IT build 14

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Re: IT build 14

Post by jay »

jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:In the end my needs are pretty straightforward. When adding a combatant from the Add Combatants dialog I need to be able to enter their Initiative value directly and have that value applied. I was trying to use Mod just because it was there.
You would enter the value in your phase sort property and it would work just like I think your asking. I know it was a long time ago (and I'm old :)). but I'm pretty sure this is why we added the phase sort property. I think it does exactly what you are asking. If I were to rewrite IT I would probably just make the initiative value another custom property and then allow the GM to select the proper one. I can't go back and change it, but that would probably have been the best design. You should probably just hide the fields. You can do that everywhere but the index card. In my first build of IT 1.1 you will be able to change this too.
I added the ability to see the phase sort property on the index card for the next build. I did not change the table or list views to show the phase sort property. In the table view the phase sort property already has a column. In the list view it would require some way to identify that the value is not the initiative, and that made it look a bit busy again. Will the change to the index card be enough?

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

jay wrote:I'm glad you like it. Did you see the DMGenie script that will help you create a IT group file from a DMGenie group? There is a thread about it somewhere on the IT forum.

I'd like to hear more about the bug you saw. I've not ben able to re-create it by just adding a combatant category. Was there an exception on the console or an error message displayed? Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
I read it but the way to implement it seems a little obscure (I couldn't even manage to get the "autoammo" script to work right).

About the bug, when I enter "game setting/combatant categorie" and try to add "Ennemie", I get "the index card url'file:/c:/documents and settings/jay/workspace/initiativetool/tests/resources/testForm.jfrm' could not be opened".
"Ennemies" is added to "NPC" and "PC" but whenever I click on it, I get the same error message.
It is reproductible on two windows PC.

And, much less of a problem, the "about initiative tool" menu opens up a big blank window.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

jay wrote: Did you see the DMGenie script that will help you create a IT group file from a DMGenie group? There is a thread about it somewhere on the IT forum.
No, I did not.
Jay, I might suggesting throwing stuff like that in the User Creations section. I am very interested in that script and anything else you might have like all the creatures in the SRD (or perhaps that is built in now?)

Maybe you can build those scripts into Maptool as they are created? I think the more built into InitTool, the better for all of us, especially the new person trying it out.

I am glad to see InitTool coming along nicely! Thank Jay!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

voodoo wrote:About the bug, when I enter "game setting/combatant categorie" and try to add "Ennemie", I get "the index card url'file:/c:/documents and settings/jay/workspace/initiativetool/tests/resources/testForm.jfrm' could not be opened".
"Ennemies" is added to "NPC" and "PC" but whenever I click on it, I get the same error message.
It is reproductible on two windows PC.
I've gotten this fixed, it will be in the next build which I'll try to get out today.
voodoo wrote:And, much less of a problem, the "about initiative tool" menu opens up a big blank window.
I know what the problem is here, but I'm not sure what caused it. I'll try to get this fixed too.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:I am very interested in that script and anything else you might have like all the creatures in the SRD (or perhaps that is built in now?)
The creatures from the SRD are now a part of the default settings for Init Tool.
dorpond wrote:Maybe you can build those scripts into Maptool as they are created? I think the more built into InitTool, the better for all of us, especially the new person trying it out.
It is a DMGenie script, not an Init Tool script. I'll add it to the user creations section with some better instructions.

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

jay wrote:The creatures from the SRD are now a part of the default settings for Init Tool.
Do you mean that you can just type "chimera" and that you get all the d&d data auto-fill the relevant fields?
(too good to be true...)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The default install with InitTool now includes a DnD game settings file and a data file for the SRD monsters. You just go into the Add Combatant dialog and click on the lookup button. That should open a dialog with all of the critters listed. Select the one(s) you want and click on OK. There is also a search field.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

voodoo wrote:
jay wrote:The creatures from the SRD are now a part of the default settings for Init Tool.
Do you mean that you can just type "chimera" and that you get all the d&d data auto-fill the relevant fields?
(too good to be true...)
But it is true! There is a lookup button on the dialog to add combatants and on the group tool window. Click it and it will show a list of all of the monsters listed in the SRD including the epic and psionic monsters. Type in the name of the monster or any other information you know about it and the list will filter itself. You can also filter on any column. So if you need a CR 11 monster for a random encounter just click on the little magnifying glass and select Challenge Rating then type 11. All of the CR 11 monsters are listed for you.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

jay wrote:
voodoo wrote:
(too good to be true...)
But it is true! There is a lookup button on the dialog to add combatants and on the group tool window. Click it and it will show a list of all of the monsters listed in the SRD including the epic and psionic monsters. Type in the name of the monster or any other information you know about it and the list will filter itself. You can also filter on any column. So if you need a CR 11 monster for a random encounter just click on the little magnifying glass and select Challenge Rating then type 11. All of the CR 11 monsters are listed for you.
That worked really nice the search there is one problem with it. When you Select a creature by checking the box (when searching) it does not pull up the correct creature, even if there is only one result.

