Dragging combatant removes entry

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

ego093
Giant

Dragging combatant removes entry

Post by ego093 »

In 0.1.b12, dragging a combatant to MapTool from eith GT or IT removes the combatant from the list you're dragging it. The whole token feature for the combatants is VERY cool, and I'm excited to see how it all comes together.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

If you're using windows, the default drag is a move operation. To do a copy you have to press the Control key. A little + sign shows up on the icon when it is a copy. It may be that way on other OS's but I'm not sure.

While I was coding it I was wondering if anybody would have problems. I was kinda stuck on what to do. If I don't allow moves, then drag positioning on init tool doesn't work. I was going to make copy the default action, but I've not figured out how to do this yet. What is everybody's opinion? Should I leave it the way it is and allow both move and copy? Or should I stop the move action during drag and only allow copy?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I definitely want to keep the move capability when dragging within IT. I'm quite happy with that being the default behavior.

Dragging out to MT used to be a "copy" operation now it seems to be a move. That's not good.

I can't seem to copy a token from MT to IT or GT no matter what I do. What is the trick to it? From where in MT can I drag? Map, Image Explorer, Token Tree?

Notice that with B12 my creatures file no longer works with the Lookup function. The Lookup window is totally hosed with most GUI elements only visible while I hold the mouse down over it.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Dragging out of MT is broken. When the token panel changed from a list to a tree the dragging was never hooked back up. I'll take a look and see if I can fix it. If I do it will only allow dragging from the token panel. Dragging on the map moves the tokens.

Dragging to MT from GT or IT is now a move. I think I can change that to a copy, but if I do it for one I have to do it for the other. Is that OK with everybody?

Dragging to IT from GT or to GT from IT is now a move. I think I should make it a copy as well, if everybody agrees with that.

Dragging within GT & MT(when it worked) is not allowed. Dragging within IT will do a move.

Does that sound like all the bases are covered?

ego093
Giant

Post by ego093 »

Yes - move while dragging within the same window and copy when outside. I might even say copy for everything except for dragging within the same widget. That seems like pretty standard GUI behavior.

I'm definitely able to drag to MT in 0.1.b12 with tokens showing up correctly.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:Dragging out of MT is broken. When the token panel changed from a list to a tree the dragging was never hooked back up. I'll take a look and see if I can fix it. If I do it will only allow dragging from the token panel.
That's fine. I thought maybe it was working again.
jay wrote:Dragging within GT & MT(when it worked) is not allowed.
Not important.
jay wrote:Dragging within IT will do a move.
This is the most important one. I would never want it to do a copy unless it was through a modifer key like Ctrl or something.
jay wrote:Dragging to MT from GT or IT is now a move. I think I can change that to a copy, but if I do it for one I have to do it for the other. Is that OK with everybody?
It is not okay, if we lose the move in IT. I would rather just remember to do a Ctrl-Drag to get the copy operation.
jay wrote:Dragging to IT from GT or to GT from IT is now a move. I think I should make it a copy as well, if everybody agrees with that.
That should definitely be a copy but, once again, need to keep the ability to move within the IT list.

Given that there are more copy targets for a drag from IT then move targets I guess the default could be copy as long as there was also a move ability.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Notice that with B12 my creatures file no longer works with the Lookup function. The Lookup window is totally hosed with most GUI elements only visible while I hold the mouse down over it.
Are you noticing any exceptions in the console? That is what usually stops the painting of components. If you can send me the data file and the game file you used to load it I'll see if I can figure out the problem. Just send them to my email address attached to the host.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Oddly enough no exceptions at all.

I'll do a little more testing with it tonight and if I can't figure out what is going on I'll send you the files.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:Are you noticing any exceptions in the console? That is what usually stops the painting of components.
If I find the scroll bar, scroll it and then close and reopen the lookup window then it paints the various UI elements but the grid of critters is empty.

I see that the stats defined under Custom Properties are showing up duplicated in the column headings.
jay wrote:If you can send me the data file and the game file you used to load it I'll see if I can figure out the problem. Just send them to my email address attached to the host.
I sent it to the address from the email button in your posts.

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

I'm all for the "copyby default" when going from init tool to maptool (and of course the other way around) and "move" within init tool.
I honestly can't see a reason to move a counter from init tool to maptool instead of copying it (I'm sure there are though)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I've been working on this and I have not found away to set the default action to copy instead of move. So I'm thinking about making it work this. Dragging from one tool to another tool will always be a Copy. When dragging from init tool to itself it will always be a Move. MT and GT will not allow dragging to themselves. You can still use copy/paste to copy an item in IT or GT. You can use cut and paste to move and item between IT & GT. I think this will support all of the different uses needed and provide the best default actions as everybody here needed them.

Is tis OK for the 1.0 release, or should I just leave it the way it is? I'll take a look at fixing it again after IT moves to Java 6. They have changed the available support for drag and drop and enhanced it.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I think that nails it exactly for me!

ego093
Giant

Post by ego093 »

Ya - sounds perfect.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Sounds good
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Notice that with B12 my creatures file no longer works with the Lookup function. The Lookup window is totally hosed with most GUI elements only visible while I hold the mouse down over it.
I found my bug and this will be fixed in the next build. The only thing I can't figure out is why my data file would work with the bug.

Return to “InitiativeTool”