Stat Block Reader

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Pfhreak
Cave Troll

Post by Pfhreak »

Blakey wrote:
Pfhreak wrote:Blakey, those stat blocks are not in a standard format, but they are only a few punctution marks away from being readable by my script. I'll let you know more about that once I get a finalized version .2
Yeah, I know they're not standard but I think they are fairly standard for Necromancer Games who I buy virtually all my modules off. The ability to read that format stat block would save me hour upon hour in effort. You have no idea how grateful I'd be!
Version .2 will be much more flexible. Odds are you will only need to add a period and a few line returns to get yours working.
P.P.S Can you please copy those examples into a local file - I'd like to edit my post and get rid of them as I've realised they are copyright...
Done. :oops:

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Pfhreak wrote:Version .2 will be much more flexible. Odds are you will only need to add a period and a few line returns to get yours working.
I know this is very lazy but it would make such a huge difference if I could just copy and paste *exactly* as the stat blocks are into your application, without having to do anything. The difference between copying swaths of stats and just pasting en masse into an application that will take multiple input like that and work perfectly, and having to edit each entry is actually immense. Okay, so it will be shed loads less work than I had to do to enter all the NPCs in now - copying and pasting each individual entry into XML fields - but still it would be awesome if I could just chuck an NPC appendix at your application and have it understand it.

FWIW, I'd suggest that once you have done this you go out there and look at other tools than Init Tool (e.g. DMGenie, RPExplorer, CharacterTool, PCGen) and see if you can't work out how to export the stat blocks you've read into your application into a format that they understand - then you'd have a Universal Stat Block Reader (USBR) which could read any stat block and generate an entry for all popular tools. That would get used by the whole online D&D community I reckon!

Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

Return to “InitiativeTool”