Game last night: Disaster

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Game last night: Disaster

Post by dorpond »

I had nothing but problems last night during game (B16).

#1: I added the group "players" that I created. It was just 4 players in the list. I had no other creatures. I needed to keep track of thier order but it wasn't for combat. When I said Start Encounter, it rolled thier Init's for me automatically. I triple verified that the option was set correctly for Init to be manually entered but it wasn't listening. So I had to go inot each character and manually set the init to get it working.

#2: I went to add a timer and the rounds box was so small I couldn't see what I was typing into it.

#3: This was the game killer; I went to add a timer and POOF! The list of combatants vanished. At that point I closed InitTool and went back to real index cards.

Hope this helps Jay. During game my number one focus is keeping the action moving so I didn't spend any time trying to get details or anything. Sorry about that. Hope this helps anyway. If you want, I will try to reproduce it for you and give more details. Let me know.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Troubleshooting #1 - I found after troubleshooting that the Manual Initiative window didn't pop up because all the players were set to default by default. Once I manually changed them to PC's then the Manual Init window pops up as it should when starting a new encounter.
Last edited by dorpond on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Troubleshooting #3: I added the new timer again (but this time with the players set to PC's instead of default) and they still vanished. I got this:

TinyLaF v1.3.03
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.InitToolActions.enableActions(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.InitToolActions.intervalRemoved(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractListModel.fireIntervalRemoved(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.InitEncounter.changeVisibleList(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.BaseEncounter.changeHiddenCount(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.InitEncounter.addItem(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.InitToolActions$10.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Hey Dorpond you may want to try that with the 17 build. I was playing with it this morning and had no issues.

5 PC'c 2 NPC's 2 timers no issues.
--
Big Mac

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Yeah, I was just playing around with it now. No instant vanishes which is a good thing. :)

Can anyone tell me about this 'default' catagory that always shows up when I create groups? Can I change the default to to be PC or NPC anywhere? I couldn't find it.

Hey Jay, can I take those groups that I make with your DMGENIE export and have them show up in my group list within Maptool some how or do I always have to load them from a file?

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Game last night: Disaster

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:I had nothing but problems last night during game (B16).
I'm sorry that it was such a painful experience. :oops:
dorpond wrote:#1: I added the group "players" that I created. It was just 4 players in the list. I had no other creatures. I needed to keep track of thier order but it wasn't for combat. When I said Start Encounter, it rolled thier Init's for me automatically. I triple verified that the option was set correctly for Init to be manually entered but it wasn't listening. So I had to go inot each character and manually set the init to get it working.
As you stated in a follow up to this post, the combatant category is used to determine which combatants are players. If this becomes a problem in the future, turn on manual initiative for all combatants and only enter the inititiative for the ones that you want. The ones that are left blank will still have their initiative rolled automatically.
dorpond wrote:#2: I went to add a timer and the rounds box was so small I couldn't see what I was typing into it.
I'll fix this in the next build.
dorpond wrote:#3: This was the game killer; I went to add a timer and POOF! The list of combatants vanished. At that point I closed InitTool and went back to real index cards.
If I'm reading the stack trace right this is the same exception that you reported when you did the start encounter. It should be fixed in build 17.
dorpond wrote:Hope this helps Jay. During game my number one focus is keeping the action moving so I didn't spend any time trying to get details or anything. Sorry about that. Hope this helps anyway. If you want, I will try to reproduce it for you and give more details. Let me know.
This helps out a lot, thank you very much!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:Troubleshooting #3: I added the new timer again (but this time with the players set to PC's instead of default) and they still vanished. I got this:

TinyLaF v1.3.03
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.InitToolActions.enableActions(Unknown Source)
This is the same bug that was reported for start encounter. It should be fixed in build 17.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:Can anyone tell me about this 'default' catagory that always shows up when I create groups? Can I change the default to to be PC or NPC anywhere? I couldn't find it.
There isn't a place to set it. It does default to the one above it when you click the Add button. That way if you are entering a bunch of one type, which is usually the case, you only have to enter the category for the first one. I will change the default for the first one in the next build. I was thinking that I would make it the first non-player category defined. Is that OK? Or do you think it is important enough to have it's own setting?
dorpond wrote:Hey Jay, can I take those groups that I make with your DMGENIE export and have them show up in my group list within Maptool some how or do I always have to load them from a file?
The only way to get them into Init Tool is through a file. To get them into Map Tool you would have to drag them. I have a tracker that will allow the group to be imported from the clipboard, and this would take out the part where you have to make a file. As far as I could tell, DMGenie won't let me write any files from a script.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

jay wrote:
dorpond wrote:Hey Jay, can I take those groups that I make with your DMGENIE export and have them show up in my group list within Maptool some how or do I always have to load them from a file?
The only way to get them into Init Tool is through a file. To get them into Map Tool you would have to drag them. I have a tracker that will allow the group to be imported from the clipboard, and this would take out the part where you have to make a file. As far as I could tell, DMGenie won't let me write any files from a script.
Hey, thanks for all your help Jay. When I asked the above question, I didn't mean to write Maptool -I meant to write InitTool.

So basically, can I take the exported DMGENIE groups and add them into InitTools group list?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:So basically, can I take the exported DMGENIE groups and add them into InitTools group list?
They are loaded as their own group file. There would be one group in the file and that group would have a combatant for every creature in the DMGenie group.

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Game last night: Disaster

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:#2: I went to add a timer and the rounds box was so small I couldn't see what I was typing into it.
This is fixed in build 18.

Return to “InitiativeTool”