Importing?

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

mikey
Giant

Importing?

Post by mikey »

Hey Jay!

Thanks for such a great program. I have a now defunct program that has a ton of monsters programmed into the software. I can convert the monster and npc data to xml file. Is there anyway I could up load that file striaght into Inittool? I am a computer moron and I think I have been infected with ID10T error, so I would need the rated G version of explination please.

Thanks in advance,
Mikey :wink:

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

If you have the data in XML it should be fairly easy to convert it into Init Tool data which is also XML. Do you know how to write XSL? If not, send me some of the XML you want to convert and I'll see if I can write it for you.

mikey
Giant

Yikes

Post by mikey »

yeah I looked at xsl and I dunno?

questions

where so you get all yyour baddies from and how do you update tokens on init tool

I mean how do I upload the token pics onto init tool

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

File->New Combatants

Click "Add"

Name it something.

Click "Edit"

There's a property that says "Token." It should have a red "X" Click the "..." button to the right and find the file you want.

---

Alternatively you can click "Lookup" instead of "Add" and then edit one of the existing monsters.

mikey
Giant

YAHHHHOOO!

Post by mikey »

Like a champion...you guys rock.

Mikey :!:

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Yikes

Post by jay »

mikey wrote:yeah I looked at xsl and I dunno?
Send your XML files to my email address (at the bottom of this post) and I'll take a look and see if I can help out.
mikey wrote:where so you get all yyour baddies from
They are all of the SRD monsters. There is a site run by Andargor that parses all of the SRD files into XML. I wrote XSL to convert that into the data file I use for all the monsters.
mikey wrote:how do you update tokens on init tool

I mean how do I upload the token pics onto init tool
Just as Hawke says. You can also drag and drop files or pictures from a browser onto the big red X on the edit dialog.

dDemonicAngels
Kobold

Post by dDemonicAngels »

What about the monsters in my non-SRD splatbooks. I've got them in eTools but they are in individual files of unknown type (to me).

Has anyone done work on the splat books? (Or is this verbotten to discuss here.) I'd love to get them all in the tool. Any ideas?

dDA

mikey
Giant

STG

Post by mikey »

STG (swear to god) that is exactly why I was asking about import I have the exact same software.

Mikey :!:

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dDemonicAngels wrote:What about the monsters in my non-SRD splatbooks. I've got them in eTools but they are in individual files of unknown type (to me).

Has anyone done work on the splat books? (Or is this verbotten to discuss here.) I'd love to get them all in the tool. Any ideas?

dDA
RPTools can't really do anything outside of the SRD that isn't Open Game License. As far as I know no one else in the community has added the splatbooks either.

mikey
Giant

My thoughts

Post by mikey »

I know the content is WOTC copyright, but i bought those rights when I purchased the product (E-tools). As long as I dont resell or offer to share the copyrighted material I should be able to display it in any fashion I choose.

So I choose to view through Init Tool :wink:

Mikey

all the info is there I just want to see it in inittool***for my own personal use***

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

The problem is that other people cannot share that data to you and vise versa.

Now, if MonsterA was renamed to FOO and his special signifying ability to BAR - we might be able to tell you how to get FOO with BAR in to IT. ;)

mikey
Giant

Oh

Post by mikey »

I see said the blind man. I am working on some work around so hopefuly.

Mikey

Matrissa the Enchantress
Giant

Converter for Andrinor's SRD XML

Post by Matrissa the Enchantress »

jay wrote:
mikey wrote:where so you get all yyour baddies from
They are all of the SRD monsters. There is a site run by Andargor that parses all of the SRD files into XML. I wrote XSL to convert that into the data file I use for all the monsters.
And is there anywhere that we could download your XSL converter for Andargor's SRD XML (or download your converted version of these files)?

(Just so I don't have to write one myself...)

Oh, and is there an import function or, assuming you are so kind as to share your XSL converter (*hint hint*), will I have to do some jiggery-pokery to actually make the converted data available inside InitTool? (I haven't played around with the application enough yet to know what it's actually capable of.)

~Matrissa~
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I've added the XSL used to convert Andargor's data and an XML file used by the XSL to add the image URL's to the converted XML to my gallery album. You can get the data from Andargor's site here. That zip file contains a file named monster.xml that is converted by the XSL to create an Init Tool .rpdat file.

Init Tool places the data file it uses in the default D&D data at C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\.inittool\defaultMonsters.rpdat on Windows. That is the file I generate using the above scripts. I modify the actual output from the scripts to remove some blank lines and some bugs that are in the SRD that Andargor parsed to create his XML file.

To load a .rpdat file into Init Tool go to the Miscellaneous tab in the Tools->Game Settings dialog. Enter the file name in the Combatant Lookup file field. This file is loaded into a database by Init Tool and then displayed when adding combatants by pressing the Lookup button. So if the file is changed after it is loaded press the Reload button on the Miscellaneous tab so that the changes are available in Init Tool.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jay wrote:I've added the XSL used to convert Andargor's data and an XML file used by the XSL to add the image URL's to the converted XML to my gallery album. You can get the data from Andargor's site here. That zip file contains a file named monster.xml that is converted by the XSL to create an Init Tool .rpdat file.
Can you provide a step by step method to get his monster.xml file into Init tool's database?

Return to “InitiativeTool”