On a related note: The custom properties when displayed are displaying the end of a line of text instead of the beginning. Almost like a right justify instead of a left justify. Could they be made to wrap too?
--
Big Mac

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

jay wrote: But it is true! There is a lookup button on the dialog to add combatants and on the group tool window. Click it and it will show a list of all of the monsters listed in the SRD including the epic and psionic monsters. Type in the name of the monster or any other information you know about it and the list will filter itself. You can also filter on any column. So if you need a CR 11 monster for a random encounter just click on the little magnifying glass and select Challenge Rating then type 11. All of the CR 11 monsters are listed for you.
I don't know why but my lookup button is greyed out (so close and so far away...) whether I have already added a combatant or not.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

voodoo wrote:
jay wrote: But it is true! There is a lookup button on the dialog to add combatants and on the group tool window. Click it and it will show a list of all of the monsters listed in the SRD including the epic and psionic monsters. Type in the name of the monster or any other information you know about it and the list will filter itself. You can also filter on any column. So if you need a CR 11 monster for a random encounter just click on the little magnifying glass and select Challenge Rating then type 11. All of the CR 11 monsters are listed for you.
I don't know why but my lookup button is greyed out (so close and so far away...) whether I have already added a combatant or not.
Oh! Oh! Oh! I can answer this one teach.

You need to go to Tools -> Game Setting -> Miscellaneous then click reload next to the Combatant lookup. Then it should work.
--
Big Mac

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Big_Mac wrote:
voodoo wrote:
Oh! Oh! Oh! I can answer this one teach.

You need to go to Tools -> Game Setting -> Miscellaneous then click reload next to the Combatant lookup. Then it should work.
Heh.

Make sure that 'Init Tool Default D&D' is your current game int Tools -> Game Settings -> Choose Game. If not, select it in the Other games list and click the open button. If it isn't in the other games list that is a bug.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Big_Mac wrote:That worked really nice the search there is one problem with it. When you Select a creature by checking the box (when searching) it does not pull up the correct creature, even if there is only one result.
I found the bug and it will be fixed in the next release.
Big_Mac wrote:On a related note: The custom properties when displayed are displaying the end of a line of text instead of the beginning. Almost like a right justify instead of a left justify. Could they be made to wrap too?
That is how the tables work, not sure why it is showing the end instead of the beginning. As a user I'm not sure that I would want the text to wrap inside of the table because I couldn't see as many monster names. I'll take a look and see what I can do. You can resize the columns to be wide enough to fit the data by double clicking on the table header between the column you want to size and the next column. When the <--> sizing cursor shows up you know when you're in the right spot.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

jay wrote:
Big_Mac wrote:On a related note: The custom properties when displayed are displaying the end of a line of text instead of the beginning. Almost like a right justify instead of a left justify. Could they be made to wrap too?
That is how the tables work, not sure why it is showing the end instead of the beginning. As a user I'm not sure that I would want the text to wrap inside of the table because I couldn't see as many monster names. I'll take a look and see what I can do. You can resize the columns to be wide enough to fit the data by double clicking on the table header between the column you want to size and the next column. When the <--> sizing cursor shows up you know when you're in the right spot.
Sorry, That was in the "Index Card View". That I noted that. I saw the column resizing ability in the "Table View".
--
Big Mac

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Big_Mac wrote:Sorry, That was in the "Index Card View". That I noted that. I saw the column resizing ability in the "Table View".
Oh, that's different :)

The problem here is that it isn't possible to figure out from the custom property definition what needs to be 2 lines and what needs to be one line. If I figure it out by reading the data, the custom properties will seem to jump around when switching from one combatant to the next because some field values will be shorter than others. So I'm stuck. But, version 1.1 of IT will allow the GM to create their own display panel so that you can see the data exactly as you want it.

Return to “InitiativeTool”