fight over Alt T

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

galneweinhaw
Dragon

fight over Alt T

Post by galneweinhaw »

playing around with initTool for the first time (looking pretty sweet!)

and when I tried to add a Timer with Alt-T the Tools menu popped up.

Edit; a few questions. Is there a way to save an individual creature, or add the creature to the Lookup list?

and, is there a way to save timers? for spells that will be used regularily and such?

Thanks!

jay
RPTools Team

Re: fight over Alt T

Post by jay »

galneweinhaw wrote:and when I tried to add a Timer with Alt-T the Tools menu popped up.
I've added a tracker.
galneweinhaw wrote:Edit; a few questions. Is there a way to save an individual creature, ...
Right now there isn't a way to save a single creature other than dragging it to its own group and saving that.
galneweinhaw wrote:... or add the creature to the Lookup list?
There isn't a way within the tool to edit the lookup list yet, but I intend to do one sometime after 1.0 is ready (I just added a tracker). You can make a copy of the file called C:\Documents and Settings\username\.inittool\defaultMonsters.rpdat (on windows) and edit it by hand. It is an XML file so it is pretty easy to edit. After you edit your new file go to the Tools --> Game Settings' Miscellaneous tab and set the combatant lookup file to point to your new data file. Save your settings and it will be ready to go. It is important to make a copy so that a later version of the init tool data won't everwrite the data you've added. All files in the .inittool directory are mine :)
galneweinhaw wrote:and, is there a way to save timers?
Right now timers can only be saved in encoutners. In 1.1 I'll be extending the encounter to support date and time info so that timers can continue to exist outside of combat.
galneweinhaw wrote:for spells that will be used regularily and such?
That is an interesting suggestion. How do you expect to use this? Since there isn't any scripting support it seems like you would only be saving the name. The durations of spells are often dependant on the caster and there wouldn't any way to automatically set the affected combatants. I was thinking that when there is full scripting support the 'cast a spell' script would be able to create the timer, set it's duration properly and interact with the GM to get the proper targets if they couldn't be created automatically. But, that is a revision or 2 down the road.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Thanks for the response Jay.

Our session tonight didn't get to any actual combat, so I'll have to wait for next week to give my first "in action" review =)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Sweet! I'm looking forward to it.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The alt-t problem has been fixed in build 19. The buttons on the right side of the main tool bar no longer have buttons on them.

Return to “InitiativeTool”