Skip to content

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:51 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Dragon

Post subject: Integrating InitTool with MapTool
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:44 am 
I would love to be able to use InitTool instead of MapTool's rudimentary initiative tracker (mostly for the reminders & such), but here are the challenges I have encountered trying to figure it out in a short time:

- I can't figure out how to import a token from MT to IT, but this would be a great start. The latest versions don't run under Web Start (for me either on Mac OS X), and the stable release that does run does not seem to have a feature for importing a .rptok file.
[EDIT: I got the .zip version to work correctly: I keep forgetting to change the default Java version for apps in the Java preferences]

- I understand I need a properties map to convert properties from a MT token to IT properties: is there some way to have a default map of the same property names, and then I would just have to set up IT to use the same property names as MT? I suppose if all I really wanted in IT was the initiative modifier, I would just need a properties map for that property, wouldn't I?
- Can token states be mapped to IT states?

- I would LOVE it if InitTool events could be triggered from within MapTool (hello, macros!), or at the very least if a combatant in initTool could be 'linked' to a token in MT: so that the relevant token could easily be located.

Minimally, being able to add a token to InitTool from MapTool (i.e. quickly passing data from MapTool to InitTool) would make things much easier. Getting the two apps to talk to each other is a different story, and I imagine could be technically challenging: my amateurish suggestion would be to allow InitTool to 'connect' to MapTool through the server feature (or vice versa). But, I don't know if that's actually any easier to implement than other possible solutions. At least it would provide a conduit to pass data (and maybe events) automatically between the two apps?

I was considering designing an initiative/time manager for MapTool, and then realized: InitTool does everything I need, I just want it to talk to MapTool! How can this be improved / facilitated?

User avatar  Offline
RPTools Team

Post subject: Re: Integrating InitTool with MapTool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:47 pm 
IT & MT can work together, but it isn't easy to do just yet. IT needs a game settings file that matches the properties in a framework defined for MT. How hard this is to do depends on lots of things: complexity of framework, amount of functionality that is needed between IT & MT, etc. If all you want are the names, initiative bonus, and icons it can be fairly easy. After that is done all that is needed to select File -> Import Token... and select the .rptok file. IT will load the data it needs from an RPTOK file.

User avatar  Offline
Cave Troll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:52 am 
I realize that this thread is over one year dead, but I am new to rptools, and I have been learning MapTool for the past week or so, and I just read this for the first time...

Am I to understand that I need to save off each and every token in my campaign (lots of tokens) to an RPTOK file in order to use them in InitiativeTool? (assuming I want the integration mentioned above)

I hope not.
I am hoping that after one year, these two tools would maybe talk to each other?

User avatar  Offline
RPTools Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:23 am 
There is still no integration between the two tools.

User avatar  Offline
Cave Troll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:22 am 
Ok, thanks.

I suppose I'll have to write a basic campaign macro.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]