The tool is immobile

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

empty_other
Cave Troll

The tool is immobile

Post by empty_other »

Yes, thats right. Immobile. I cant take the program with me on a memorystick and still keep my settings. Any chance you could add an option to create and locate the .initool folder from within the same folder as where the program itself is located?
Thanks.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm sure I can do something about that, but it might take awhile. The settings are saved using the Java Preferences API and it saves them in different places for different OS's. They aren't saved with the default configuration files in the .inittool directory. Are there any specific settings that you need moved from machine to machine? The .inittool directory contains common files which are the same on every system with the same version of Init Tool installed. Eventually there will be a combined zip file with all of the data files in it that can be moved from system to system, but that isn't available yet.

I've added a tracker.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I've been thinking about this for MapTool. It makes it tricky to truly uninstall and resinstall fresh. And OSX puts the info in the darndest places.

Perhaps we should build a preferences hook that stores the files within the install path.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

That might be a good idea. I've done it before, so I just need to look up the code and implement it for RPTools. Hmmmm..... wonder where I put that code.....

LordShard
Cave Troll

Post by LordShard »

Java can make files. You already have the option of saving your campaign in Maptools and the ability to reload it. My idea is

After first use, when you goto close it, it asks if you want to save your settings to a file. It could very simply be a a txt file with a bunch of CSVs. Then you could simply have an "Import/Export Settings" in the File drop down menu.

If you choose import it opens a file manager dialog, then browse to where the file is, and BAM.

If you choose Export it opens a file manager bx open then it saves the settings, so that it can be later imported.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Are you talking about the game settings data? You can already save that anywhere you want. Go to Tools --> Game Settings and the first panel that pops up lets you save your game level settings into a file. The rest of the settings are for window positions, default files, last used directory, etc. and are for the most part system dependent. There are a couple of settings, for the timer and the manual initiative entry flags that might be worth having in an export file. Are these the settings you are talking about?

Return to “InitiativeTool”