InitTool Wishlist

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

InitTool Wishlist

Post by Steel Rat »

Some things I'd like Init Tool to be able to do.
  • Remember the last folder user when it's opened. Or, allow for configuring of a default folder.
  • Export the initiative list (main window) in HTML format, retaining the formatting as shown in the GUI. Something that can be pasted into a forum topic or something which allows HTML. Perhaps even allow basic BBCode formatting, as with the forum here.
That's my short list for the moment. I'm liking it the more I use it!
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

jay
RPTools Team

Re: InitTool Wishlist

Post by jay »

Steel Rat wrote:
  • Remember the last folder user when it's opened. Or, allow for configuring of a default folder.
    Tracker added.
    Steel Rat wrote:[*]Export the initiative list (main window) in HTML format, retaining the formatting as shown in the GUI. Something that can be pasted into a forum topic or something which allows HTML. Perhaps even allow basic BBCode formatting, as with the forum here.[/list][/list]
    I added a tracker for this as well, but I was wondering how you were going to use it. It will give me some more insight on how it should work.
    Steel Rat wrote:That's my short list for the moment. I'm liking it the more I use it!
    That is great! Please keep sending in ideas on how to make it better and easier to use.

Steel Rat
    Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Since 99.9999% of my gaming is forum-based, I want to be able to post the current round and who's turn it is inside a post, or inside an information box. Heck, even as a hardcoded HTML page included in another which will display under certain conditions.
    Steel Rat
    -----------
    Discord Server

Phergus
    Deity

Post by Phergus »

Sounds like it might be handy to have it throw the current list up on the system clipboard in a selected format like HTML or BBCode.

That way you could just paste it into a post or whatever.

jay
    RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The export to HTML isn't much work at all. Do you just want the list of combatants and the current indicator displayed? Or do you want all of the custom fields displayed as well? Do you need it displayed in both the table and list views, or just one of them. I don't think that the index card view can be exported as HTML, since I plan on allowing the GM to choose what that panel looks like. But, I could make the default view export.

What about the images? The checkmark is already available on the net, but the token images probably aren't. Should I just leave all the images out?

I can also make this export via ftp, like maptool, and I can also probably HTTP post it somewhere if we can decide how that should work.

jay
    RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Sounds like it might be handy to have it throw the current list up on the system clipboard in a selected format like HTML or BBCode.

That way you could just paste it into a post or whatever.
    I'll add this to the tracker.

trevor
    Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

One thing we're going to add to MT that might be useful is to render the HTML using css, and allow the user to modify the default style sheet
    Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Kepli
    Giant

Post by Kepli »

Nice Trevor :D

Steel Rat
    Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

How about all of the above, Jay. ;)

Seriously, an FTP export would be great for automation. And Phergus' suggestion is a good one too, maybe as a short-term solution

As for the icons and images, It would be very cool to be able to export the token which is assigned to the "person" in MT, but I don't know if InitTool is there yet. The current version isn't displayed in the Help>About dialog, but I'm using b8 currently.

But for now I would be perfectly happy just to substitute ACSII chars for the images and things like the check mark for the current init.
    Steel Rat
    -----------
    Discord Server

trevor
    Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Jay, you could pull the ftp post stuff out of MT and put it in rplib if you were so inclined to go that path. Might save you some keystrokes.
    Dreaming of a 1.3 release

ltwally
    Cave Troll

networked...

Post by ltwally »

For me, InitTool isn't useful for one simple reason:

It isn't networked. I need it so that I can set up a 1-2 minute / round timer, and have it automatically cycle and notify my players. It'd also make them happy if they were able to "roll" their own initiative through the tool.

It looks like a nice app... but the single most important feature (for me) is missing.

-ltwally

dLANbandit
    Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

I agree. The single most important feature in all the "other" tools (not MapTools) that don't connect and communicate to my MapTool connected players is of little to no value to me.

However as soon as they connect, I will start using them and so would the players.

Init tool, should send a message to the chat box that says X's turn.
    And MapTools/DiceTools should let the player setup his turn actions so they fire when the message comes if they want.

jay
    RPTools Team

Post by jay »

All of the tools will be integerated and networked, I'm just not sure how soon this will be done. Version 1.2 of map tool is reworking the network support, so it will be sometime after that has started.

jay
    RPTools Team

Re: InitTool Wishlist

Post by jay »

Steel Rat wrote:
    This should be fixed in build 12. Tell me if I missed any.
    Steel Rat wrote:
    • Export the initiative list (main window) in HTML format, retaining the formatting as shown in the GUI. Something that can be pasted into a forum topic or something which allows HTML. Perhaps even allow basic BBCode formatting, as with the forum here.
    There is now an export task for init tool. It is only a first cut, so take a look and see if it meets your needs. Any suggetsions on making it better are welcomed.

jmucchiello
    Kobold

Post by jmucchiello »

dLANbandit wrote:Init tool, should send a message to the chat box that says X's turn, Y's on deck
    Fixed.

Actually, players should also be allowed to fetch the whole list and GM controlled entries on the list should be "hide"-able or FOW-able.

Return to “InitiativeTool”