Thug, and I specify there are 8 thugs in the group. It creates one entry called Thug, then starts appending numbers like Thug 1, Thug 2, etc. up to Thug 7.

Would it be possible to either have the first thug also get a number (so they are numbered 1 to 8 ), or if the first one cannot have a number, could the numbering start with 2? Then you'd have Thug, Thug 2, Thug 3, and up to Thug 8.

Like I said, it's a trivial concern, just something I find really mildly annoying. :)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

First, welcome to the forums Lindharin!

The wait states are just a way to tell the GM that a combatant is holding their action. And, the current game settings are just for defining what a type of timer looks like. As you stated, an instance of a timer is what you need. A system to pre-define certain timers is a good idea, I'll add a tracker for it.

In the next version of Init Tool the plan is to have it be completely scriptable. So you would be able to create buttons that could generate a timer for player states as you wish. The scripts could automatically calculate the duration of the timer. You would also be able to make the script apply penalties to the players settings, if that is what is needed. How the user will enter the scripts is still up in the air, and I am open to suggestions from the group.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Lindharin wrote:One more really trivial idea:

If you have defined a group, and have multiples of one type, when it generates the numbers to append to the name, it skips the first NPC then starts numbering the rest starting with number 1.
I was trying to mimic the way Map Tool was doing its numbering. Trevor and gang :) have made a lot changes to numbering since then and I need to catch up with them. I've added a tracker to upgrade this to Map Tool's numbering standards. Maybe we can make that a library.

minneyar
Kobold

Post by minneyar »

I just discovered this tool, and I think it looks awesome. I'll have to show it off to my group when we get together this weekend.

Anyway, I do have one suggestion that I think would improve the layout; it would be very nice if the properties list in the index card view was arranged in multiple columns. As it is right now, there are a *lot* of custom properties, but most of them are very short. This results in a narrow window with a long vertical scrollbar. If the properties were displayed in columns, you could make the window wider and display everything without scrollbars. You could implement an "auto" mode that would try to automatically guess how many columns would fit in the current window width, or let the user specify how many columns they want to see in the options.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

minneyar wrote:Anyway, I do have one suggestion that I think would improve the layout; it would be very nice if the properties list in the index card view was arranged in multiple columns. As it is right now, there are a *lot* of custom properties, but most of them are very short. This results in a narrow window with a long vertical scrollbar. If the properties were displayed in columns, you could make the window wider and display everything without scrollbars. You could implement an "auto" mode that would try to automatically guess how many columns would fit in the current window width, or let the user specify how many columns they want to see in the options.
Nice idea. I second this.

(Welcome to the forums)

Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

minneyar wrote:Anyway, I do have one suggestion that I think would improve the layout; it would be very nice if the properties list in the index card view was arranged in multiple columns. As it is right now, there are a *lot* of custom properties, but most of them are very short. This results in a narrow window with a long vertical scrollbar. If the properties were displayed in columns, you could make the window wider and display everything without scrollbars. You could implement an "auto" mode that would try to automatically guess how many columns would fit in the current window width, or let the user specify how many columns they want to see in the options.
The problem in doing this is that IT doesn't know when a field is short and when it is long. I know for D&D, but IT is supposed to work for many different games. In the first release of the 1.1 version of IT the GM will be able to create their own panels to display in the index card view. Then it can be made specific to D&D and even have different views for PC's and NPC's if you wanted.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

And welcome to the boards minneyar!

minneyar
Kobold

Post by minneyar »

jay wrote:The problem in doing this is that IT doesn't know when a field is short and when it is long. I know for D&D, but IT is supposed to work for many different games. In the first release of the 1.1 version of IT the GM will be able to create their own panels to display in the index card view. Then it can be made specific to D&D and even have different views for PC's and NPC's if you wanted.
That's why it would work well to have the number of columns be user-definable; you could set it to "1" and have it behave just like it does now, so it'd be fine for long fields. :wink: However, the custom panels sounds like it might work just as well.

And thanks for the welcomes!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Question... might it be possible to have some sort of scripting to have the creature's attacks be macros when dragged & dropped into MapTool? I actually can't drag and drop right now, so I can't test exactly what gets pulled over...

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Right now all that gets dragged are properties. I allow the properties to be scripts, but MT won't until 2.0. I don't do anything with the macros so I don't know if they will attach to properties or not. I will add this to the integration tracker.

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

My wish list is as follows.

Vampire 3rd ED Ini Support
Shadowrun 4 Ini Support

Glock
---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)
Shooting from the hip... Never the lip!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Glock-9mm wrote:My wish list is as follows.

Shadowrun 4 Ini Support

Glock
Where can I find more info about these... or is it a strictly buy-the-book type thing.

(In other news, I sure love the SRD...wish there were more like it)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Glock-9mm wrote:My wish list is as follows.

Shadowrun 4 Ini Support

Glock
When IT 1.1 becomes more stable I will be happy to help create any game settings file for the games you suggested.

Return to “InitiativeTool”