Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Sure, here you go:

Step 1. Download Andargor's XML data.
Step 2. Create an XSL transform.
Step 3. Execute the transform and save the output.

How's that?

(j/k, of course. :))

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:Step 2. Create an XSL transform.
So what button do I push on my mouse to do this? :P

Can someone just do the "transform" to produce the file we need to "plug in" to init tool and make it available somewhere?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I've placed all of the XSL files in my gallery:

1.1 XSL
1.0 XSL
Image Lookup

I use Xalan to do the transforms. There are some Java calls in the XSL so you may have to use that processor for them to work. The two XSL files are for the 1.1 and 1.0 versions of the data files which are quite different. The Image Lookup file is used by both of the XSL files to add images to the output files. Just place it in the same directory as the other two.

Running Xalan will create an XML file in rpdat format. That 1.1 version of that file is in the C:\Documents and Settings\user-name\.inittoolDbg\game\d20fantasy\defaultMonsters.rpdat file on a Windows box. If you are going to make changes for d20 tell me what they are and maybe I can add them back to the default monsters for everybody's use.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jay wrote:I've placed all of the XSL files in my gallery:

1.1 XSL
1.0 XSL
Image Lookup

I use Xalan to do the transforms. There are some Java calls in the XSL so you may have to use that processor for them to work. The two XSL files are for the 1.1 and 1.0 versions of the data files which are quite different. The Image Lookup file is used by both of the XSL files to add images to the output files. Just place it in the same directory as the other two.

Running Xalan will create an XML file in rpdat format. That 1.1 version of that file is in the C:\Documents and Settings\user-name\.inittoolDbg\game\d20fantasy\defaultMonsters.rpdat file on a Windows box. If you are going to make changes for d20 tell me what they are and maybe I can add them back to the default monsters for everybody's use.
I hate to sound dense regarding this... but I have no idea what XSL is... or what Xalan is.. let alone how to actually go through the process you seem to be describing above. It sounds like I use some tool/program called Xalan and some kind of XSL converter file to process the XML files from Andargor that will produce some kind of dat file that I can put in the "doc settings" directory for IT. And then I have to do something else with an "Image Lookup File" so that IT will look for and display images properly.

But even if I have the process somewhat understood in principle, it's still a ways away from being able to easily do what needs to be done. Can't someone just create the dat file we need to put in the doc settings directory and save a novice a whole lot of trouble?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. The monster data files are shipped with IT. They should be installed by default for the either of the D&D game settings files. If they're not showing up go to the Choose Game tab on the Tools->Game Settings dialog and select one of the D&D settings files. You access the monster files through the Lookup button on the Group Tool window or the Add Combatant dialog window. If they are still not showing up then press the Help->Reset Init Tool button and see if they are available.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jay wrote:I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. The monster data files are shipped with IT. They should be installed by default for the either of the D&D game settings files. If they're not showing up go to the Choose Game tab on the Tools->Game Settings dialog and select one of the D&D settings files. You access the monster files through the Lookup button on the Group Tool window or the Add Combatant dialog window. If they are still not showing up then press the Help->Reset Init Tool button and see if they are available.
Cool. I think I have it now.... though I tried selecting the DND file from the Tools->Game Settings and the program began to hang and I had to kill the process. I should probably begin messing around with the 1.0 version first... the new timer stuff you mentioned just sounded pretty interesting. ;)

Return to “InitiativeTool”