Bug: Click Edit in Custom Properties

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Bug: Click Edit in Custom Properties

Post by dorpond »

I didn't add any custom properties but I was looking for a way to load them into InitTool (if it is even possible). While I was poking around, I clicked the edit button without having anything in the list and I got this in the Java Console:

TinyLaF v1.3.03
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.game.CustomPropertyController$ListController.getName(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.game.CustomPropertyController$ListController.getName(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.inittool.component.ListItemEditorController.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Dialog$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.inittool.component.RPDialog.setVisible(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.InitToolActions$47$1.done(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$5.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Just so you know, custom properties are saved and loaded with the Game Settings.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Yeah, I kind of figured that but I see no way to load a default list.

I currently have nothing in my list at all - do I need to manually add them all? Also, could this be the reason why I do not see any custom properties for the D&D lookup monsters?

I am have debating if I should just remove the whole InitTool directory and do a fresh install but maybe this is good feedback for Jay so I won't do that yet.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Can you create a new directory and install a fresh version there? Then it might be possible to figure out if this behaviour is due to old files left behind.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Actually, I use the Webstart so yeah, I could just download the zipped version and run it from there.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Nope, even when running from a different folder, it remembered all my previous settings so that is telling me it must be looking in my existing InitTool folder in my user profile.

Perhaps I will rename that folder and try again. I want to see how InitTool is supposed to run. Drat, I can't rename a .initttool folder..

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dorpond wrote:Yeah, I kind of figured that but I see no way to load a default list.
You have to use the Open button while you have the correct Game Settings file selected in the list.
dorpond wrote:I currently have nothing in my list at all - do I need to manually add them all?
Nope. Just do the above.
dorpond wrote:Also, could this be the reason why I do not see any custom properties for the D&D lookup monsters?
Yes. Until you have a list of Custom Properties the Add Combatants dialog doesn't know what properties to display.

It shouldn't be affecting you but you could delete all the old prefs stored in the registry.

Close IT and use regedit to delete this key and its subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/R/P/Tools\/Init/Tool

And of course deleting the .inittool folder under C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\

That would take you back to a new user experience.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

torstan wrote:Can you create a new directory and install a fresh version there? Then it might be possible to figure out if this behaviour is due to old files left behind.
I store a lot of settings in java preferences and the default files in the user directory. Just installing to a new directory doesn't help all that much. To reset everything on Windows you have to delete the directories C:\Documents and Settings\username\.inittool and C:\Documents and Settings\username\RPTools. Then run regedit and delete this key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\rptools\inittool'. Be careful with regedit, messing up the registry could be very very bad.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:Yeah, I kind of figured that but I see no way to load a default list.

I currently have nothing in my list at all - do I need to manually add them all? Also, could this be the reason why I do not see any custom properties for the D&D lookup monsters?

I am have debating if I should just remove the whole InitTool directory and do a fresh install but maybe this is good feedback for Jay so I won't do that yet.
It is good feedback, thanks for suffering through with me :)

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Bug: Click Edit in Custom Properties

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:I didn't add any custom properties but I was looking for a way to load them into InitTool (if it is even possible). While I was poking around, I clicked the edit button without having anything in the list and I got this in the Java Console:

TinyLaF v1.3.03
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.NullPointerException
I'm having problems recreating this. Could you give me a little more info? The steps you took, the game settings you had loaded, etc. Thanks!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Again; probably related to the fact that nothing was loaded by default and older preferences were loading from versions of old.

I really think that you should have an option under help (kinda like Maptool) to RESET ALL FACTORY SETTINGS. This way we know we are getting a fresh InitTool. It would basically wipe out that registry setting and/or other things you think to make it factory reset.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:Again; probably related to the fact that nothing was loaded by default and older preferences were loading from versions of old.

I really think that you should have an option under help (kinda like Maptool) to RESET ALL FACTORY SETTINGS. This way we know we are getting a fresh InitTool. It would basically wipe out that registry setting and/or other things you think to make it factory reset.
I've already created the tracker. :)

Return to “InitiativeTool”