Build 12 Game Settings

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Build 12 Game Settings

Post by jay »

The upcoming build 12 of Init Tool has rearranged it's settings into 2 groups. The first are init tool options that are global and stored in the preferences. The second set are game specific settings that can be saved and loaded into their own file. I wanted to separate them so that the entire community could help define the settings and then share them with everybody. It also makes it easier to switch init tool between different games.

What I'd like everybody to start thinking about is what should the settings for your favorite game be? I want to get one game settings file defined for all of the games that and then place them in the gallery for all to use.

Sound good?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Seems like a good idea.

Need to get a clearer understanding of what settings are under consideration.

Are we talking just the various items found in the Settings dialog or are Timer Types, Wait States and Creature Categories also included?

Seems like Creature Categories is a natural to be Game Specific. I don't actually know what Wait States are used for but I can possibly see Game Specific Timer Types defined.

Otherwise it seems like everything that is in the Edit Setting dialog is game specific.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Here is what is what goes into the game settings in build 12:
  • Custom Properties
  • Phases
  • Wait States
  • Combatant Categories
  • Timer Types
  • Initiative die roll & tie resolution
  • Combatant lookup file name
It will eventually contain the scripts and custom index card settings as well. But that will be for later builds.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:I don't actually know what Wait States are used for...
They are just a state that can be set on a combatant. They were originally designed to show that a combatant is 'waiting' for something. In D&D it can be used to ready and action and delay your turn until later. But I even use it to show dead combatants (they're 'waiting' for a resurrection :)).

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Ahh. So in theory they could map to the Token States in MapTool in a drag-n-drop operation from IT to MT?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Hadn't thought about that, the only problem being that there is only one state in init tool while map tool allows a bunch. That could certainly be done though. Things you can do now in a drag from IT to MT is set the location on the map, token size, visiblility, shape, facing, gm name and both gm and regular notes. All of the other properties are also sent to MT's generic property list.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Well most likely the desired scenario would be that IT update a tokens state in MT so not really a normal drag-n-drop kind of thing. May be some other application along that line though.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I am still uncertain what you are wanting from us Jay.

I use D&D 3.5 so anything pertaining to that gaiming system will work for me.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I believe what he is thinking is that we should get lists of Custom Properties and note what the various other settings should be for specific game systems. Then when b12 is released, someone will put together a Game Settings file that would represent a specific game system. This Game Settings file would be uploaded to a repository on RPTools somewhere for others to use.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Yes, that is what I'm intending. I don't want everybody to have to set up init tool for their game before they can get started. There will be game settings for them available to just load into init tool and go.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Build 12 is ready for the new settings files. Define one for your favorite game and then post it here so those interested can take a look. Then I'll post them to the gallery for all to use.

Return to “InitiativeTool”